fusion anyone ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : fusion anyone ?

3LB
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Well?

bobsticks
04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Are you referring specifically to jazz-fusion?

Mr Peabody
04-09-2011, 04:05 PM
If so, I like me some Fusion. Some of my regulars are Al Demeola, Stanley Clarke, of course Return to Forever, Billy Cobham, Dave Grusin, Jean Luc Ponty and the like. I'm not much for things like McLaughlin or Mahavishnu Orchestra. I can't get into when it sounds like each player is playing a different song at the same time.

Rae
04-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Some mock duck tacos sound pretty good right now.

~Rae

thekid
04-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Well fission is not working out so well right now......

3LB
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Some mock duck tacos sound pretty good right now.

~RaeWhat's mock duck made from?

Or was it perhaps a typo? (the letters u & I are close together)

thekid
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
What's mock duck made from?

Or was it perhaps a typo? (the letters u & I are close together)

Mock duck = Platypus
The other other white meat...... :D

MasterCylinder
04-11-2011, 04:47 AM
I have a Japanese remaster of ROMANTIC WARRIOR that might just be the coolest disc I own..............yes...........it is that good.

Swish
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Can't say I enjoy it much or even attempt to listen to it. I have *****es Brew but never really 'got it'. Bored me to tears, and I'm a Miles fan. Used to like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever, but the stuff feels so...dated to me now.

Mr Peabody
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Romantic Warrior is their best IMO

I think good Fusion stands the test of time. Some bands do date themselves with the style of music, like Hiroshima comes to mind, I have a couple of their albums that just smacks of 70's groove. I'm not even sure they are that old, perhaps it's intentional. There are, some instrumental sounds that tend to date an album to an era though.

Hyfi
04-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Thought this thread was a joke at first.

Fusion still lives on at my house regularly.

I know MC is all hung up on Romantic Warrior but I have always been partial to No Mystery since it was the first Return album I heard.

Plenty of play time for Carl Filipiak, Vertu, Billy Cobham, Tribal Tech, Morglbl and more.
I just listened to The Power Triplets on the way to work this morning, they can kick it!

MasterCylinder
04-12-2011, 04:03 AM
I know MC is all hung up on Romantic Warrior but I have always been partial to No Mystery since it was the first Return album I heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Mystery & Where Have I Known You Before..........love them too.
If memory serves correctly, NM won the Grammy for jazz album of the year in 1975.
NM was more of the lingering Corea Spanish sound wrapped around some funk and jazz while, IMO, Romantic Warrior was the peak of the band's true fusion work..........in writing, in technical performance and in an amazing sound in that recording...........and was also the LP that had their best sales.

3LB
04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Thought this thread was a joke at first.actually, this was a contest and YOU WIN!

Fusion still lives on at my house regulary

Plenty of play time for Carl Filipiak, Tribal Tech and more. these are the correct anawers, I would have also accepted Taboo Voodoo, Kazumi Watanabe, Resonance Vox, Players, Brand X or B.LU.E.

just listened to The Power Triplets on the way to work this morning, they can kick it!however, this just earned you bonus points! this band smokes. Look for BadDog U if you don't have it.

Hyfi
04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
however, this just earned you bonus points! this band smokes. Look for BadDog U if you don't have it.

I am not even sure who sent me this disk but I love it. I was watching some more you tube vids and Trip plays a mean many string bass.

It's one that has Waiting for Buster on it. Ta Da I believe.

I knew this thread was a joke...you were taunting me out of hiding.

Finch Platte
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XO5rQshqb4M/TI-LOLXDs6I/AAAAAAAACR4/F8WXVuHATqc/s1600/v8+fusion.jpg

Mr Peabody
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
A couple new names to me, I'm digging the Tribal Tech.

3LB
05-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Though I'm not a fan of his noodly synthaxe stuff, I dig when he does just play guitar. I'm currently digging his MVP project, namely Centrifugal Funk and Truth In Shredding (misleading title that last one).
Great modern jazz albums both of them.

3LB
05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Picked up High Bias the other day. I really like this. Its as chock full of songcraft as it is ideas. My first Niacin purchase and prolly not my last.

Mr MidFi
05-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I posted a few weeks ago about my odd love for Kittyhawk's s/t first album. I still dig it, even if it is a bit dated. A four-piece band with drums, sax and 2 guys playing Chapman sticks... it's a really unique sound.

Hyfi
05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Picked up High Bias the other day. I really like this. Its as chock full of songcraft as it is ideas. My first Niacin purchase and prolly not my last.

I just you tubed this band and picked Blood Sweat and Beers Live. The drums sounded familiar and when I saw that large dark guy...

Dennis Chambers in the house! I did a Dennis Chambers comp back a few years. He plays on all the studio disks of Carl Filipiak.

Nice, thanks for pointing this one out.