Polk or Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk or Paradigm

isaaca
04-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi,
I guess it is hard to compare these two brands now that Paradigm has hiked up their prices but in terms of sound quality how do the Polks fare?

I was looking into the Monitor 70 or the RTI 10 and at this point the Monitor 70's seem more compelling. But I was looking for a quality comparison between the Monitor 70 and an equivalent Paradigm model.

Thanks...

Mr Peabody
04-09-2011, 02:27 PM
There are variables to consider like room acoustics and associated gear but in general this is my impression. I feel Paradigm will be a more lively sound with seemingly more detail and crisper highs. I have found Paradigm's bass response is amp dependent and those with current feed the Paradigm best. Polk should be warmer and softer sounding in comparison. Last I saw the Paradigm are more sensitive which means they will play louder with the same input signal, if that's any consideration.

bobsticks
04-09-2011, 03:41 PM
The Polks will serve you well if your application is Home Theater once a week or you listen chiefly to cassettes...

isaaca
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
The reviews on the Monitor 70 seem to be very favorable so I was hoping to hear some good quality music and the price right now seems very reasonable.

As for the use well Music and Home Theater but some of the other components are still pending.

isaaca
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
The reviews on the Monitor 70 seem to be very favorable so I was hoping to hear some good quality music and the price right now seems very reasonable.

As for the use well Music and Home Theater but some of the other components are still pending.

bfalls
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I've not been a Polk fan since the early 80s. I tried a pair of their SDA Compacts, but couldn't get them to run on normal receivers. I was trying a JVC 100w/ch stereo and the compacts were shutting it down at less than normal listening levels. Then they went with towers which had tweeter/mid modules which looked like 6x9 car speakers. It just made them seem cheap and I haven't been able to change my mind. I've seen and read reviews on some models which sound very interesting, but I doubt I ever purchase Polks.

isaaca
04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Then what would you recommend for good quality speakers. I am not looking for heavy bass but rather clarity of sound but I am also not looking to spend more than 600-800 on a good pair of speakers.

isaaca
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Then what would you recommend for good quality speakers. I am not looking for heavy bass but rather clarity of sound but I am also not looking to spend more than 600-800 on a good pair of speakers.

Hyfi
04-12-2011, 08:00 AM
you cant go wrong with JM Labs-Focal if deep bass is not a requirement.
Focal Chorus 705V Loudspeaker list at $499

Focal Chorus 706V Monitor Loudspeaker at $650

isaaca
04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
So I got a demo of KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers which were alright. However the KEF 500 sounded much richer and better. Then I heard the PSB Imagine tower which I liked even more.

So on my next trip I will get to listen to both those speakers side by side and hopefully through the same receiver. There is also the $1000 price difference so I need to ensure that the quality is substantially better on the PSB's :)