Doing a little upgrading/house cleaning... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Doing a little upgrading/house cleaning...

Worf101
03-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Poot Butt's off to college this Fall. When he's gone I think I might convert his room into a 2 channel listening room (FINALLY). But I made up my mind long ago that I wouldn't allow this hobby/passion to interfere with my paying for his schooling. I've got enough gear around (particularly speakers) to keep me busy for decades. However some have to be repaired and franky, some have to go.

This is the current inventory:

Epicure 14's (modded rears in computer room) and 20+

EPI: 201's, 202's, 100's

Allison: Model 4's and some late model crap

ADS: 1290's (current HT mains)

Platinum Audio Studio: Two's (three speakers) and Three's

Ohm Walsh: 2's (HT rears) , 4's and F's (Ver.2)

Logik Brand Speakers of Unknown Models (fronts Computer system).

I'm planning on modding the Epicure 20+'s and EPI 201's with new caps, wire and posts. The ADS 1290's will stay as well the Platinum Studio 3's. I'm using the Ohm 2's so that leaves plenty of cool stuff up for sale. I hate to sell anything but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go. Any advice.

Worf

bobsticks
03-28-2011, 05:44 AM
IMHO, I'd start fresh with eye for capturing a presentation unlike that which I already enjoy. Given the spacial-rendering characteristics of the Ohms, maybe some horns and tubes? Maybe some analog?

You seem pretty handy, I'm sure a diy project would be rewarding and could be sort of custom tailored to fit your room.

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-links.html

http://www.frugal-horn.com/

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/tubes.htm

http://sarris.info/main/tube-amp-diy-projects

bfalls
03-28-2011, 06:30 AM
I understand fully. When my son left the house my wife and I moved out of our 12.5'x25' bedroom/TV room into his 15'x15' bedroom and made our old bedroom a dedicated theater room. It houses two full HT systems and additional various speaker pairs which I switch in/out and listen to from time to time according my mood.
I was going to give some speakers away to my grandsons, but to my wife's disappointment, I decided to do some speaker building projects with them instead.

dean_martin
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Worf, I hate to be a party pooper but where are you going to put the kid when he's home for Thanksgiving/Christmas/spring break/summer break/the occasional long holiday weekend/and the occasional weekend he decides to just come home? I had those thoughts of extra space but it doesn't work like that my friend. I don't think it really works until kids have their own place and source of income after college and THEN you have to deal with the wife wondering out loud about where the future grandchildren will sleep when they visit . . .arrrgghhh!!!

HOWEVER, there are work-arounds. One of my sons doesn't come home nearly as often as the other. So, I set up a headphone listening station in the corner of the less frequent visitor's room. That way, he can use it too when he is home and won't feel unwelcomed. Eventually, we're hoping he will need to take his bedroom furniture then we can put in a futon or sleeper sofa which won't take up as much space, but can be used when he visits. Then I can go to a speaker-based system. Unfortunately, the other son's room will probably remain a conventional bedroom for guests and the kids or their friends. Oh, and that's another thing. College kids are notorious for bringing friends home with them. You'll have to put them somewhere. Air mattresses and sleeping bags may work but you never know with today's quirky kids. Good luck.

Worf101
03-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Worf, I hate to be a party pooper but where are you going to put the kid when he's home for Thanksgiving/Christmas/spring break/summer break/the occasional long holiday weekend/and the occasional weekend he decides to just come home? I had those thoughts of extra space but it doesn't work like that my friend. I don't think it really works until kids have their own place and source of income after college and THEN you have to deal with the wife wondering out loud about where the future grandchildren will sleep when they visit . . .arrrgghhh!!!

HOWEVER, there are work-arounds. One of my sons doesn't come home nearly as often as the other. So, I set up a headphone listening station in the corner of the less frequent visitor's room. That way, he can use it too when he is home and won't feel unwelcomed. Eventually, we're hoping he will need to take his bedroom furniture then we can put in a futon or sleeper sofa which won't take up as much space, but can be used when he visits. Then I can go to a speaker-based system. Unfortunately, the other son's room will probably remain a conventional bedroom for guests and the kids or their friends. Oh, and that's another thing. College kids are notorious for bringing friends home with them. You'll have to put them somewhere. Air mattresses and sleeping bags may work but you never know with today's quirky kids. Good luck.
You sir are despicable!!!!

Can't you allow a broken man any hope? Would it have been too much to ask for you to leave me one shred of misplaced forlorn hope that I might actually GAIN some room with his immenent departure? No!!!! That would've been too kind of you!!!! LOL Oh Deano, I knew I was outta luck but a man has to dream, a man has to have something to look forward to, some shred of hope that he might regain some control over his home again. But I know it won't happen... Sigh...

Thanks for the chuckle

Worf

recoveryone
03-30-2011, 07:04 AM

Can't you allow a broken man any hope? Would it have been too much to ask for you to leave me one shred of misplaced forlorn hope that I might actually GAIN some room with his immenent departure? No!!!! That would've been too kind of you!!!! LOL Oh Deano, I knew I was outta luck but a man has to dream, a man has to have something to look forward to, some shred of hope that he might regain some control over his home again. But I know it won't happen... Sigh...

Thanks for the chuckle

Worf

Worf, do like I did, I went out and brought a futon for my daughters old room that I turned into a small media room upstairs. That way when she comes home she has a bed to sleep on. This will be our first summer with her back and I'm thinking a small storage space will do the trick for 3 months, she only has mini frige and her clothes. I may just squeeze it into the garage. FIGHT TO TAKE BACK OUR HOMES!!!! :3:

dean_martin
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the chuckle

Worf
I have several white flags I can send you. Most of them are used.

Mingus
03-31-2011, 04:22 AM
I didn't have this decision to make, my two older daughters went to college locally. My neighbor's son is attending college in upstate NY and it seems like he's home at least once a month and sometimes with friends.

thekid
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Right there with you Bro!

We officially become empty nesters when my son leaves for school next fall.
Not sure what designs I have for his room. I set him up with a nice DCM HT but I am thinking a vintage set-up can go in there as well.