What's the best Audio player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Audio player?

hifi-freak
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi guys,
I've been looking for a quality audio player to use on my PC...suggestions?
I've used winamp, wmp...but not satisfied.

poppachubby
04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Media Monkey

Feanor
04-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Hi guys,
What don't you like about WinAmp?

I use Foobar2000 for reasons I can elaborate. For those same reasons, I could live with J.River Jukebox, or Media Monkey (though not the free version of the latter). First tell us what you want from a player.

Ajani
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi guys,

What are you not satisfied with? Is it sound quality or features/user interface?

Happy Camper
05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I've been trying different players lately. I've used Itunes, winamp, foobar, aimp2, ulilth, jriver. Of those, I am typically a foobar user but have been using aimp2 with good results.

Glen B
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I have Windows Media Player, Virtual DJ, and CATraxx Media Player (comes bundled with my CATraxx music collection cataloging software) on my PC, and can't distinguish any sonic difference between them playing back WAV files.

harley .guy07
05-19-2011, 05:03 PM
From the knowledge of some of the people on here I tried the Fubar 2000 with the wusapi upgrade and found that it outdoes every one of my friends running Itunes or windows media player and in fact have converted many of these people to Fubar and they love it after learning to use it. I will not say it is the last word in music players because I have not tried every one out there but so far I have been impressed with it so far and it is an open source download so it takes nothing but a little time to download and set up.

Dawnrazor
05-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi guys,

Hi Hifi,

Here is a list of players I have tried over the years:

iTunes, WMP11, Foobar, Winamp, Album Player, Media Monkey, Wavelab, Multistream Asio player, xm player, xxhighend, Jriver, Mp3toys, Beoplayer, Asioxo player, and a couple of other that I cant quite remember.

SONICALLY the best I have heard was cplay. It is designed for a very specific purpose and is not exactly a stand alone player though on my regular pc that is how I use it. Alone the gui is not great, but with the gui program (cmp) it is a very friendly player. THough it is designed for SOUND QUALITY and it is best if it has a card that accepts 32 bit ASIO (though many use it with ASIO4all on their usb dacs). Cplay only plays .wavs and flac and it is best to have cue sheets for this, which are pretty easy to generate (let me know and I can show you how"

What makes cplay special is that it is designed to be low on resources and it plays everything from memory and is optimized to do so. It doesnt support album art because of this, though I find with cmp as the gui, I dont miss album art and trust me I tried but kept coming back to cplay because of the sound.

Winamp and Foobar were a step above iTunes and Wmp, but are definately not in the same league as cplay.

It has been a long time and they have been updated, but if I needed a player that was not as good sounding but offered pretty pictures and the like, I would look at ALbum Player or Jriver.

But Feonor is right. WHat about winamp is wrong, and what hardware are you using and what files are you playing??

hifi-freak
05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys,

I've been using winamp for years and i want something different...maybe more features? I have a headphone rig, and foobar seems like a nice choice. I play hi-res files (flac mainly)

Feanor
05-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion guys,

I've been using winamp for years and i want something different...maybe more features? I have a headphone rig, and foobar seems like a nice choice. I play hi-res files (flac mainly)
Foobar2000 is a "sound" choice. Don't forget to use the WASAPI component if using Win Vista or Win7.

What I like about Foobar, apart from the sound, is the highly configurable interface. In my case I have configured several custom Library view, e.g. Genre/Composer/Album, and Composer/Genre, which are helpful to me as a mainly Classical listner. See a pic ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Foobar_example700.jpg