Looking for some small bookshelf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some small bookshelf

Meddle
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I am looking to upgrade my current kitchen speakers and I am trying to keep the price below 400 if I can. I am most likely going to power them with a Creek 4140s2 integrated amp.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has some ideas or good reviews on a pair they have. I am hoping to keep the size as small as possible. I auditioned a pair of Audioengine 5 speakers and was thouroughly disappointed. I'm looking to improve on a pair of Boston Acoustics HD5s. They actually sound ok, but the faux wood is just not cutting it with the wife.

Right now, I am looking at a pair of Axiom M2 v3.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m2.html#

Thanks!

Mr Peabody
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
The Audio Engine need break in time. I've only heard the amplified versions but I thought they were very good.

Acoustic Energy isn't in my area any more but they used to have some nice sounding bookshelves, although not the last word in big bass. The Paradigm Atom is decent but doesn't go very low. You might try Epos.I haven't looked at bookshelf models in your price in a while

hifi-freak
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
For some people the axioms are bright, but i consider them to be detailed and not bright.
I personally like the M3 v3.

Jack in Wilmington
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Usher Audio makes a great little bookshelf speaker called the S520. I currently have a pair doing surround duty in my HT system and I'm really not being fair to these little gems. I have moved them into my family room system as the mains on occasion and they really liked to flex their little muscles and play with the big boys. They can be had online at various etailers.

02audionoob
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I've become a bit of a fan of the KEF iQ30 in this price range.

http://www.kef.com/Images/GB/Products/c-series/iQ30_header.jpg

Meddle
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
All the responses are appreciated. Thanks, folks.

blackraven
04-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Here are a few to consider-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB5

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBALB1

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTAZ

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOCAR2

PDN
04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR1s as my surrounds for about $250.00/pr. This model is phasing out so I got a great price. Sound fabulous, great timber, detail, etc. By themselves as small bookshelfs I believe they would be super.

Poultrygeist
04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I would also recommend the well reviewed Axiom M3 v3. I have the Algonquins which are the same speaker except for the cabinet material. Even though it's a 2 way it has the advantage of the drivers running full range. It's high efficiency means it will work well with most amps. Mine are driven by a vintage Marantz but sound good with a t-amp and are not bright in the least.

blackraven
04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Check out the prices of the B-stock PSB B-5's and Alpha B-1's here-

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm

And their Monitor Audio Bronze deals-

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_audio_bronze_details.htm#BR2

Meddle
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
The Audio Engine need break in time. I've only heard the amplified versions but I thought they were very good.

Interesting. I friend of mine brought them over and they were brand new.

Thanks for all the help guys. I definitely have some new ideas.

drseid
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
The PSBs mentioned previously are good choices, IMO. I personally chose Consonance Eric-1s for both my office and bedroom systems and am very happy with them. They are not sold new in the US anymore, but pop up on Audiogon used from time to time around $400 a pair. I can definitely recommend them.

---Dave

bobsticks
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey dave....good to see you around these parts.

drseid
04-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey dave....good to see you around these parts.

Yeah, after a couple years hanging out at AVS licking my wounds after HD DVD lost the format war to Blu-ray (hiding my head in shame) I have returned. :-)

Good to see you too, Bob!

---Dave

bobsticks
04-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, after a couple years hanging out at AVS licking my wounds after HD DVD lost the format war to Blu-ray (hiding my head in shame) I have returned. :-)

Good to see you too, Bob!

---Dave

LMAO!! Dear lord, don't let sometin' like that chase you off...I think we've all made a faux pas or two...Yeah, I bit into HD-DVD too...

And, I'm glad to read that the Consonance speaks are still treating you well. Circumstances may dictate that I move into smaller quarters and I've been considering a sub-sat system...I'm watching this thread with interest.

Meddle
04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I am back to considering the audioengines, but I am giving pause due to the over-heating issues I have heard about this in several places. My buddy has not experienced that yet, but he does not crank them up as he listens after his kids go to bed. I'd be cranking them for hours at a time.

People claim that they can overheat after 30 minutes of play. This worries me.

Has anybody heard of this and is it possible that they have cleaned this issue up?

Thanks again for all the help.

blackraven
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
If you are considering Audio Engine then you should take a look at M-Audio speakers-

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

You can find them online for a lot less than list price.

Meddle
04-21-2011, 04:15 AM
OK, I am leaning against powered monitors as they all seem to have issues that concern me. I like the idea of not having to redeploy an amp, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I like what I hear on the Ushers and they really fit the bill on four important scores...

1) They are very small.
2) The look great
3) They get very good reviews
4) They are front ported and these will be sitting on top of marble counter tops and near walls.

The issues with the Ushers are that they are really deep. The depth is greater than the height. They are also the highest price tag that I am considering. Those two can be set aside. The big issue is that I have read that they are very power hungry and I'm unsure if the Creek is going to be sufficient to get all the benefits that the speakers ought to provide.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/speaker-reviews/item/187-usher-s-520-standmount-loudspeaker

I'm unsure as to what the real issue is. If it's a power supply thing, the Creek should be ok. I have two Marantz vintage units (2275 and a 2225) that are both in good shape. My understanding is that both have solid power supplies. The 2275 obviously has plenty in terms of RMS.

How many Usher owners are here and can any speak to the power issue? That is, their thirst for power.

Sadly, if I have to step away from the Creek, I then have to find a way to store a big ass amp in the kitchen as the Creek tucks neatly away in a cabinet at nine inches in depth (including the heat sink and rear wiring).

The Creek had no problems powering my Paradigm Mini Monitors or my Vandersteen Model 1s, so I know that I can find some speakers to go with it. The Kitchen is about 12x12 and I would like to avoid adding any bass modules as doing so would be a logistical nightmare as there just are no good placement options. Thing is, I probably spend as much time listening in the kitchen as any room in the house.

So, here I am. I want to use the Creek if possible. I am looking for a quality option that either has no port or a front port. Am I wrong to avoid rear ports when being so close to a wall?

This model that seems to be gaining is the Mordaunt Short Carnival 2. It's a little tall, but all other factors seem good. I have never heard any of their speakers, so that's really the only drawback.

Anybody own a pair?

Again, thanks for the help. I'd like to get this right the first time if possible.

Peace

Jack in Wilmington
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I can't see any reason that your Creek would have a problem driving the Ushers. When I move them out to the Family Room I'm running them off a Pioneer 80 watt receiver and the speakers that are normally their are Paradigm Mini Monitors. The Pioneer has no problem with either speaker. I got my S520's for $375 online at one of the dealers who was having a sale. There is a nice pair on Audiogon if you don't mind the used route.

Meddle
04-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I can't see any reason that your Creek would have a problem driving the Ushers. When I move them out to the Family Room I'm running them off a Pioneer 80 watt receiver and the speakers that are normally their are Paradigm Mini Monitors. The Pioneer has no problem with either speaker. I got my S520's for $375 online at one of the dealers who was having a sale. There is a nice pair on Audiogon if you don't mind the used route.
I almost prefer used as most of my great adds happen that way. I'm a bit of a bottom feeder as I have a lot of rooms to fill with sound I can live with. I have seven rigs in the house and one in my barn.

I looked at the Ushers on Audiogon and the savings is not that much once you account for shipping. At 470, the dealer ships for free and I'd have all the paperwork and such, but thanks for the heads up.

I wonder what the separation is between the Usher and the Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 (259 w/free shipping)? The Ushers look nicer for sure.

I'm glad I'm not in a huge rush. Thanks for the ideas and for the real-life info on the Ushers.

atomicAdam
04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
For some people the axioms are bright, but i consider them to be detailed and not bright.
I personally like the M3 v3.

I'd personally back this as well. I would think the M3v3 would be very good kitchen speakers. They are light, airy, and have a large stage and sound good from a variety of angles. Kind how I picture kitchens. Airy, light, a breeze flowing through.

Though I would point out if you have a lot of reflecting material, counter top, walls, floor, you might get a fair amount of high frequency reflections. So you might want to try for a darker speaker. Something with a fair amount of roll off at the top.

Mr Peabody
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I think you are spot on with the front port. The only Mordaunt I've heard was the 902 and I'd say they performed beyond their price, surprising bass from a bookshelf in that range, the highs, are, vivid.

Meddle
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I think you are spot on with the front port. The only Mordaunt I've heard was the 902 and I'd say they performed beyond their price, surprising bass from a bookshelf in that range, the highs, are, vivid.
Thanks, Mr Peabody. Very helpful.

isaaca
04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Btw has anyone auditioned Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2. Apparently they don't have a lot of dealers in Northern California and I am curious about how good those are since they apparently won the Hi-Fi award a few years ago.