Nakamichi CD4 - Fix or Replace? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nakamichi CD4 - Fix or Replace?

mojo1819
03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
I have a Nakamichi CD4 that won't read discs. I have since purchased a simple Sony DVP-NC875V DVD/CD player. Never got to be able to do an A/B test between the systems. The question is: do I

a) pay $75 to fix the CD4 and use the Sony just for DVDs?
b) give the CD4 away on CraigsList and simply use the Sony?
c) use the $75 to invest in a BluRay/DVD/CD player that isn't too expensive, but is a better CD player than the Sony?

The rest of my system:
- NAD 1700 pre
- NAD 204 amp
- Audes Blues speakers
- Music Hall MMF5 turntable
- Tara Labs Prism 55i interconnects
- Monster Cable M2.2 speaker wire

Enochrome
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Depends if movies are just as important as music to you. Many people say that players that do both will not be as good as a stand alone cd player; i don't agree. If you see yourself buying a lot more cd's in the future, and do your homework on reviews of players I would choose "c". If not, try a used Cambridge Audio cd player on Audiogon (not Ebay!). I have heard decent things about them.

Personally, unless you have a massive cd collection, I would not invest a lot into a cd player becuase it is becoming slowly an extinct medium. Went into Best Buy yesterday and there cd section shrunk by 2/3rd's and Amoeba in L.A. here, sells more vinyl than cd's now. Digital downloads and vinyl will be the mediums that will be left.

mojo1819
03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Enochrome, thanks for the advice. Not buying any new CDs these days, just digging through the old stack:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_qanu_Bq__uQ/TZLX8Bjeh6I/AAAAAAAANho/iPtN3Vx8ciU/s512/IMG_0903.JPG

:)

Enochrome
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, then I would get a blu-ray player so you are happy on both ends. Look for one that gets good reviews on audio karma, stevehoffman.tv, or ecoustics.com, and of course here.
I would take a little time and cross reference all the sites. I started doing this after awhile and I have avoided some bad decisions. But, don't dwell too long you'll go crazy second guessing yourself :) Pick the one that is the best bang for the buck. I would look into a player that is future proof i.e. that offers online updates and has the ability to take advantage of the new streaming apps (pandora, netflix etc...)

British blu-ray players from the great two-channel companies: Rotel, Rega, Cambridge Audo, etc... have somewhat affordable players, but you have to check the region code compatibility and most likely the streaming apps will not be their, or if they are they will be euro centric (which can be frustrating).

Wish I could offer you some suggestions on good players, but I am not a big movie person. In fact, I'm getting rid of my surround system because, for me, two channel music is more important, and I think there are very few examples of good surround music or movies.

Good Luck!!

Welcome to the forum, and ask more questions in the other topics there are so many more people that know a hell of a lot more than I do.