What a big change ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What a big change !

dvjorge
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi guys,
I got an Arcam DVD player in Ebay at a very low price. ($149.00) The DV 78 isn't only a DVD player but a High End CD player. It smoked my NAD and Rotel very easy. It use a Wolson DAC 24/96 khz used by Cambridge Audio and Rotel in their top models. It is incredible a DVD player can give this sound.
Jorge.

Mr Peabody
03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Congrats. I am the choir, Arcam definitely know what they are doing with digital playback.

dvjorge
03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, sr.
If you see it inside, that says all. It uses the same Wolfson DAC Cambridge Audio used in its top of the line 640 CD player. Well, it is a DVD player but I am sure it will leave back many cd players. Arcam says it is an audiophile grade cd player, and they designed it paying close attention to the audio quality.
Jorge

Mr Peabody
03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
The 640 was a few notches down from top, the top was the 840. They may use the same DAC but Arcam adds some spices to the recipe, it would be an interesting side by side.

pixelthis
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
HATE to rain on your parade, but except for audio playback, maybe, its obsolete.
DVD in general is obsolete.
I bought a cheap portable DVD player for work, but in two places while shopping I
saw portable BLU players for 299 with WI-FI. Couldnt afford that for a player to watch during down time, but the point is that even in the portable niche market BLU is slowly but surely replacing DVD, indeed its an upgrade of DVD.:1:

dvjorge
03-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes, it is. But as a CD player, it is awesome. I bought it as a cd player. I never could pay $ 1000 for a cd player. This DVD sounds equal or better than any $1000 cd player. I got it mint condition for only $149.00. Still, there are people paying $300 and more for old Nad, Rotel, and Cambridge cd players in ebay. I am sure this Arcam DVD sounds better than those. This is the right moment to buy a high quality dvd player to use it as a cd player. People are changing to Blue-ray, and let the old models go !

Bill K Davis
03-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Would the dv79 give similar audio quality?

Mr Peabody
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Bill, my guess would be, yes.

rakeford
03-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Hi guys,
I got an Arcam DVD player in Ebay at a very low price. ($149.00) The DV 78 isn't only a DVD player but a High End CD player. It smoked my NAD and Rotel very easy. It use a Wolson DAC 24/96 khz used by Cambridge Audio and Rotel in their top models. It is incredible a DVD player can give this sound.
Jorge.
Congrates dvjorge, enjoy.

My main digital player is DVD, the Yamaha DVD-S2700. It plays CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and of DVD-Video (which I've never used). It sound great with all my digital discs.

Yep, now is the time to snap up the good & great DVD players.