Help me choose the better floorstanding speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose the better floorstanding speakers?

agro
04-17-2011, 11:12 AM
hi! am new to this forum and seek advice from you guys...

am looking to set up a good Music system.
music choice - vocals/country/pop/rock/jazz.
for speakers, am confused between Definitive BP7006, Polk Audio TSi500, JBL ES100, Klipsch RF52 II and Wharfedale Dia 10.6

all of them are within my budget (~$1000) and have been impressed by all when i first listened to them - could be a function of my lack of discernment :)
doing research on the internet has told me things but no conclusive direction.
yesday i auditioned JBL ES100 and DT's BP7006 - felt the ES100 were a little harsh in the upper range and was not sure of the fidelity of BP7006 - what i felt was real or just a function of the music i took with me or plain my ignorance??

can you guys please advise me? am not an audiophile and therefore this request for help :) but really want to set up a good audio system...
advice on amplifier (~$600) will also be highly appreciated :)

cheers!

JohnMichael
04-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Welcome. You posted the same question a few minutes ago. Please give members time to respond instead of reposting. I have not heard any of those models but when a member has I am sure they will share what they know.

:biggrin5:
hi! am new to this forum and seek advice from you guys...

am looking to set up a good Music system.
music choice - vocals/country/pop/rock/jazz.
for speakers, am confused between Definitive BP7006, Polk Audio TSi500, JBL ES100, Klipsch RF52 II and Wharfedale Dia 10.6

all of them are within my budget (~$1000) and have been impressed by all when i first listened to them - could be a function of my lack of discernment :)
doing research on the internet has told me things but no conclusive direction.
yesday i auditioned JBL ES100 and DT's BP7006 - felt the ES100 were a little harsh in the upper range and was not sure of the fidelity of BP7006 - what i felt was real or just a function of the music i took with me or plain my ignorance??

can you guys please advise me? am not an audiophile and therefore this request for help :) but really want to set up a good audio system...
advice on amplifier (~$600) will also be highly appreciated :)

cheers!

Mr Peabody
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
What would you be driving the speakers with? Do you have any current speakers? I think you need to take your time with listening, be patient. I think when you hear, the one, you will know. You may even have to expand beyond your current list. Trust yourself, your ears, you will know what you enjoy. You should be able to hear a difference between Polk and let's say Def Tech or Klipsch. The speakers you listed have audible differences. If they aren't at the same store and each store has different electronics your job will be more difficult.

Look for things like can you discern what is making the bass, can you hear the kick drum and bass guitar in detail, are the highs too bright that could cause me not to want to listen for long times, am I being drawn into the music, do voices sound natural and real, are subtle details muffled etc. When I compare speakers I try to isolate certain things to listen to in the track. I'm usually sick of the song by the time I'm done :) I might listen to the same song and listen for the bass, then play it again and concentrate on bass or highs, just depends on what's in the track. If you hear a speaker that makes you forget all that then I think you've found something.

If you are willing to use stand mount there are better quality speakers in your range from entry level Dynaudio, Dali, or B&W. Brands like Energy have floor speakers in your budget. You might also price Paradigm and Monitor Audio, Bronze.