Our team is tough... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Our team is tough...

poppachubby
04-07-2011, 06:38 AM
We may never win the digital/analog debate but with guys like Henry Rollins on our side, who cares?!? We will simply kick the azzes of digital lovers...

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-02-03/music/henry-rollins-the-column/#

GMichael
04-07-2011, 06:55 AM
I feel so beaten down now. Where the h.ll is my TT?

atomicAdam
04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
he listens to Wilson speakers also... HR is part of the Autobots.

dingus
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
even though i run an exclusively digital front end, i do love the sound of good vinyl. at the same time, i also believe that i'm not giving up anything with cd's and flac files. a well engineered, quality recording comes through in either format. the only reason i dont have vinyl in my system at the moment is that it takes more work to do it right than going digital.

i met Henry in Seattle a few years ago after seeing one of his shows. the guy is as genuine as is humanly possible. i think the main message he's conveying is to those who have never given vinyl a chance, to do so.

hifitommy
04-09-2011, 09:40 AM
dada-poppachubby,

i just want to admonish you for crossing the border electronically to read american literature without the payment of the customs duty. and all the way to los angeles as well, invading my home turf.

;^)

good catch, i am now going to have to read rollins' column and maybe even try to contact him. did you notice the speakers he listens to at home? Wilson Sophia 3! i can only imagine the rest of his system.

be expecting a call from a customs agent.

frenchmon
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Good stuff pappa...don't know that I welcome the pops on my vinyl but I do like the presentation that vinyl offers over digi. And while a good digi system is nice to have, Id rather go for the vinyl.

Right now I have a Bel Canto DAC 2.5 in my system and It really can not best my stand alone XRAY v8 CDP. You would think at $1895 it would be all that. While it sounded different at my dealer house in his system with all Bel Canto gear, in my system my ears tell me my XRAY v8 best it but not by much. Could be I need a better preamp other than Rotel...thats in future plans...

The Bel Canto seems a little richer in the mids with female vocals tho. If its not a all Bel Canto system, the Stello DAC Signature 100 will best the Bel Canto DAC 2.5....at least in my system. Maybe not others system.

I must mention tho, the Bel Canto 2.5 has Analogue inputs and out puts for a TT, I have yet to use them....maybe tonight will be a good time to try them...

New 7.1 deck will be here in a few weeks...

Pappa, tell me about that phono amp you are using...going to need one for the Marantz in my home theater for my old TT once my new TT arrives...I think you got a Creek?

-frenchmon

poppachubby
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Good stuff pappa...don't know that I welcome the pops on my vinyl but I do like the presentation that vinyl offers over digi. And while a good digi system is nice to have, Id rather go for the vinyl.

Right now I have a Bel Canto DAC 2.5 in my system and It really can not best my stand alone XRAY v8 CDP. You would think at $1895 it would be all that. While it sounded different at my dealer house in his system with all Bel Canto gear, in my system my ears tell me my XRAY v8 best it but not by much. Could be I need a better preamp other than Rotel...thats in future plans...

The Bel Canto seems a little richer in the mids with female vocals tho. If its not a all Bel Canto system, the Stello DAC Signature 100 will best the Bel Canto DAC 2.5....at least in my system. Maybe not others system.

I must mention tho, the Bel Canto 2.5 has Analogue inputs and out puts for a TT, I have yet to use them....maybe tonight will be a good time to try them...

Pappa, tell me about that phono amp you are using...going to need one for the Marantz in my home theater for my old TT once my new TT arrives...I think you got a Creek?

-frenchmon

Off to work, will reply tomorrow. Yes its a Creek OBH 18

poppachubby
04-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes fenchy you should have taken me up on the Creek when I was wanting to send it. I'm afraid it's found a nice spot here in my stuff. The OBH18 represents a real bargain, it will compete up to the $500 point. I have put it against similar and better Pro-Ject and Bellari stages, the Creek shines. Very neutral with emphasis on seperation and staging.

Check out the 640p mod that everyone at AK is raging about, might be the way to go. I am sure it sounds better but just how much is at your discretion. Ultimately capacitance will indeed improve things tonally and allow for better high end. However without affecting the S/N or accuracy I am not sure how things get to any magical levels.

hifitommy
04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CKOBH18

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1307565781&/Creek-OBH-18-Phono-Preamp

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1306608635&/Creek-OBH-8-MM-Phono-Pre-ampli

hmm, and there are two more for 50 bucks more on agon. seems to be no short supply.

jrhymeammo
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM

-frenchmon

Woooo! When exactly would that be?
I imagine the tonearm on the 7.1 would be significantly better than the one on MMF2.1

frenchmon
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Woooo! When exactly would that be?
I imagine the tonearm on the 7.1 would be significantly better than the one on MMF2.1

Should be towards the end of the month...dealer out of town. I have his loaner Bel canto DAC 2.5 in my system now. Manufactured in 2010. I've A/B it with my XRAY...v8 manufactured in 2006. Why would they sound the same? Do you think its the Rotel Preamp limiting the later processing of the Bel Canto? The Bel Canto is able to run without going through the Rotel Preamp...I think I will avoid it altogether to take a listen to see if its infact different in sound.

jrhymeammo
04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
will send a pm.

tube fan
05-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I listen to analogue 4 to 6 hours a day. I listen to digital when I work out at the gym.

Jack in Wilmington
05-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Should be towards the end of the month...dealer out of town. I have his loaner Bel canto DAC 2.5 in my system now. Manufactured in 2010. I've A/B it with my XRAY...v8 manufactured in 2006. Why would they sound the same? Do you think its the Rotel Preamp limiting the later processing of the Bel Canto? The Bel Canto is able to run without going through the Rotel Preamp...I think I will avoid it altogether to take a listen to see if its infact different in sound.

Hey Frenchie, Nice upgrade on the TT. Are you getting it with a cart., or are you going to mount your 2M-Red on it? My dealer has the 7.1 with the Eroica cart. It is very tempting. If I didn't have my sights set on the Bryston DAC, I might be making the trip to see him.
Anyway, congrats on the new TT. I'm sure you can't wait.

Enochrome
05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Awesome upgrade frenchie!! I know you will be spinning till the break a dawn!!
Can't wait to hear your impressions on the table especially the pace and dynamics.

Great score!!

frenchmon
05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey Frenchie, Nice upgrade on the TT. Are you getting it with a cart., or are you going to mount your 2M-Red on it? My dealer has the 7.1 with the Eroica cart. It is very tempting. If I didn't have my sights set on the Bryston DAC, I might be making the trip to see him.
Anyway, congrats on the new TT. I'm sure you can't wait.

Yeah I got it..Its without the cart....but I aint complaining seeing I got the tt at a great deal.

I am really thinking about the 2MBlack...I can get that at a very good deal aswell.

frenchmon
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Awesome upgrade frenchie!! I know you will be spinning till the break a dawn!!
Can't wait to hear your impressions on the table especially the pace and dynamics.

Great score!!

Thanks....as soon as I load the Red on the cart, or wait for the Black, I will let you know.