Omega Super 6 Alcino XRS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Omega Super 6 Alcino XRS

Yamahog12
03-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has these or has auditioned them? http://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super6series#xrs I plan to give them a listen soon but would like to hear what others know about them. Thanks.

atomicAdam
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I've never head those - but they look very interesting. A frequency response up to 18kHz might sound extremely rolled off if you can still hear that high. If you do get a chance to listen to them I'd be very interested in know what amp they are paired with and how cymbals and chimes sound, as well how the harmonics or interplay chimes/chime like sounds, sound.

atomicAdam
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Also if you get a chance try to demo something that plays deep bass and horns at the same time it would be interesting to hear as well. Turn it up and see if it crackle, or staging falls apart or compression of the dynamics. You could also do well playing some large classical pieces on them.

Yamahog12
03-30-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm not even close to being knowledgeable about this stuff, but these were recommended by someone who is, and sells only top notch stuff. He also allows one to try them at home before making the purchase, which I would do if I am still interested after hearing them at his listening studio.

My amp is not top notch; an old Yamaha 100 wpc unit I bought about 15 or more years ago, but I'm keeping it for now. So we'll see how it sounds when using better speakers than the old Infinity SM100s I have now! I'll report back after I hear them.

atomicAdam
03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
I'd be a bit careful with pairing that amp with those speakers.

Those might not be the end all in speakers or price but their sensitivity rating, pairing with that 100w solid state, might produces a harsh and brittle sound. And you risk blowing the speakers if you turn it up.

When you go and demo the speakers, find out what the guy is running, and cost. Not that I suspect anything a foot, but it will give you an idea of what these speakers pair well with.

For instance, the normal saying is to spend most of speakers, then amp, source, cables. But sometimes you'll find the amplifier costing many times more the speaker.

If you find that it is in fact a low wattage amp, there are a ton of pretty good sounding and cheap ones out there. Either from eBay, a manufacturer, or go the DIY route and build a kit.

Yamahog12
03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I appreciate your input. Since I'm not an expert I could be sold something that doesn't match up well for me. He does know what my amp is, and like I said, he allows people to actually take equipment home and trial before buying. While I trust no one blindly, this guy has an impeccable reputation as one who sells what he feels is best for you within your budget. I will certainly ask him about your concerns, though. Last year I went and met this guy and listened to several different speakers. There was zero pressure, and he allowed me all the time I wanted to try any equipment I wanted.

I ended up not making a purchase last year for several reasons so now I'm back at it. Anyway, thank you for voicing your concern and I will definitely bring those points up when I go out there.

bfalls
03-30-2011, 08:38 AM
For $2350/pr, let's see what you get. Two boxes, two speaker, input terminals and brass points to use on carpets. I understand some full-range drivers can be costly, but it doesn't even go full full-range 20Hz-20KHz.

As a noob, there's probably a better pair of speakers which will suit your needs. I can see if you're interested in using them with your collection of fly-weight SET amps and need the efficiency, but I think once you start comparing these to other speakers, you'll discover the definition of "diminishing returns".

Yamahog12
03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Well, they're all boxes! I'm not looking to spend more than I need to, believe me. And I'm not sold on anything yet-especially not something I haven't even heard. Yes, I'm a noob, but it is a real possibility that I might become an addict and upgrade everything I have. For now I'm starting with speakers but I could well end up buying a new amp, and using the Yamaha to upgade my "garage stereo". If money were no object, I'd own the best sounding system there is.

I definitely plan to listen to other options. I was just soliciting opinions about these in case anyone has experience with them.

What is SET as you used it?

bobsticks
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular speaker but I'm quite familiar with its little brother:

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super5series

One of my buddies uses these in conjunction with a Jolida (302?) and Marantz 5001 cd player for a nice budget office system. As far as build quality goes I can tell you that the Model 5 is a contender, constructed thoughtfully and with much attention to detail. The mids are lush though not overreaching and the highs are appropriate. Between the amp and the speaker their are low frequency deficiencies but that's to be expected in a monitor and medium watt tube amp. The smaller Model 5 with different drivers will obviously have some different characteristics but I'd imagine the voicings reflecting the Omega "house sound" will be similar.

Yamahog12
03-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Can someone explain what "sensitivity" regarding speakers means? Thanks.

Yamahog12
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok. I read up on it. But I don't understand the following comment made earlier:
"Those might not be the end all in speakers or price but their sensitivity rating, pairing with that 100w solid state, might produces a harsh and brittle sound. And you risk blowing the speakers if you turn it up."

Why would the sensitivity create a harsh sound? And, if the amp is matched with the speakers regarding impedance, why is there a risk of blowing the speakers up?

Thanks.

atomicAdam
03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
It is just something I've noticed from pairing high sensitivity speakers with powerful solid states - especially ones that aren't high end.

but everyone has their own set of ears - so you have to hear for yourself if you like the pairing or not