Newbie ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?

taoist
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Hello all. It's been a long time since I frequented this site with any regularity. Life has a way of twisting and changing, as we all know. Anyway, since I was a regular user and poster many years ago, this site has no record of my posts despite the fact that the reviews are still intact. The site shows I registered in 2002 but I know for a fact that I used to cruise the reviews before I started building my system and registering. I'm not upset about being registered as a newbie but it just seems strange.
The wife and myself moved into a house in 2005 that isn't big enough for an audio room so my systems are still in storage...Alas, I will try to get my audio buzz vicariously by reading a following all your blogs, concerns, and reviews.
Thanks for listening.

dakatabg
04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Well welcome or welcome back

taoist
04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks...

dakatabg
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
So what system do you have?

Mr Peabody
04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
There would have to be room for some type of decent sound in the house I would occupy.

02audionoob
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Welcome to AR. At least get yourself a nice pair of headphones. Rip a boatload of CDs to your hard drive and voila...

taoist
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
I should probably clarify my statement by saying that we do have an audio system that is usable in the house, and it does sound decent. It consists of a Denon 2 channel receiver, a Denon CD player, Denon cassette deck and Paradigm "studio"speakers that sound pretty good. This is the wife's system from long ago. I also have "I Tunes" on my computer so I am not without any audio inspiration.
My audio gear consists off 2 systems controlled by the same preamp but with different power amps.
The preamp for both systems is an old Lexicon DC 1. The "home theater" system utilizes an old Outlaw Audio 750 5 channel power amp and is somewhere between 165 and 200 wpc if I remember correctly. The speakers are M&k S5000THX for the front mains, a S150 THX for the center channel, SS150THX for the surrounds, and a Citation passive sub woofer with a Marantz mono block amp to power it. A Pioneer (old) dvd player runs the video.
The 2 channel systems uses the Lex and an Aragon 8002 power amp with an NAD cd player, and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven speakers.
I got out of vinyl years ago but now want to go back in with a new turn table and a Rega cd player. I would also like to get a tube preamp for the 2 channel system as the Aragon is one of the most colorless amps I have ever heard. You hear exactly what is there, no more and no less. It also reveals the quality of the recording and thankfully those seem to be getting better all the time. I also have a pair of Sennheiser 580 headphones that I really like. All of it is connected with "Better Cables."
Thanks for listening as it has been years since I even thought about all my audio gear in storage.
I have heard $50,000-$100,000 systems I would love to have but for what I have invested in them, I am happy.

hifi-freak
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
From what i read, you have a nice home rig. Some pictures would be nice...maybe i'm asking too much?

BTW, welcome to AR...i have almost 2 weeks on being a member.

taoist
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Since the stuff is boxed and in storage I doubt pictures are a viable option now. Hopefully by this time next year our addition will be complete and everything will be set up.
When I first joined this website, there was no forum, just reviews and gear for sale by both sponsors and individuals. My how times have changed here.