Just say "Left Of The Dial"! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just say "Left Of The Dial"!

Jim Clark
04-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I know some of us grabbed Sire Records "Just Say..." series when they came out in the 90's. Those discs are single handedly responsible for reigniting my poor impulse control when it comes to spending at the record store. I was at the Library on Sat. and I saw this 4 CD box set from Rhino that was a throw back to those early samplers. There's some stuff on there that I don't have, some I'd even forgotten about. As luck would have it, there's a similar Punk collection that came out earlier that I am gonna have to hunt down.

I could do without some of the more obvious, like REM, The Smiths... but there a lot more to compensate for the painfully obvious:
1. R.E.M. - "Radio Free Europe" - 4:06
2. The Jam - "Going Underground" - 2:56
3. The Cure - "A Forest" - 4:55
4. Dead Kennedys - "Holiday in Cambodia" - 4:39
5. The Passions - "I'm in Love With a German Film Star" - 4:01
6. The Replacements - "I Will Dare" - 3:19
7. Mission of Burma - "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" - 3:53
8. X - "Johny Hit and Run Paulene" - 2:50
9. The Jesus and Mary Chain - "Just Like Honey" - 3:02
10. Depeche Mode - "Black Celebration" - 4:53
11. Dream Syndicate - "Tell Me When It's Over" - 3:33
12. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Hollywood (Africa)" - 5:03
13. New Order - "Temptation" - 5:44
14. Japan - "Ghosts" - 4:32
15. Magazine - "A Song From Under the Floorboards" - 4:11
16. Aztec Camera - "Oblivious" - 3:12
17. Hüsker Dü - "Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely" - 3:32
18. Black Flag - "Rise Above" - 2:26
19. Wall of Voodoo - "Back in Flesh" - 3:43
20. The Go-Betweens - "Cattle and Cane" - 4:01

Disc 2

1. The Pretenders - "Message of Love" - 3:26
2. Ultravox - "Vienna" - 4:40
3. Dinosaur Jr. - "Freak Scene" - 3:37
4. The Smiths - "This Charming Man" - 2:44
5. Ministry - "Stigmata" - 5:45
6. Lone Justice - "Ways to Be Wicked" - 3:26
7. Killing Joke - "Wardance" - 3:47
8. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - "Enola Gay" - 3:32
9. The English Beat - "Mirror in the Bathroom" - 3:08
10. The Raincoats - "Fairytale in the Supermarket" - 3:00
11. The Smithereens - "Behind the Wall of Sleep" - 3:24
12. Minutemen - "Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing" - 1:32
13. Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" - 2:39
14. Concrete Blonde - "Still In Hollywood" - 3:45
15. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - 3:27
16. Violent Femmes - "Blister in the Sun" - 2:26
17. Meat Puppets - "Lake of Fire" - 2:00
18. The DB's - "Amplifier" - 3:08
19. Prefab Sprout - "When Love Breaks Down" - 3:46
20. The Cramps - "Goo Goo Muck" - 3:07
21. The Sisters of Mercy - "This Corrosion" - 8:59
22. XTC - "Senses Working Overtime" - 4:36

Disc 3

1. Echo & the Bunnymen - "The Cutter" - 3:55
2. Bad Brains - "Pay to Cum" - 1:28
3. The Sugarcubes - "Birthday" - 3:59
4. Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians - "Madonna of the Wasps" - 3:07
5. Faith No More - "We Care a Lot" - 4:05
6. Sonic Youth - "Teen Age Riot" - 6:58
7. Gang of Four - "To Hell With Poverty" - 3:28
8. The Feelies - "Fa Cé-La" - 2:03
9. They Might Be Giants - "Ana Ng" - 3:21
10. The Chameleons UK - "Swamp Thing" - 6:00
11. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "The Mercy Seat" - 5:12
12. Rain Parade - "I Look Around" - 3:07
13. The Psychedelic Furs - "All That Money Wants" - 3:52
14. The Church - "Under the Milky Way" - 4:59
15. Public Image Ltd. - "Rise" - 6:08
16. Love and Rockets - "Kundalini Express" - 5:51
17. Green on Red - "Gravity Talks" - 2:34
18. Throbbing Gristle - "Adrenalin" - 3:58
19. The Stone Roses - "She Bangs the Drums" - 3:45

Disc 4

1. Pixies - "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - 2:56
2. The The - "Uncertain Smile" - 4:54
3. Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead" - 9:34
4. Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Christine" - 2:59
5. Minor Threat - "Straight Edge" - 0:46
6. Lyres - "I Want to Help You Ann" - 2:30
7. Beat Happening - "Our Secret" - 2:48
8. Jane's Addiction - "Jane Says" - 4:53
9. Julian Cope - "World Shut Your Mouth" - 3:34
10. Kate Bush - "Running Up That Hill" - 5:00
11. The Gun Club - "Sex Beat" - 2:48
12. Camper Van Beethoven - "Take the Skinheads Bowling" - 2:30
13. Suicidal Tendencies - "Institutionalized" - 3:49
14. Cocteau Twins - "Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops" - 4:11
15. Happy Mondays - "24 Hour Party People" - 4:38
16. Hoodoo Gurus - "I Want You Back" - 3:11
17. Descendents - "Surburban Home" - 1:42
18. The Pogues - "A Pair of Brown Eyes" - 4:53
19. The Three O'Clock - "Jet Fighter" - 3:27
20. Butthole Surfers - "Moving to Florida" - 4:31
21. Billy Bragg - "A New England" - 2:13

Swish
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm going to hunt them down even though I could probably put together most of this with the help of a couple friends. My cd collection is pretty good, but a couple of them were collecting back when I was a young dad and too poor to buy. I trust you (cough, cough) retained a demo copy?

Thanks for posting that stuff JC!

Jim Clark
04-19-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm going to hunt them down even though I could probably put together most of this with the help of a couple friends. My cd collection is pretty good, but a couple of them were collecting back when I was a young dad and too poor to buy. I trust you (cough, cough) retained a demo copy?

Thanks for posting that stuff JC!

Oh yeah, of course I made a copy to protect the quality of the original. Got to be careful with public goods. Also cool that the library has a copy of the "Punk" set too. I'm 3'rd in line for a copy. My library rocks.

Funny that you should mention that with a bit of help you could cobble together a copy. My thoughts exactly. I'll bet between me, you, davey, nobody, and Stone that it could happen. Logistics of all that coming together in lossless format however are something that I just don't have the time or patience for anymore : (

jc

nobody
04-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, some great stuff on there for sure. But, I tend to avoid those compilations lots of times since I feel like I'm just duplicating what I've already got with maybe 3-4 new songs. What I need to spend some time doing is making playlists on my iPod for my own comps to listen to instead of hitting random which gets a bit too random or trying to scroll around through thousands of songs to pick and choose.

Mr MidFi
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
That's 82 tracks of awesome, JC !

MindGoneHaywire
05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh, yeah, it's a good one. Plenty of stuff I could live without & stuff that's redundant for me but sometimes there's something to be gained by listening to one or two in a relatively unfamiliar context.

The punk box is similarly good, maybe a little better for me because there's less I wouldn't have wanted & the redundancy doesn't bother me as much.

Rhino has a great rockabilly box too. Two, actually. And a soul box. And an R&B box. And a funk box. And a surf box. I have most if not all of them in one form or another. I lose track sometimes. I think the 90s box ("Whatever") is pretty good, too, if a little less essential for me personally.

I have a Goth box which is missing two discs but if anyone's interested let me know. It's wasted on me & takes up space. The packaging is interesting.

Jim Clark
05-16-2011, 05:40 AM
Oh, yeah, it's a good one. Plenty of stuff I could live without & stuff that's redundant for me but sometimes there's something to be gained by listening to one or two in a relatively unfamiliar context.

The punk box is similarly good, maybe a little better for me because there's less I wouldn't have wanted & the redundancy doesn't bother me as much.

Rhino has a great rockabilly box too. Two, actually. And a soul box. And an R&B box. And a funk box. And a surf box. I have most if not all of them in one form or another. I lose track sometimes. I think the 90s box ("Whatever") is pretty good, too, if a little less essential for me personally.

I have a Goth box which is missing two discs but if anyone's interested let me know. It's wasted on me & takes up space. The packaging is interesting.

I have the Goth box already otherwise I'd be begging!

And the Punk box is the one to get your hands on, a whole lot of fun. I had the majority of it too. Between my own records, comps from you and nobody there was precious little I didn't have already. This didn't really diminish the listens though and the companion booklet was an informative, if not trying read.

jc

unleasHell
05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I'd be interested in a evalauion copy of the Goth Box....

Jim Clark
05-18-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd be interested in a evalauion copy of the Goth Box....

at first I thought you had typed "an evaluation of the goth box"! Dang, I was already to do that : (

Most folks can look at that track list and figure out whether or not that's gonna be something they'd like of course. The gem of that entire collection for me was The Creature's "Exterminating Angel". Man it's been far too long since I've cranked that toon. Wish I had it loaded on my ipod for my run today.

bobsticks
05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
What a great wealth of material.

I remember back in the day having the "Just Say Mao" set. These look like an extension of the same selection criteria. Good stuff...I'd be crankin' too.