The National & Arcade Fire was legend(wait for it...) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The National & Arcade Fire was legend(wait for it...)

Jim Clark
04-22-2011, 06:48 AM
DARY! Barney Stinson rules.

Clearly most folks were there to see AF but the outdoor venue was still about 2/3 full to catch The National. We thought that maybe The National rocked a bit harder then they had a couple of months earlier at the Uptown but I think there was a better chance that it was just louder. Apparently Matt had shot himself in the foot the previous day but he still managed to hobble around just fine. The best part of the show was this time they did finally play About Today, in honor of Gerard Smith the TV On The Radio bassist who had succumbed to lung cancer earlier in the day. A somber moment to be sure.

Personally I think that the main and opening acts were reversed but based on the capacity crowd and the energy inspired by Arcade Fire clearly demonstrates that I was in the minority on that belief. AF opened with Month of May which was clearly a more focused and coherent version than at the Grammy finale. That rendition inspired more than 1 wtf's around the country. The real barn burner though was awe-inspiring second song, Ready to Start. I'm looking for a bootleg just to experience that again.

The AF was hot, no doubt about it. Things did bog down just a bit around Rococo and a couple of the more subdued tracks about 1/3 of the way through. Still, AF plays what is probably an insignificant KC show just like it was their first and perhaps last gig ever. Their legend will continue to grow based on their live energy alone. Also very cool was Win pointing out how lucky they were to have The National open for them. He also mentioned that LCD Soundsystem opened for them the last time they came to KC. "you guys realize that opening acts aren't usually this good, right?" Win asked with conviction. We know. All in all, an epic evening - a show for the ages and every other cliche' you can think of.

Oh, and yes, I was called "sir" on more than one occasion : ) I need to get me some hipster specs or grecian formula. Maybe both!

Set Lists:

The National: Anyone's Ghost; Mistaken for Strangers; Blood Buzz Ohio; Slow Show; Squalor Victoria; Afraid of Everyone; Conversation 16; Abel; England; Fake Empire; Mr. November; Terrible Love; About Today.

Arcade Fire: Month of May; Ready to Start; Rebellion (Lies); Neighborhood No.2 (Laika); No Cars Go; Haiti; Empty Room; Neighborhood No. 4 (7 Kettles); Rococo; The Suburbs; The Suburbs (Continued); Intervention; We Used to Wait; Keep the Car Running; Neighborhood No. 1 (Tunnels); Wake Up. Encore: Neighborhood No. 3 (Power Out); Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains).

3LB
04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jim, sounds like a kickass show with two great acts. I'd like to catch that show but I'm sure by time AF gets to the Pungent Sound, I'm sure the warm-up act will be a band that just just finished a mall tour or something, and it will be on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jim Clark
04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks Jim, sounds like a kickass show with two great acts. I'd like to catch that show but I'm sure by time AF gets to the Pungent Sound, I'm sure the warm-up act will be a band that just just finished a mall tour or something, and it will be on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Oh, we were there on a Wednesday! Outside and it wasn't a brilliant Spring day but it was actually not as cold as I thought it was gonna be. Not many of the hipsters wanted to wear coats since they cover up the ink and ironic t-shirts. I did notice however that it was hard for them to remain looking cool once they were freezing their acces off!

Mr MidFi
04-25-2011, 05:57 AM
We saw them Friday night at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago. It's a seriously god-awful venue, but it didn't matter a bit... much rocking was had. One of the best shows I've seen in a good, long time. And I'd say about 3/4 of the crowd was there and fully engaged for The National's set. Which was nice.

Win thanked the crowd profusely, thanked the National graciously (saying they're "way too good to be opening for us"), and thanked those of us who were there for their Lollapalooza triumph in August. The set list was fairly similar to the one JC posted, but they also played Sprawl 1, which they'd never played for an audience before.

Side note: their show last night was broadcast & streamed live on WXRT and wxrt.com. On Easter!

Jim Clark
05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
We saw them Friday night at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago. It's a seriously god-awful venue, but it didn't matter a bit... much rocking was had. One of the best shows I've seen in a good, long time. And I'd say about 3/4 of the crowd was there and fully engaged for The National's set. Which was nice.

Win thanked the crowd profusely, thanked the National graciously (saying they're "way too good to be opening for us"), and thanked those of us who were there for their Lollapalooza triumph in August. The set list was fairly similar to the one JC posted, but they also played Sprawl 1, which they'd never played for an audience before.

Side note: their show last night was broadcast & streamed live on WXRT and wxrt.com. On Easter!

That FM broadcast is loaded up on the Dime bootleg site, I'm grabbing it now. Set list is a bit different but like most of the shows, similar to the KC show. The show you attended is posted too but I think I'm gonna live with the FM broadcast. If you want a copy, PM me with your address and I'll send one to you.

jc

Finch Platte
05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Barney Stinson rules.
He's the awesomest, most best-lookingest, greatest guy ever!

My girlfriend Coby rules too.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/How-I-Met-Your-Mother/Images/cobie-smulders-1.jpg

Barney:
Never screw over a girl whose last name ends in a vowel, because she's got brothers.

Mr MidFi
05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
That FM broadcast is loaded up on the Dime bootleg site, I'm grabbing it now. Set list is a bit different but like most of the shows, similar to the KC show. The show you attended is posted too but I think I'm gonna live with the FM broadcast. If you want a copy, PM me with your address and I'll send one to you.

jc

Abso-stinkin-lutely! You have mail.

I thank you, and my wife thanks you even more.

Mr MidFi
05-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks again, Jim. We listened to disc 1 of the AF boot last night, before the Bulls game. Needless to say, your disc was the highlight of the evening. Very good sound, for a boot!