Game of Thrones??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones???

Worf101
04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Well I watched HBO's latest "dramatic" series with some interest. I watched the first episode last night on rebroadcast and I must say I'm both disappointed and confused. First, too many kingdoms, too many characters too many story lines thrown at you for you to do any but say WTF for the first hour. This is obviously a series where it behooves you to read the books first. But I've not read fantasy since I finished the Ring Trilogy for the 5 time some years ago. Casting is all English and seems adequate. The men are all buff save for a couple of exceptions and the women are all stunningly beautifull and usually nekid. The whole thing is like "Spartacus Blood and Sand" meets "Lord of the Rings" with the latter getting all the blood and sex from the former.

I personally don't see it making it unless the find a way to bring people into the mythos more easily. A 15 minute primer on the realms and alliances of this mythical land would've been helpfull. During the behind the scenes on the making of this series they show the author several times. And after looking at this fat, hairy, little troll I can tell why there's so much sex and violence in the show as that's usually what springs from the minds of man/boys still living in Mom's basement. What a mess.

Worf

drseid
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I can see how you were confused after watching the first episode. My brother, who also has not read the book(s) saw it and had the exact same feeling..

In my case I started reading the books a couple weeks before it aired, and it actually follows the book very closely (and I personally love the show)... The problem you are having (and my brother as well as many others) is just as you stated it... it is a lot of characters and setup, and without reading the book it can be quite daunting at first.

Speaking as someone who is reading the books, I do suggest you try and stick with it because the book is absolutely incredible, and since the show is tracking the book closely, I expect great things from the series.

Worf101
04-22-2011, 04:18 AM
I can see how you were confused after watching the first episode. My brother, who also has not read the book(s) saw it and had the exact same feeling..

In my case I started reading the books a couple weeks before it aired, and it actually follows the book very closely (and I personally love the show)... The problem you are having (and my brother as well as many others) is just as you stated it... it is a lot of characters and setup, and without reading the book it can be quite daunting at first.

Speaking as someone who is reading the books, I do suggest you try and stick with it because the book is absolutely incredible, and since the show is tracking the book closely, I expect great things from the series.
In that I hate to slam things prematurely, I did a little research into the books and the basic background of the world and it's mythos. That helped me a little but I shouldn't have had to do all that on my own. I guess the author of the books built his own world and religions as did Frank Herbert with Dune. According to some sources half the information you need is contained in appendices in the back of the books much like the Dune series.

I may be proved to be wrong. HBO has already signed up for a second season but I don't see filming of this series getting any cheaper. After the way they abandoned "Rome", "Carnivale", "Deadwood" and other great series, I don't think you should get too attached to this show. Not because it ain't good, but because quality doesn't always butter the bread.

Worf

drseid
04-22-2011, 04:29 AM
In that I hate to slam things prematurely, I did a little research into the books and the basic background of the world and it's mythos. That helped me a little but I shouldn't have had to do all that on my own. I guess the author of the books built his own world and religions as did Frank Herbert with Dune. According to some sources half the information you need is contained in appendices in the back of the books much like the Dune series.

I may be proved to be wrong. HBO has already signed up for a second season but I don't see filming of this series getting any cheaper. After the way they abandoned "Rome", "Carnivale", "Deadwood" and other great series, I don't think you should get too attached to this show. Not because it ain't good, but because quality doesn't always butter the bread.

Worf
Yeah, Carnivale was a particular blow for me, as I felt in season 2 it really came into its own, and by season's end I was completely hooked only to have HBO pull the plug.

BTW, you are correct about the appendices in the books. I confess I have not read them yet, but they are indeed there. I think you are right in saying that if they wanted to ensure the series success, it may have been more prudent to ease folks into things more gently for the TV series as opposed to following the intricacies of the book so closely from the get-go. I am loving it, but to the uninitiated I could see the other point of view readily. Hang in there, the payoff for the mental investment is huge, as the book gets better with every page. :-)

---Dave

kevlarus
05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Worf

Even when you start reading the books, the list of characters and plots appear daunting, but if you stick with it, you begin to follow the main set of characters. Believe me, they're still in the "setting the stage" of things to come. I've read all 4 books that have been published thus far and the 5th I believe (hope so anyway) is due sometime this summer.

I can definitely see it as being a series to re-watch on DVD/Blu.

We subscribed to HBO purely to watch this series.

Glen B
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not confused, and I haven't even read the books. IMO the show is no less confusing than Lost, which I grew tired of after a while. I actually like Game of Thrones a lot so far. Its interesting to see Sean Bean (Lord Stark) playing a good guy for once -- a far cry from his typical ruthless, psycopathic characters. It seems like he's packed on a few pounds for the role.

Worf101
05-11-2011, 05:16 PM
I must admit, unlike the Imp, the series has grown on me immensely. Best series start mebbe since "True Blood". I enjoy it now and feel that the small Lannister is one of the if not the best character in the series. I think the Callissi is a good second.

Worf

drseid
05-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I must admit, unlike the Imp, the series has grown on me immensely. Best series start mebbe since "True Blood". I enjoy it now and feel that the small Lannister is one of the if not the best character in the series. I think the Callissi is a good second.

Worf
Tyrion "The Imp" is my favorite as well, with Arya a close second... I did not initially warm to the Danny character (book or TV series), yet as I read further she grew on me...

Glad to hear you have joined the fan-base, Worf. :-)

---Dave

Woochifer
05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Count me as another one who's glad to have toughed out the first few episodes. My assessment of the first episode was similar to Worf's, very mixed. But, I saw some potential and kept tuning in, and the last few weeks have paid off big time. The female characters in particular have gotten very interesting -- we now see the real power behind the throne.

And good news that the ratings have steadily increased, so it looks like the viewership at the end of this season will be even higher than the much-hyped and promoted premiere. Bodes well for a long run, considering that the plan is to base each season on the next novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, which come July will have a total of five books with two more planned.

With Sunday's big plot twist, this really is like a Medieval version of the Sopranos, and I mean that in a good way. Should be interesting to see just how far Ned Stark and Calisi are willing to go, when all they really want is to go home. Now, I'm really bummed that we only got 3 more episodes before the season finale!

"I told you not to trust me..."

Worf101
06-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Count me as another one who's glad to have toughed out the first few episodes. My assessment of the first episode was similar to Worf's, very mixed. But, I saw some potential and kept tuning in, and the last few weeks have paid off big time. The female characters in particular have gotten very interesting -- we now see the real power behind the throne.

And good news that the ratings have steadily increased, so it looks like the viewership at the end of this season will be even higher than the much-hyped and promoted premiere. Bodes well for a long run, considering that the plan is to base each season on the next novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, which come July will have a total of five books with two more planned.

With Sunday's big plot twist, this really is like a Medieval version of the Sopranos, and I mean that in a good way. Should be interesting to see just how far Ned Stark and Calisi are willing to go, when all they really want is to go home. Now, I'm really bummed that we only got 3 more episodes before the season finale!

"I told you not to trust me..."

Yeah, I have to agree 100% the story's gotten good. And it's true the women seem to be as powerful as the men in this particular fantasy world. I loved Karl Drogo's pre-game speech. There's a program I can get behind.

"You b***hes come into MY hood. Threaten my boo and my shorty with some old poisen apple bulls**t!!!! Allright, now hear dis, I'm gettin ALL my posse and we gonna RIDE! And I mean ride right over all you punks ass mutha's. Oh yeah, it's on now, we gonna steal your bling, snatch up your ride, push up on your ladies and snatch your crown!!!"

I loved it.

Worf

thekid
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I have been hanging in there with it and the past several episodes have been very good.
Can't wait to see where they go next with Lanaster vs. Stark feud.

Worf101
06-02-2011, 05:58 AM
I have been hanging in there with it and the past several episodes have been very good.
Can't wait to see where they go next with Lanaster vs. Stark feud.

But I must admit, it ain't looking too good for Ned right now.

Worf

Woochifer
06-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I have to agree 100% the story's gotten good. And it's true the women seem to be as powerful as the men in this particular fantasy world. I loved Karl Drogo's pre-game speech. There's a program I can get behind.

"You b***hes come into MY hood. Threaten my boo and my shorty with some old poisen apple bulls**t!!!! Allright, now hear dis, I'm gettin ALL my posse and we gonna RIDE! And I mean ride right over all you punks ass mutha's. Oh yeah, it's on now, we gonna steal your bling, snatch up your ride, push up on your ladies and snatch your crown!!!"

I loved it.

Worf

AWESOME translation! Shoulda used your version for the subtitles. :thumbsup:

Drogo was one of the less interesting characters until he "crowned" Viserys last week. But, man is he ever sticking up for his woman! Talk about Calisi having a guy by the b*lls! :yikes:

Worf101
06-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Things just git more and more interestin' round here. Man this show is movin' along at a crackling pace.

Worf

Woochifer
06-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Things just git more and more interestin' round here. Man this show is movin' along at a crackling pace.

Worf

I was thinking the same thing with the latest episode. They've really stepped up the pace, and have the story moving full steam ahead on all fronts (might also help that Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin wrote the screenplay for the latest episode).

The double-dealing at King's Landing continues (and Arya registering her first kill), the Stark and Lannister forces headed towards a battlefield collision, Drogo pillaging and destroying his way towards the sea (so he can grab a throne for his precious boo), and now the White Walkers are getting ready to cause havoc in the north.

We only got two more episodes and a big load of story threads still dangling. This is getting really good, and I'm bummed that we'll have to wait 9 more months until the series picks up again!

Oh, and I was just imagining your play-by-play call when Drogo performed that savage tracheotomy after battling an armed warrior with his bare hands! :10:

Worf101
06-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I'm totally stoked, gonna be a looooong 9 months. But we survived it with Tony and the boys and Stringer Bell and Omar, we can hold out for the Starks and the Lanisters... LOL. I do have one bit of foreshadowing though. White Walkers and their zombie minions can only be killed (thus far) by fire!!! Be nice to have a couple of fire breathing scaly things flying around wouldn't it?

Worf

markw
06-08-2011, 07:53 AM
White Walkers and their zombie minions can only be killed (thus far) by fire!!! Be nice to have a couple of fire breathing scaly things flying around wouldn't it?

WorfYou must have been checking out spoilers.

Worf101
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
You must have been checking out spoilers.

Just seems logical. I mean hey this is not the FIRST mythical realm I've been to. Only thing missing are the elves, trolls and orcs. How different can it be?

Worf

thekid
06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Man I did not know that there were only 2 shows left.
They are building too many plot lines to not leave you twisting after they go on hiatus.

Well by that time the "Walking Dead" over on AMC should fill the void...... :idea:

kevlarus
06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Man I did not know that there were only 2 shows left.
They are building too many plot lines to not leave you twisting after they go on hiatus.

Well by that time the "Walking Dead" over on AMC should fill the void...... :idea:

Now you see what it's like to wait 2 years for the next installment of the book (4th book).

I just can't believe the first season is almost over already.

Worf101
06-13-2011, 04:33 AM
At the rate they're going, one book per year, they'll be outta material in 4 years. Since most BIG HBO Series run 5 or longer we may have a problem. They either slow down next year or start varying the script.

Worf

drseid
06-13-2011, 04:46 AM
At the rate they're going, one book per year, they'll be outta material in 4 years. Since most BIG HBO Series run 5 or longer we may have a problem. They either slow down next year or start varying the script.

Worf

Well, the fifth book comes out in less than a month (July 12th), so they have another year's worth of material past the current 4. Maybe by the time they have released the TV version of "A Dance With Dragons" GRRM will have the sixth book out.

The challenge, IMO, will be the seventh volume (that is supposed to be the final book in the series) assuming the release pace stays about the same as used for the 4th and 5th volumes in the series. GRRM may quicken the pace though, as he has a double financial interest in finishing the series now. I just hope the quality does not dip in the process.

In my case, I am just starting the third book in the series and it just keeps getting better. :-)

---Dave

Worf101
06-14-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm old school in some ways. I like my villains bad and my hero's good, however we ALL know that, with a few exceptions like Stalin and Hitler, most GOOD or BAD characters run in shades of grey. Never was that more true than in GoT. I wanted to hate the Queen completely but the love and empathy she's shown Sirsy has softened me a bit. The Imp is far more fitting to be head of Lannister clan than any other's in him family. Even Jamie shows flashes of honor when it suits him. And I wanted to hate the Spider but he's been as good a friend to Ned as any while in the dungeons.

The only true "bastards" (in that I want to boil their gizzards in oil for lunch) are Tywin Lannister and that backstabbin' bastard Littlefinger. Both of them need to die slow, horrible, dispicable deaths.

And like in all great narratives (see The Godfather) the heros have flaws as well. Ned much like my fave Klingon, allows his singular sense of honor to blind him to the fact that he who practices honor and mercy usually winds up gettin' f**ked in the end. It ain't a nice thought, but it is often true. And I also don't trust Lord Greyjoy as far as I can trust him, but thus far he's been loyal and true.

Lots to think on, lot's to digest and so far, I'm enjoying the ride.

Worf

Woochifer
06-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I must say this last episode left me speechless! I read afterwards that the plot twist was in the original book, but man what daring storytelling. Even though the ending was telegraphed, I still couldn't believe it when I saw it. A series that can truly surprise me is very rare.

So many plot elements that are just now getting ripe, it's almost unfair that now we're down to the final episode! The mythical elements are now ready to enter the story, but we'll probably have to wait until next season to finally see them in full bloom -- the rebirth of the dragons, the White Walker invasion, and the bloodmagic subplot.

And all kinds of questions. With this boy king throwing a pubescent tantrum, what will happen when he finds out that his captured uncle is actually his father? And what of Stannis, King Robert's brother, the other potential heir to the throne (yes, they're casting that character for next season)?

I totally hear you on Greyjoy. With Robb now feeling his oats, Greyjoy is perfectly positioned as a backstabber.

One article that I read indicated that this series is ultimately about the Stark and Lannister children. Ned and the other adults are just the placeholders to set the chess match in motion.

Rumors are that the next couple of books might get split up into multiple seasons, because they are so thematically dense

drseid
06-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I heard they might split future seasons into 2 years a piece as well. That said, while books 2 and 3 are monster length at a combined 2100+ pages in total, I think it would hurt the believability to lengthen each to 2 seasons apiece.

The reason for this is they have already aged the children in the series from where they were in the book... Sansa, for example, in the book was only 11 if I remember correctly, and Danny only a year or two older. Obviously they are much older in the tv series. Splitting the seasons will just make the "children" much less believable as time goes on. And their respective ages play a role in their decision making throughout the series, so it is relatively important.

I think if they could just up the episode count to 12 or 13 per season they could cover books 2 and 3 as well as the 1st one that is slightly shorter than those two. Book four is less long, so that could easily fit into the current format...

Should be interesting...

Dave

Worf101
06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
That was special. Seems that its gonna be a loooooong wait till next Spring. But at least there's True Blood and Boardwalk Empire to keep me from breaking out in hives. Man, I hate being so easily hooked. But I did manage to pass the aflliction on. A co-worker of mine cussed me out this morning. He doesn't have HBO at home but managed to find it in a hotel he was staying in while on the road... He watched 8 episodes in a row in one night... THAT is being hooked.

Later

Woochifer
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Great season finale last night, and wow what a final scene! Sets up the next season perfectly, and you could say that about just about every major character. Each of them went through some kind of transformation as the season rolled on, and the finale was their point of arrival/departure.

Lots of big events coming up (Sansa and Joffrey's wedding for example), and obviously, major characters yet to be introduced (Stannis is looming in the background).

Now, I'm just itching for the next season to begin (Doctor Who had its mid-season finale last week, but at least there I'll only have to wait until the fall). I might have to start reading the books to tie myself over in the meantime!

Woochifer
06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
That was special. Seems that its gonna be a loooooong wait till next Spring. But at least there's True Blood and Boardwalk Empire to keep me from breaking out in hives. Man, I hate being so easily hooked. But I did manage to pass the aflliction on. A co-worker of mine cussed me out this morning. He doesn't have HBO at home but managed to find it in a hotel he was staying in while on the road... He watched 8 episodes in a row in one night... THAT is being hooked.

Later

Dang, holing up in a hotel room for 8 hours watching this?! That's hardcore for any TV series. I didn't even know that HBO scheduled this kind of sadistic marathon!

I've yet to watch True Blood (the whole vampire genre just doesn't do anything for me), and lots of HBO's other recent stuff hasn't caught on with me. Boardwalk Empire has its lapses, but overall a very good series.

You say yer easily hooked ... does that mean you confess to being one of those loyal viewers that stuck with John From Cincinnati? :cool:

markw
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Dang, holing up in a hotel room for 8 hours watching this?! That's hardcore for any TV series. I didn't even know that HBO scheduled this kind of sadistic marathon!

I've yet to watch True Blood (the whole vampire genre just doesn't do anything for me), and lots of HBO's other recent stuff hasn't caught on with me. Boardwalk Empire has its lapses, but overall a very good series.

You say yer easily hooked ... does that mean you confess to being one of those loyal viewers that stuck with John From Cincinnati? :cool:Many carriers of HBO and, other premium channels, offer a free service called "On Demand" whereby subscribers can avail themselves of most of their programming at their own convenience. In our case,with Comcast, we can generally access the entire season of their current serials (and fairly current movies and specials) such as Tru Blood, Game of Crowns, Boardwalk Empire, and whatever else might be out there. ...at least for a period of time.

Woochifer
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Many carriers of HBO and, other premium channels, offer a free service called "On Demand" whereby subscribers can avail themselves of most of their programming at their own convenience. In our case,with Comcast, we can generally access the entire season of their current serials (and fairly current movies and specials) such as Tru Blood, Game of Crowns, Boardwalk Empire, and whatever else might be out there. ...at least for a period of time.

There's also HBO Go, which launched last month and allows you to stream online via browser or iOS/Android app. Of course, you have to already be an HBO subscriber, but it's pretty cool because there several series, both past and current, already loaded up that allow you to stream from start to finish. None of HBO's series have been made available on Netflix or any other streaming service.

The funny part of Worf's story is that this is somebody who does not have HBO, and planted himself up in a hotel room for 8 straight hours watching Game of Thrones.

Worf101
06-27-2011, 05:11 AM
In an effort to stave off complete and absolute cold turkey witdrawal from the world of Westeros, I've started watching the series all over again from the beginning. Knowing the characters and the houses now make watching the first three episodes far more informative this time around. Yes HBO on Demand is a beyoootiful ting!

Worf

Woochifer
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Worf -
I thought about doing that as well, but I'd erased the episodes that were stored on the DVR after my wife finally got around to watching them. We watched first episode together, but she was turned off by how violent it was. I kept watching and saved the episodes for her just in case the series got better (which it obviously did). I finally convinced her to start catching up after the 7th episode, and she did a couple of 3 hour binges over Memorial Day weekend. Now, she's totally hooked.

Directv has the HBO On Demand option available, but I haven't tried it out yet, since our living room doesn't have an internet connection. I would need either a wireless bridge or a Powerline connection to that location, and haven't been motivated enough to do that yet.

For now, I'll have to just watch it on the computer! :cool:

Woochifer
07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Now that the waiting for Season Two has barely begun, onward goes the speculation on the casting!

One major confirmed role is The Tudors' Natalie Dormer who will take on the role of Margaery Tyrell.

http://images.askmen.com/photos/natalie-dormer/79381.jpg

Another rumored role would be Christopher Eccleston, who was outstanding as The Doctor in Doctor Who, playing Stannis Baratheon. If the producers pull this one off, I will be doing the equivalent of camping out at the box office for the premiere!

http://photos.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/ecclestone-big--127659270997458900.jpg

The linked article has a bunch of other suggested castings for Season Two. Wow, I didn't realize that this many major characters are coming up!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/game-of-thrones-casting-the-clash-of-the-kings--3304

kobyjd
07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I have read all the books, and i think the show captured them quite well. It was one of my favorite book series and im glad to see that HBO has really transformed them into a TV show without leaving out the true essence of the book. I cant wait for season 2 =]

Ry Manchu
07-11-2011, 06:01 AM
I found this list of shows for people that liked Game of Thrones. If any of you have seen any of them, let's hear your feedback. If they suck, I have not seen any of them and it's not my list.

2000 U.S. miniseries 10th Kingdom
2009 U.S. TV Series Kings (supposed to be King David in modern times)

Woochifer
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Wow, lots of news over the past week.

First off, Game of Thrones very deservedly received 13 Emmy Award nominations, including Best Drama and Best Supporting Actor for Peter Dinklage (who plays Tyrion).

Also, 4 more cast announcements were made, as filming for Season Two is set to begin shortly.

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/08/brienne-game-of-thrones/)

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/07/Gwendoline-Christie_240.jpg

Liam Cunningham as Davos (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/liam-cunningham-davos/)

http://ewinsidetv.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cunningham-liam_240.jpg

Carice van Houten as Melisandre (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/)

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/08/Carice-van-Houten_240.jpg

Stephen Dillane as Stannis (Argh! The Christopher Eccleston rumors didn't pan out!) (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/)

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/19/stephen-dillane_320.jpg

Finally, about 4,000 fans packed the Game of Thrones session at the International Comic Con in San Diego yesterday. Not much in the way of news, but some interesting quotes from the cast, producers, and George Martin. Looks like the third book in the series will be split into two season for the TV series, and Martin says that he wants a "bittersweet" conclusion when he hopefully/finally completes the book series.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/21/game-of-thrones-season-2-trailer/

Woochifer
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
The Season 2 trailer for Game of Thrones has been posted. Holy schotzski! :yikes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sBrsM_WlfV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am so looking forward to this ... but FOUR MORE MONTHS before the season premiere?! :mad2: This is freakin' cruel, HBO -- I hate you! Winter is coming ...

drseid
12-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Yes, should be a great second season. If they handle A Clash of Kings as well as A Game of Thrones, then we are all in for a real treat.

soler
12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
sry to bump but i have to say this show is really good, my brother lives close to sean bean so he had spoken to him about this and apparently sean fought with the producers or something so he got out of the show the way he did.

drseid
12-31-2011, 02:13 AM
sry to bump but i have to say this show is really good, my brother lives close to sean bean so he had spoken to him about this and apparently sean fought with the producers or something so he got out of the show the way he did.

No offense, but that seems highly unlikely as the character he plays dies the same way on TV as in the book. His character had to die, there was no other way to play it true to the book, and the future books.

kevlarus
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
No offense, but that seems highly unlikely as the character he plays dies the same way on TV as in the book. His character had to die, there was no other way to play it true to the book, and the future books.

Yes, George Martin definitely liked killing characters when you least expected it and it didn't stop in the second book either.

Can't wait for the 2nd season to start.

Woochifer
04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Time to reawaken this thread!!!!

It's back! It's been a while since a series got me hooked the way that Game of Thrones did once it hit its midseason stride last year.

For Season Two, the first episode established the narrative for this season, and points to many things to come. A lot of plot exposition, but the brisk pace that got going the latter half of Season One has not let up one bit. The series has established a whole slew of plot threads, and with Stannis entering the rhelm and House of Greyjoy about to engage as well, the space has gotten even more crowded.

Sounds like a good time to do lots of killing? Yep, that's been telegraphed quite explicitly. It's only a matter of who, and how many heads on spikes we wind up seeing.

Tyrion, once again, just steals every scene. Getting over on his sister was very entertaining.

Last season, much of the series focused on Ned Stark, but now there's no single character that the entire narrative revolves around. For now, you have all these factions making claims to the throne, and it's all maneuvering around the periphery. But, we know that things will converge soon enough, and things will get ugly. That's why the scenes with Robb Stark seemed funny -- he envisions winning a few more battles, grabbing his siblings and going home to rule the north. If only it were that simple! If only he knew how many more books remain in the series!

Nothing too exciting in the first episode. More like getting the gears spinning again and establishing the main plot points. Good news is that the ratings are way up, with a 40% uptick in viewership compared to the Season One finale.

kexodusc
04-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Subscribed. We just burned through season 1 to catch up. Good thing too, I'd never be able to remember all the characters with so few episodes each season compared to your typical network series.
I agree with you Wooch, Tyrion is owning the show.

drseid
04-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Yep. I am enjoying season two as well. Add me to the list of Tyrion fans. He owns the books too. :-)

Worf101
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
(Worf rolls over and scrathes his nethers... shakes his tangled mane and glowers into the mirror)

"I like this land called 'Westeros' there are many battles to be fought and much glory to be won!"

Welp, like Wooch said it's time to shake off the cobwebs. Episodes 1 and 2 were "alright" with Tyrion as ususal is stealing the show. Rubbed Sis's face in it real good and just de-balled the head of the gold-cloaks as slick as ever. I'm not sure about making Bran da Chief of Police" but hey... it's his show not mine. Dire Wolves get pretty big, pretty fast. Even the runt of the litter is half as tall as a man! I wish Jon Snow wasn't so impulsive and stupid. Sheesh whatta Maroon. Well the shows back, I'm back, and I'm having a good time. Good to see you all.

Worf

Kam
04-13-2012, 12:25 PM
with Mad Men and Once Upon a Time (i know i know... so sue me), Game of Thrones has really made Sunday a crazy night for TV.

Woochifer
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Season Two is now at the halfway mark and the pace has picked up considerably. As noted, there's no real dominant plot thread that the series revolves around, but the plots now in play are all headed into crisis mode. Not a weak link in the bunch.

Robb Stark, not only has to deal with Greyjoy and Winterfell (along with now all of his siblings in peril), but he also has to fight a war while getting all weak-kneed over the doc chick (while still being pledged to another woman as bridge toll payment).

It was cool to see Tyrion slap his nephew king around yet again, while the natives don't have any bread and have to resort to stuff like gang rape and zombie amputations to keep themselves entertained. Funny to see the boy king's solution to everything as more killing.

The Tywin Lannister thread was the least interesting one, well, until it intersected with Arya's life as Westeros' Most Wanted. Great stuff seeing her match wits with her family's mortal enemy, while taking advantage of her three kill-on-demand cards. And what to make of Littlefinger? It's obvious that he spotted Arya, so we'll see how he tries to take full advantage of that information -- especially after Cersei schooled him on his belief that "knowledge is power." I guess he now knows that "power is power" -- how does that now apply to Arya?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sKTc8Chvw5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I might be off-base, but Stannis is a rather disturbed guy. I guess having your little bro mock you with his "mine is bigger" attitude is one thing, but doing the nasty with the Red Priestess and having her "give birth" to your doppelganger might enough to make anyone snap.

Now, the least interesting storyline is the march to the north, and the inevitable confrontation with the wildlings. They haven't really focused too much on that plot line, and Jon Snow has been a drag all season. So, now he's joined at the hip with a wildling he was supposed to have killed, and we're left with new adventures in spooning. I thought this would be one of the better plot lines, but we're halfway through, and Jon Snow getting handed off to Halfhand and now getting lost is all that has happened.

And then there's Dany, who holds the most powerful weapons in the entire rhelm (well, after they grow up), but only gets marriage proposals and escorting offers when she needs boats. What happens now that her dragons are lost?

Should be an interesting final four episodes. I read that the next season will indeed only cover half of the third book (Storm of Swords), and some characters that were actually in the second book will wait until next season. Game of Thrones already purportedly has the largest cast of any current TV series, and there are plenty of characters yet to be introduced (and killed).

Feanor
05-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I finally decided to check out Game of Thrones -- I'm enjoying it! I've blown through Season 1 and Season 2 to-date, (Eps.6), in the last week. Very entertaining.

It's pretty intense dramatically, maybe too much so. Shakespeare understood the value of a little relieve from a comic character or two. Maybe that's why Tyrion Lanister seems to steal the show; perhaps it's dwarfspoitation but there are comic aspects to his character. Minor as those comic aspects might be, there the only ones going in this story.

Woochifer
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I finally decided to check out Game of Thrones -- I'm enjoying it! I've blown through Season 1 and Season 2 to-date, (Eps.6), in the last week. Very entertaining.

It's pretty intense dramatically, maybe too much so. Shakespeare understood the value of a little relieve from a comic character or two. Maybe that's why Tyrion Lanister seems to steal the show; perhaps it's dwarfspoitation but there are comic aspects to his character. Minor as those comic aspects might be, there the only ones going in this story.

For me, the series is just great storytelling. It took a while to establish the main plot lines (just read the earlier posts on this thread and see the mixed reaction), but once things got going it's been a great ride.

I'm not so much into comic relief. Sometimes, things will err on the side of too much comic relief, to a point that it detracts from the more dramatic elements. I find comic relief in some of the more absurd characters. For example, Joffrey is so over-the-top that he almost seems like a comical character. Same thing last year with Khal Drogo.

Tyrion steals every scene because he's a great character and a master schemer that everybody underestimates. He's the only one that can slap Joffrey around and get away with it. And they just did a great job with casting -- Peter Dinklage didn't win both the Emmy and Golden Globe awards for nothing.

Supposedly, the series has been following the book closely, but has started to rearrange some of the plot lines in recent weeks. The producers already announced that some of the characters from the second book won't appear until next season, and they've already killed at least one character that wasn't supposed to die until later.

Feanor
05-08-2012, 02:13 PM
For me, the series is just great storytelling. It took a while to establish the main plot lines (just read the earlier posts on this thread and see the mixed reaction), but once things got going it's been a great ride.

I'm not so much into comic relief. Sometimes, things will err on the side of too much comic relief, to a point that it detracts from the more dramatic elements. I find comic relief in some of the more absurd characters. For example, Joffrey is so over-the-top that he almost seems like a comical character. Same thing last year with Khal Drogo.

Tyrion steals every scene because he's a great character and a master schemer that everybody underestimates. He's the only one that can slap Joffrey around and get away with it. And they just did a great job with casting -- Peter Dinklage didn't win both the Emmy and Golden Globe awards for nothing.

Supposedly, the series has been following the book closely, but has started to rearrange some of the plot lines in recent weeks. The producers already announced that some of the characters from the second book won't appear until next season, and they've already killed at least one character that wasn't supposed to die until later.
I agree with you remarks in general.

A whole lot of characters are "over the top" stereotypical characterizations, at least as directed -- I don't blame the actors. Maybe this is catering to unsophisticated audiences? E.g. the oily eunuch, Varys, as specific example. Notwithstanding, Peter Dinklage is great of course, and I like the young actress, Massie Williams as Arya Stark.

I won't be reading the books; my eyes won't handle. I can read only so much material in a day w/o eyestrain, and GofT isn't close to top priority

Worf101
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
On the whole, I'd rather be eating a ham samich! While I'm enjoying this season of GOT I'm not as entertained as I was last year. The plot lines as Wooch has so ably pointed out aren't consistently well done. I too am sick of looking at Jon Snow's petulant, puffed, puss as he struggles to free his mind from stupifying ignorance. I don't need to watch T.V. to see that all I have to do is look at my ignornant son! (Unh what did you say dad?)

Jofferey IS truly a caracaiture as his mother is turning out to be. I hold out great hopes for Jamie though and Tywin to be more than they were and more than they seem. However I do love seeing King Jofferey slapped and slapped hard by someone who knows how to do it too! I don't know. I'll still watch it and like watching it but the programs lost a bit of its "new car smell" if you ask me. I'm having a far better time watching "The Borgias" on Showtime to tell the truth!

Worf

Feanor
05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
On the whole, I'd rather be eating a ham samich! While I'm enjoying this season of GOT I'm not as entertained as I was last year. The plot lines as Wooch has so ably pointed out aren't consistently well done. I too am sick of looking at Jon Snow's petulant, puffed, puss as he struggles to free his mind from stupifying ignorance. I don't need to watch T.V. to see that all I have to do is look at my ignornant son! (Unh what did you say dad?)

Jofferey IS truly a caracaiture as his mother is turning out to be. I hold out great hopes for Jamie though and Tywin to be more than they were and more than they seem. However I do love seeing King Jofferey slapped and slapped hard by someone who knows how to do it too! I don't know. I'll still watch it and like watching it but the programs lost a bit of its "new car smell" if you ask me. I'm having a far better time watching "The Borgias" on Showtime to tell the truth!

Worf
Just too many plot threads in G of T to make for consistency.

Jofferey's character was predictable from Day 1. Tywin could still be interesting. Jon Snow is a naive, but hey.

I like The Borgias a bit better too. Although I'm feed up being supposed to like Cesare; unfortunately he has relatively long career of continued duplicity & violence ahead of him before he's killed off. Rodrigo Borgia, (Pope Alexander VI), is the more "sympathetic" character.

markw
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
...after tomorrow, Sunday, 5/20, there's only two more episodes left before the season ends.

I sure hope they do something to uravel this bowl of spaghetti before then. Othersise, I'll be forced to watch the reruns "On Demand" to figure out WTF happened/is happening and that rally doesn't please me.

That would make it a bit too much like work instead of escapest entertainment.

Woochifer
05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Here we are at the second-to-last episode and whole lotta ... stuff ... is still flyin' around! Generally speaking, the penultimate (second-to-last) episode is the most important one in a serialized drama, and the battle episode was definitely the best one so far this season. Great battle scenes and a lot of tests of mettle for the various players.

We see the imp emerging as a war leader, yet daddy Tywin Lannister still has to save everybody's bacon. With dear ole dad back in King's Landing, are we now looking at dissension with the ranks, especially as Jamie heads back to town and word starts to spread that King Joffrey is not only an inbred but a deserter as well? And now we got the Tyrells in the mix, since it was Littlefinger that negotiated the alliance between Tywin and the Tyrells.

Lot of things happening, but obviously not all of it will resolve in one episode. Been an interesting journey, not all of the storylines have been great (Jon Snow is just meandering around the wild, and we don't really care that he's now captive) and others have moved along at a glacial pace (how long does it take for Dany's dragons to grow up, and how many more scenes with Jamie talking smack while tied in chains do we need?).

George R.R. Martin has now written the penultimate episodes for both seasons, and those episodes were the best ones of the entire series so far.

While I have enjoyed this season, I agree with Worf that the "new car smell" is gone. Aside from Greyjoy's apparent "killing" of the Stark boys, Season Two has not held any true surprises (certainly nothing to compare with beheading Ned Stark in Season One's penultimate episode). While Sunday's episode was great, we saw the wildfire weapon several weeks ago and knew that it would get used against Stannis when the time came.

I've read that Season Two has deviated from the timeline in Clash of Kings (the second book in the series) and moved certain characters and events around between the second and third books. We'll see where we are once this season concludes next week.

Feanor
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Here we are at the second-to-last episode and whole lotta ... stuff ... is still flyin' around! Generally speaking, the penultimate (second-to-last) episode is the most important one in a serialized drama, and the battle episode was definitely the best one so far this season. Great battle scenes and a lot of tests of mettle for the various players. ...
Ditto that: Episode 19, (S2/09), was great! :thumbsup:

We see the imp emerging as a war leader, yet daddy Tywin Lannister still has to save everybody's bacon. With dear ole dad back in King's Landing, are we now looking at dissension with the ranks, especially as Jamie heads back to town and word starts to spread that King Joffrey is not only an inbred but a deserter as well? And now we got the Tyrells in the mix, since it was Littlefinger that negotiated the alliance between Tywin and the Tyrells.

Lot of things happening, but obviously not all of it will resolve in one episode. Been an interesting journey, not all of the storylines have been great (Jon Snow is just meandering around the wild, and we don't really care that he's now captive) and others have moved along at a glacial pace (how long does it take for Dany's dragons to grow up, and how many more scenes with Jamie talking smack while tied in chains do we need?). ...
Lots of loose threads. Agree that several S2 episodes were getting kind of desultory.

While Sunday's episode was great, we saw the wildfire weapon several weeks ago and knew that it would get used against Stannis when the time came. ...
And some things were predictable. (But have we see the last of Stannis and Melisandre?)

Worf101
05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Stannis. I think Davos and his erstwhile son are goners though. Don't see how they survived that fireball. Jofferey's a dead punk. He can lie to himself and to his men, but they know who held Kings Landing agains overwhelming odds long enough for Daddy to come ridin' up on his white steed.

What I don't understand is why Sansa is staying with those crazed lunatics? Revenge? How's she gonna survive one dinner with Jofferey with the Hound no longer there to protect her? She must have something in mind. They showed her picking up the doll from her late father that she pissed on when he gave it to her in Season One, does that mean she intends to be more than she was? Has she finally decided to "grow up"? Or does she truly love that pustule that is the king?

Gotta give Stannis marks for bravery. I fight with no helmet. I'm first off the ship, first up the ladder and fight with my face hangin' out so all can see who's killin' em! I like a fighter like that.

Worf

Feanor
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Stannis. I think Davos and his erstwhile son are goners though. Don't see how they survived that fireball. Jofferey's a dead punk. He can lie to himself and to his men, but they know who held Kings Landing agains overwhelming odds long enough for Daddy to come ridin' up on his white steed.
Gotta give Stannis marks for bravery. I fight with no helmet. I'm first off the ship, first up the ladder and fight with my face hangin' out so all can see who's killin' em! I like a fighter like that. ...
Yeah: perversely, I kind of like Stannis. And we can't have seen the last of Melisandre.

What I don't understand is why Sansa is staying with those crazed lunatics? Revenge? How's she gonna survive one dinner with Jofferey with the Hound no longer there to protect her? She must have something in mind. They showed her picking up the doll from her late father that she pissed on when he gave it to her in Season One, does that mean she intends to be more than she was? Has she finally decided to "grow up"? Or does she truly love that pustule that is the king?
So do we know that Sansa doesn't go north with the Hound? Kinda sounded like she might. She'd become another free-floating variable like Jaime. (Or Bran or Jon or Arya ...)

Worf101
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah: perversely, I kind of like Stannis. And we can't have seen the last of Melisandre.

So do we know that Sansa doesn't go north with the Hound? Kinda sounded like she might. She'd become another free-floating variable like Jaime. (Or Bran or Jon or Arya ...)

Yeah in the preview for next week she's still talking to LIttleFinger at court who's askin' her flat out "why are you still here with this pack of lying asswipes".. or something to that effect Ahem...

Worf

Woochifer
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Gotta give Stannis marks for bravery. I fight with no helmet. I'm first off the ship, first up the ladder and fight with my face hangin' out so all can see who's killin' em! I like a fighter like that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Stannis will factor in somewhere. For one thing, they're casting the role of Stannis' wife for Season Three. That character is also supposedly a big ole' ray of sunshine.

Aside from walking the walk after he talked the talk (Q: "But hundreds will die." A:"Thousands"), I guess I like how uncomplicated Stannis is. As far as he's concerned, the Iron Throne is his birthright and he will destroy anyone that stands in his path. As Feanor indicated, Melisandre is still out there, and who knows how she will play out, given that Stannis basically abandoned her after she gave birth to that shadow doppelganger (man, that was about as enthralling and creepy a visual as I've seen in a while).

Davos was an intriguing character -- I thought he had a lot of potential angles to explore. Too bad though yeah he's probably swimming with the fishes.

Who knows what to make of Joffrey. I know that the Red Wedding is supposed to be one of the pivotal events in the saga, so we know he will at least make it that far. If anything, Tyrion now has to look over his shoulder, given how much pull he has with the soldiers.

The real intrigue is now with the Tyrells (who were aligned with Renly before he got off'd by Stannis' doppelganger). Tywin might have ridden into town on a white horse, but the Tyrells made it happen. They'll now want their # of flesh.

I suspect that Sansa is more than paying lip service to Cersei's drunken ramblings. Cersei may live to regret taking the innocent little bird under her wing, since unlike her own son, Sansa seems to be listening. It's almost funny how disingenuous Sansa's utterings of praise are (like when she told Tyrion that she prays for his safe return, just as she prays for Joffrey's -- she ain't lying!), and Cersei seems to be the only one who picks up on it. I think her time in the maiden's chamber was her transformative moment. She now sees how power is exercised behind the throne. Why go with Hound back to Winterfell when she can scheme and manipulate from inside King's Landing? Yeah, she's now all grow'd up.

Feanor
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Who knows what to make of Joffrey. I know that the Red Wedding is supposed to be one of the pivotal events in the saga, so we know he will at least make it that far.
I suspect that Sansa is more than paying lip service to Cersei's drunken ramblings. Cersei may live to regret taking the innocent little bird under her wing, since unlike her own son, Sansa seems to be listening. It's almost funny how disingenuous Sansa's utterings of praise are (like when she told Tyrion that she prays for his safe return, just as she prays for Joffrey's -- she ain't lying!), and Cersei seems to be the only one who picks up on it. I think her time in the maiden's chamber was her transformative moment. She now sees how power is exercised behind the throne. Why go with Hound back to Winterfell when she can scheme and manipulate from inside King's Landing? Yeah, she's now all grow'd up.
Yes, and eventually Sansa will be instrumental in Joffrey's downfall. She won't stick with looser indefinitely.

Worf101
06-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Not a "bad" last episode. Some things do get resolved. Rob's made a BIG mistake. His Mother made a BIG mistake. The Warlocks made a BIG mistake.

Likes: We finally see what a White Walker really looks like. Lady Brean shuts Jaime's mouth. Tyrian's down but not out. Tywin's horse eloquently tells all what he thinks of the Iron Throne. Fire breathing dragons and empy vaults.

Dislikes: The trip up north still sucks. The burning/sacking of Winterfell. Sansa's decision to stay in that nest of vipers that is King's Landing. The death of Maister Leweyn.

Worf

Woochifer
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Argh! Wrote an entire post, and got an error message telling me to go back and reload the reply page, and now, the post is gone! Good gawd, I can't stand vBulletin!

thekid
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Argh! Wrote an entire post, and got an error message telling me to go back and reload the reply page, and now, the post is gone! Good gawd, I can't stand vBulletin!

I am right there with ya......... :D

As for the Finale it was a little underwhelming and had some holes in it.

Tyrian thinks enough of the Imp to have him serve as the King's Hand in his stead but then after the Imp saved the city from destruction long enough for his Dad to be the conquering hero he is thrown to the gutter? Makes no sense......

Made no sense that Winterfell was surrounded by Stark forces and then they sat around and let 20 men torch and get away with a sought after prisoner in tow. They also apparentyl left the area as soon as Winterfell was put to the torch and did not try to determine the fate of the two young Starks.

The on-screen appearance of the White Walkers was ham-fisted and unimaginative.

Rob marrying was predictable at least in the way the chose to do it. Reminded me of Braveheart.

Still I can't wait for Season 3.........

Worf101
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM
I am right there with ya......... :D

As for the Finale it was a little underwhelming and had some holes in it.

Tyrian thinks enough of the Imp to have him serve as the King's Hand in his stead but then after the Imp saved the city from destruction long enough for his Dad to be the conquering hero he is thrown to the gutter? Makes no sense......

Made no sense that Winterfell was surrounded by Stark forces and then they sat around and let 20 men torch and get away with a sought after prisoner in tow. They also apparentyl left the area as soon as Winterfell was put to the torch and did not try to determine the fate of the two young Starks.

The on-screen appearance of the White Walkers was ham-fisted and unimaginative.

Rob marrying was predictable at least in the way the chose to do it. Reminded me of Braveheart.

Still I can't wait for Season 3.........

Tywin's picking of Tyrian as temporary hand was an inspired move. BUT Tywin is all about HIS legacy. He could care less about how history remembers his shrunken son as along as he is remembered in song and story. Jofferey also hates Tyrian he's the only man living to have beaten and humiliated him and LIVED to tell the tale. Sersei hates Tyrian for having bested her at every turn. So his meteoric rise and fall makes sense in that den of back stabbin' basterds.

As for the sacking of Winterfell. Well I never thought 20 men could capture and hold the place in the first place. Second, remember Rob offered safe passage for all Greyjoy's IF they handed over Theyon which I can only assume they did to save their lives. Pillaging for loot, I understand, slaughtering everyone and burning the place was done to humiliate the Starks and pay them back for the sacking of Pike by Ned I suppose.

Interesting times...

Worf

thekid
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Tywin's picking of Tyrian as temporary hand was an inspired move. BUT Tywin is all about HIS legacy. He could care less about how history remembers his shrunken son as along as he is remembered in song and story. Jofferey also hates Tyrian he's the only man living to have beaten and humiliated him and LIVED to tell the tale. Sersei hates Tyrian for having bested her at every turn. So his meteoric rise and fall makes sense in that den of back stabbin' basterds.

As for the sacking of Winterfell. Well I never thought 20 men could capture and hold the place in the first place. Second, remember Rob offered safe passage for all Greyjoy's IF they handed over Theyon which I can only assume they did to save their lives. Pillaging for loot, I understand, slaughtering everyone and burning the place was done to humiliate the Starks and pay them back for the sacking of Pike by Ned I suppose.

Interesting times...

Worf

Worf

I certainly understand the motives/mindset of the other Lanister's but from strictly from a plot development stand point it was done clumsily. It would have more Tywin's character to have embarrassed Joffrey and Sersei for cowardice and behavior that risked the city in some sort of private council while at the same time acknowledging Tyrian contribution in private but going out his way to deny him any public accolades.

The fact that you have to assume what happened at Winterfell supports my contention it was a plot hole. I can buy that the Stark men would have let Greyjoy's men go in return for Greyjoy but Greyjoy's men distinctly said they were going to take him back to his father after they knocked him out. Plus Stark's men would have let them live promise or not for sacking Winterfell. Whatever happened with Greyjoy still does not explain fully for me why none of the Stark men were around when the Stark children emerged from hiding at Winterfell or why they would have failed to find and assist Master Llewyn before leaving Winterfell.

I know these things were done to advance other plot lines down the road but it just seemed to be hurried and out of character for the people and actions up to that point.