8 track player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 8 track player

jpoon
04-06-2011, 09:28 PM
How do es someone adjust the head on a pioneer hr 100 8 track player? im trying to get rid of the crosstalk problem.

GMichael
04-07-2011, 05:05 AM
I used to use a matchbook cover, but I'm sure there's a better way.

bfalls
04-07-2011, 05:33 AM
The head is usually mounted with an adjustment screws on one or both side of the head. The adjustment is usually for azimuth, not tracking, since tracking should already be set. It's best performed with an oscope and test tone (usually 2K or 10K) and adjusted so both signals align with max amplitude. By ear, adjust so the crosstalk goes away and you hear the high frequencies return and are max. If the crosstalk doesn't go away your tracking is off and the head will need to be tracked.

bobsticks
04-07-2011, 06:07 AM
What kind of a name is "Poon"?

Comanche Indian?

GMichael
04-07-2011, 06:34 AM
What kind of a name is "Poon"?

Comanche Indian?

It's a first name.
Last name Tang.

SlumpBuster
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
His name is almost as dirty as mine.

Check out your tapes too. The pads behind the tape deteriorate real bad and can contribute to cross talk. I finally phased 8 tracks out of my system and interest last year because the 35 year threshold seems to be a real bench mark in the tapes themselves falling apart. What was fun and anachronistic was just becoming a frustrating chore.

pixelthis
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
do you drive a trans-am? ARE your suits polyester?
JUST curious.:1:

SlumpBuster
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
No. But, I drive a Mustang with loud Flowmasters. The suits are wool Abbouds. Sorry to disappoint.

jpoon
04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
poon is my nickname lol, last name is puniak.....funny, i dont drive a trans am, but i do own two Grand Am's....not polyester for me, jeans and t shirt lol

jpoon
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
thanks all for the info on the 8 track player too...i had that player sitting around for 20 years not using it, then i found some 8 track tapes at a used record store....now, im kinda just having a little fun with it

hifitommy
04-09-2011, 08:57 AM
some 8track players had a front panel thumbwheel for just what you need to do. it would be ideal if once you find the screw that adjusts head height to drill a hole directly above it in the cabinet so you could put the screwdriver in to adjust track alignment. it would save removing the cabinet every time you run across a mal-aligned 8track tape.

Poultrygeist
04-12-2011, 05:21 AM
These 8 track experts give away their age. Anyone know how to adjust my 4 track?

GMichael
04-12-2011, 08:03 AM
These 8 track experts give away their age. Anyone know how to adjust my 4 track?
Oh, a cassette tape?

Mr Peabody
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
8-track is the stuff baby, I'm in the process of recording mp3's on some of mine, endless loop of party fun! Why correct the crosstalk, that's to 8-track what snap crackle & pop is to LP.

bfalls
04-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Tracking? Azimuth? One way, auto-reverse?

Tracking is usually done by feeding a constant tone and recording a sample. A sample strip is dipped in "Magnaflux" which is a solution with magnetic particles which are attracted and adhere to the recorded tracks. The head is then shimmed so the outside track is fully on the tape. There may be a spec for the distance from the edge, but I don't remember what it is.

After tracking is performed. Tracking is setting the head gaps so they're exactly parallel with the tracks. As with cassette, a 2K or 10K (fine tuning) reference tape is played and the outputs fed to a dual-trace scope. The tilt of the head is adjusted so the two signals (sine waves) align one on top of the other and the amplitude is max. You can adjust the azimuth screw to get them aligned.

I've seen some auto-reverse and two-head 4-track models which require you to track and perform azimuth adjustment to both heads. Be sure to have the guides well cleaned and roller bearings replaced if frozen because build-up and intermittent bearing catch can cause tracking issues. Also be sure the head doesn't have wear grooves worn in it, which can also affect the alignment. If you don't have a new head or option to have the head polished, lapping tape can be used to temporarily smooth the grove(s). Hope this helps.

I worked for the CBS Tape facility in Terre Haute IN. for 5yrs as an electronics technician. I've performed tracking and setup on all types of recording equipment from 1" 3M Iso-Loop Master playback and record decks to Nakamichi home and commercial cassette decks. I was also responsible for EQ on all of our QA/QC A/B listening rooms. I was there until they closed in and now work for Sony in the same building.

Poultrygeist
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Muntz came out with the 4 track and a few years later Bill Lear turned it into an 8 tack.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Did Muntz work for Sony?