Klipsch KG 4 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch KG 4

cyto
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I found a pair of Klipsh KG 4 on CL for $150, provided they are in good shape are they worth it? I was thinking of replacing my P-152 fronts with them or using them in a vintage system.

I was also thinking of new Polk TSi 200s for about $230 shipped

Opinions?

Mr Peabody
04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
The Klipsch and Polk are quite different sounds. I'd personally get the KG-4's but I'm not sure what a good price would be.

bfalls
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I've watched the KG4 on ebay for years. I purchased a pair for a friend for $275, but that was over 6 years ago. I see then currently going for $250 - $375 in good to very good condition. FYI, the poly 8" woofer are no longer made. Klipsch has replacements, but I've never heard them. If the drivers are good and they look decent enough $150 is a good price.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
A guy I met has a KG-4 and he bought replacement drivers from a guy in Arkansas, I think his name may be Krites, whose business is selling replacements for Klipsch. He may do others as well but the first guy only gave me so much info. Any way the driver he bought was aluminum and he says it is very good, better than original.

Some how I ended up with a damaged woofer in my Forte, unfortunately, there's no replacement available for it.

thekid
04-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I would agree with others here. The KG 4 is a well respected member of the Klipsch family and some even prefer it over the Heresy line. $150 would be about right if they are in good shape. The source for any upgrades that Mr. P was referring to is Bob Crites. He is more or less considered THE source for Klipsch upgrades and replacement drivers by most in the Klipsch community. Here is a link below.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

cyto
04-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the input, this is what the seller had to say about them(pasted from an email):

"They are 20 years old. One has some silicon on the speaker where it had
come loose but it's very minor.
The other one has a watermark from an ice tea glass on it.
Other than these two blemishes they are perfect."

The system I have now I set up for HT but I find myself listening to music most of the time, in 2 channel. The P152 are fine for HT but in 2 channel they lack "depth" in my opinion. I was also considering Polk Tsi200's to replace the P152.

If I replace the P152's whatever I get has to be wall mounted.
I may get the KG4's just to set up the vintage 2 channel system I have been wanting.

bfalls
04-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Bob Crites sells driver upgrades, but I don't think he sells woofers. I've bought the titanium tweeter diagrams for my Kg4s and can recommend the upgrade. It's a very noticeable improvement. He also sells updated crossovers.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Jimmy C
04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
...baby brother of the KG4, I suppose...

I never really warmed up to them, as I thought they were a bit agressive. Despite having a drone as well as an 8" woofer, the bass seemed lacking compared to the Bostons they replaced.

Not trying to dissuade you, YMMV, and all that, but if you prefer a warmer, more rounded presentation they might not fit the bill...

cyto
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I am going to check out the KG4s Saturday. If I get them I am not going to use them in my HT set up but in a separate 2 channel system. I will start with my Technics receiver from 1986 and take it from there.

Thanks for all the advice and particularly for the info about Crite, I called and they were very helpful and answered all of my questions. If I get the speakers I will be getting anything I need from them.

Mr Peabody
04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks Kid for picking up the ball on Crites.

cyto
04-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I got the KG4s, they sounded pretty good. One of the 8" needs refoamed so I think I will refoam all and maybe replace the crossover while I am at it.