Better sound / Less interest [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Better sound / Less interest

JohnMichael
04-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Does anyone else find that when you are most happy with your system you are less interested in audio magazines and sites?

Since my asymetrical speaker placement I have been very pleased with the sound. I have not given equipment, cables or placement any thought. I am just enjoying the music. I also have several unread Stereophiles. Other than AR I do not visit other sites. I hope this satisfaction lasts for a long while.

Anyone else experience this loss of interest in audio when the music sounds so good?

LeRoy
04-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Not only am I generally disinterested in audio magazines and sites I also stop planning to visit brick and mortar audio shops too.

I really feel the contentment and joy of just kicking back to enjoy the music at home or at my audio buddy's home and pretty much ignore whatever else is going on in audio world.

Of course, Fuller's London Porter, Rogue Chocolate Stout, and Guinness Stout help assist in helping me to relax and forget :)

pixelthis
04-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Ahhh, yes. The eternal problem with audiophillia.
YOU luv luv luvvvv new equipment, the tactile feel of it, the fun of playing with it,
but electronic tech is so good that your stuff lasts for decades, literally.
I LOVE my music, also, but never tire from the hunt for new toys, weather in the market or not.
Oddly, I usually wind up buying something that is a discovery, when I am not in the market.
A THOUSAND dollar receiver on sale for 850.
SOLD.
An email pushing a 125wpc amp for a paultry 250 bucks. I am there.
Tips on various items that only serve to improve things. SURE I love music.
But I also love to tinker. And kick the tires on new gear.:1:

JohnMichael
04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Ahhh, yes. The eternal problem with audiophillia.
YOU luv luv luvvvv new equipment, the tactile feel of it, the fun of playing with it,
but electronic tech is so good that your stuff lasts for decades, literally.
I LOVE my music, also, but never tire from the hunt for new toys, weather in the market or not.
Oddly, I usually wind up buying something that is a discovery, when I am not in the market.
A THOUSAND dollar receiver on sale for 850.
SOLD.
An email pushing a 125wpc amp for a paultry 250 bucks. I am there.
Tips on various items that only serve to improve things. SURE I love music.
But I also love to tinker. And kick the tires on new gear.:1:

I can relate to wanting new and different but right now I am enjoying the music. It is nice
to be off the equipment merry-go-round. The last time I was less interested in equipment was the Rotel, NHT, Sony ES and Rega system.

hifitommy
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
i dont associate reading about or listening to equipment other than my own as a reason to continuously upgrade. its an auditing measure for which to be aware for either my friends who may need different components or the gauge to when i MIGHT need to start looking for myself.

new ideas for myself usually take many months or years of consideration before making any leap regardless of size.

some of the reviewers are a pleasure to read, especially when they have the skill level to recognize and express their observations in a clear and compelling way. robert harley is a good example of one of those.

going to stores gives the visual and audible evidence of consistency or non-consistency of sound and construction. audio shows are another way to do this en masse.

sometimes, the equipment isnt well represented in person and must be auditioned in better surroundings or in a home. the largest wilson audio speakers are a good example of this.

i reserve judgement of a product until i am satisfied it has been given a fair opportunity to do its best.

i continue to enjoy my system regardless of what i have read or heard as it does quite well within its limitations due to careful selection. when those limitations are exceeded at a reasonable price is when i make my move.

Jimmy C
04-09-2011, 11:24 AM
...just tore up the Stereophile subscription renewal - at a paltry $8.

Why? Not sure... don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun reading this mag for years. Maybe simply time to move on? I mean, why read about stuff when you can't hear it? The "product awareness" thing is kinds moot - how often are reviewed components available to listen? I've been getting audio mags for ca. 30 years - they can be fun, but they really don't do much good.

And maybe yer right... I have never been happier with the sound, and without mega-bux and a larger room I doubt it will get much better in all areas. Maybe I'm jealous of all that glitzy gear :*)

Sure, I would love to check out a new cart, CDP, phono stage, etc... I'm good for now...

frenchmon
04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Not only am I generally disinterested in audio magazines and sites I also stop planning to visit brick and mortar audio shops too.

I really feel the contentment and joy of just kicking back to enjoy the music at home or at my audio buddy's home and pretty much ignore whatever else is going on in audio world.

Of course, Fuller's London Porter, Rogue Chocolate Stout, and Guinness Stout help assist in helping me to relax and forget :)

Leroy...seeing I don't drink, its gotta be a good Jamaca Me Crazy coffee in the am and a good sweet tea in the pm....

poppachubby
04-09-2011, 01:34 PM
YES!!! You hit it on the head John. My system is in no uncertain terms complete and I couldn't be happier. I don't want to look at gear or even discuss it much. I now spend my time listening to music, buying music and discussing music.

I will admit that I feel sorry for people who are aimlessly wandering the audio desert, with no goals or destination. For me, the point of this hobby isn;'t to endlessly move laterally, or to stock pile hundreds of pieces of gear. I spent my time assessing exactly what I want to hear, and then finding the gear that can execute.

It's been a solid 4 or 5 months now and I am barely even posting here at AR. If you need me I will be in my listening room, or changing a diaper.

kexodusc
04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't say I'm less interested, but I do notice when I'm happy with a certain components that I don't pay as much attention to reviews, articles, or threads on that component. To be honest, I can get lost in the music on my iPod, on my car stereo, on my computer speakers - the quality of the music is far more important to me.

I do like trying new things though. Getting louder, sounding better in a larger room/smaller room, optimized for lower listening levels, etc...there's enough permutations in that to always keep me interested.

bobsticks
04-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Yes.

Music, for me, is a social thing so while my interests may lead me to different specifics on a site, I'll generally stay involved for commentary. I've been exposed to so much great music through relationships with other people...all with the mere price of admittance of logging on...

Jack in Wilmington
04-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm what you would call a "Student of the Game". I can't get enough of magazine articles. I subscribe to 3 and I always sit down, put some music on, and have a glass or two of vino and read the latest reviews. And it's not just the equipment reviews, I also love the music reviews. My salesguy says I have the fever, I think he's right.

02audionoob
04-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I have certainly experienced reduced interest in the gear after getting where I wanted to be. I still find the emotional and even polarizing topic of turntables fascinating, though. Sometimes a thread in a turntables forum can be like a trainwreck...I can't look away. I sometimes even engage in it. Can't stop myself.

JohnMichael
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
YES!!! You hit it on the head John. It's been a solid 4 or 5 months now and I am barely even posting here at AR. If you need me I will be in my listening room, or changing a diaper.

I can relate since I will be in my listening room, walking my dog or at work changing adult diapers.

Poultrygeist
04-10-2011, 05:49 AM
While the good feelings for our systems may last for awhile we will stray as we are all audio ho's.

Tarheel_
04-10-2011, 06:04 AM
I still enjoy receiving Home Theater Magazine. I enjoy the speaker articles. I take them with a grain of salt since Chris Lewis left them years ago. But, they do provide access to names/models i don't know much about.
I rarely upgrade, but do enjoy researching in anticipation when the day comes and the purchase is made.

frenchmon
04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Does anyone else find that when you are most happy with your system you are less interested in audio magazines and sites?

Since my asymetrical speaker placement I have been very pleased with the sound. I have not given equipment, cables or placement any thought. I am just enjoying the music. I also have several unread Stereophiles. Other than AR I do not visit other sites. I hope this satisfaction lasts for a long while.

Anyone else experience this loss of interest in audio when the music sounds so good?

Well John...I can't say I am unhappy with my system. I cant say I don't visit sites, and are less interested in magazines. I love my humble system, read magazines, and visit sites...all the while looking to upgrading a few parts. I suspect after I upgrade my TT, preamp, and cable I will still read mags, visit sites. Does that mean I am not satisfied? Not for me it dosent. I just think visiting sites and magazines is part of the hobby. And besides...I love eye candy.

LeRoy
04-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Frenchmon-- I wish I could stick to yummy coffee and tea but unfortunately for me that leads to an alcohol to blood ratio imbalance in my system :)

Bobsticks-- you're so right. The good folks I've met here on this site whom have been so giving and sharing of a variety of different music interests has been a very rewarding experience for me. Thanks to Frenchmon, I now greatly enjoy the music of Cassandra Wilson-- I never knew who Ms. Wilson was or any part of her music until Frenchmon introduced her music to me. Winston also guided me in some Jazz music purchases last year so like you said...just for the price of logging in..

Stay thirsty my friends.

LeRoy

pixelthis
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Frenchmon-- I wish I could stick to yummy coffee and tea but unfortunately for me that leads to an alcohol to blood ratio imbalance in my system :)

Bobsticks-- you're so right. The good folks I've met here on this site whom have been so giving and sharing of a variety of different music interests has been a very rewarding experience for me. Thanks to Frenchmon, I now greatly enjoy the music of Cassandra Wilson-- I never knew who Ms. Wilson was or any part of her music until Frenchmon introduced her music to me. Winston also guided me in some Jazz music purchases last year so like you said...just for the price of logging in..

Stay thirsty my friends.

LeRoy

EMILY remler, Joyce Cooling, DAVID Benoit, PAT COIL, Bob JAMES, Evan linz,
EARL kLUGH,, Joe HENDERSON, The Rippingtons, PAUL HARDCASTLE,
getz/Gilberto(Ballads and Bossanova), Brian Culbertson, ANTONIO carlos Jobin,
DAVE grusin, DIANE SHURE, Lee RITENOUR.
And anybody in the GRP music family.:1:

LeRoy
04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks pixelthis!

These are the artists that are new names to me:
EMILY remler, Joyce Cooling, PAT COIL, Evan linz,ANTONIO carlos Jobin, DIANE SHURE
getz/Gilberto(Ballads and Bossanova),.

I'm gonna have to investiate the music on CD connection and have a listen..thanks for the info.

LeRoy

hifitommy
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
its Ivan Linz

thekid
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I will admit that I feel sorry for people who are aimlessly wandering the audio desert, with no goals or destination. For me, the point of this hobby isn;'t to endlessly move laterally, or to stock pile hundreds of pieces of gear. I spent my time assessing exactly what I want to hear, and then finding the gear that can execute.

Hey I resemble that remark... :D

Seriously I am slowly winding down on my purchases and am starting to sell stuff. I have found so many good deals in thrifts or on CL though it is hard not to think that the next "big thing" is out there. I have pretty much been able to decide on few core set-ups and I find it much easier to just listening to the music rather than focus on the gear or what is needed.

JoeE SP9
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm very satisfied with what I have. So, my system has been stable for a while now. That doesn't mean I don't have "lust in my heart" for a couple of specific things. None of them would be a dramatic upgrade. They're more of an incremental upgrade if any. I'm at the point where aesthetics have become equally important as performance. My lust objects titillate the eye, well mine at least, without sacrificing performance.

swan24
04-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Once I get my system all tweaked, and it is as good as I hope to get it, I too just kick back and listen... Then my focus shifts to getting more and/or better program material...