DIY A/V Rack [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY A/V Rack

pajr2179
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a DIY a/v rack because I cannot see paying Salamander Design prices Also, I have a whole tool room full of stuff that I have been itching to use..lol). The rack is going to be open. I really like the look of racks with columns seperating each of the shelves. Home Depot has aluminum rods that look like they would perfect for the look I want and are not expensive at all. Any other suggestions for columns? One site recommended pvc, but I don't know if I am sold on that idea. Two questions...what should I use to cut the rods to the size I need? Also, I am using an oak wood. How should I fasten the rods to the wood? This is my first DIY rack.

Thanks!

-Pete

Poultrygeist
04-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Suggest you look at this DIY TNT Flexy link. This is a very good design to follow. Threaded rods are the way to go and they are cut easily with a Dremel with cutoff wheel or patience and a hacksaw. You can use black spray painted PVC to cover the threaded rods. The nuts and washers are essential to spacing and holding eveything together with the threaded rods and shelves. Although I haven't built a Flexy yet, the TNT Stubby speaker stands follow a similar design and I've built four pair of those.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

pajr2179
04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the assist!

JoeE SP9
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
A twelve shelf infinitely adjustable rack for around $100.

I built a dual flexy about 6 years ago. I had a local lumber yard make twelve 18"x24" shelves out of a 4'X8' sheet of 3/4" MD. I used only four pieces of 36"X/8" all thread, two pieces in the center and one on each end. This saved me all of $3 over the dual flex with five rods in the TNT-audio article. In fact, the most expensive item was the box of 50 nuts ($53) at Home Depot. If you want spikes on the ends of the rods Audio Advisor has Salamander Spikes that may fit. It depends on what diameter all thread you decide to use.