Some things just never change [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some things just never change

Davey
03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
We all probably have some of those artists or albums that live with us, and have stayed with us over the years. I have a few that I came of age with, and now grow old with... what are some of yours?

Right now it's Closer from the Joy Division Japan Boxset from 1991, and it is sounding really good. I think this is by far the best CD version, but I've also been listening to some 24-96 vinyl rips of the original Factory vinyl, and that sounds pretty nice too.

I've finally got a pretty decent computer front end setup, with my HP Pavilion dv6 I got right before Christmas, running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit and feeding music via foobar and WASAPI to a Musical Fidelity V-Link asynchronous USB to SPDIF convertor out to my DAC, which can handle both 16-44 and 24-96 digital.

Anyway, back to the topic, lately I've been on kind of a Bowie/Eno/Talking Heads path, three artists that helped define my coming of age listening habits, and that still play a major role. I was listening earlier today to some great live Bowie from that well know and loved Nassau Coliseum 3-23-76 soundboard bootleg. What a great band! He had both Carlos Alomar and Stacey Haydon on guitar, and it cooks from the start. Opens with a 12+ minute Station to Station, so you know there was some guitar workouts going on there :)

Was also listening to a vinyl rip of the MFSL Ziggy Stardust, though to honest it has always been too bass heavy for me. I actually prefer my 1980 RCA International UK vinyl, or the original RCA Japan CD. None of the later remasters sound right, way too modernized.

Any 801 fans? Like I said, I've been on a heavy Brian Eno kick lately, and have always loved that 801 Live record he and Phil Manzanera and friends recorded in the mid 70s at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Really sounds almost too good for a live record, especially Eno, but who cares. Love it. I actually just downloaded a 24-96 copy of it recently, since my old EG USA vinyl is kind of whack. I have the original EG CD and also the 1999 remaster with the 2 extra tracks. Anyone heard the recent Japan expanded 2-CD version? Think I will need to track that one down at some point. One of my favorite live records ever, though I usually stick to the short and sweet 10-song original.

And right now I've got some "Uh Oh Love Comes to Town" playing from the Talking Heads Outtakes, Demos & Alternates, which is a studio bootleg with some pretty cool alternate versions, including the totally Fripped out "Life During Wartime". But as usual, the better versions made it to record.

Also been spending a lot of time with Hope Sandoval lately, since just before my lovestruck posting of that Jools Holland video a couple weeks ago. Man, those three Mazzy Star records in the early-mid 90s were pretty special. That was a pretty cool sound. I've been listening some to her two Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions records and they are very good too, but not really that same warm psychedelic style.

Also been listening a bunch to the Devo debut from the Japan box that I shamelessly downloaded it from. I generally don't care much for recent remasters because of the jacked up sound, but some of the new Japan remasters actually sound pretty good. I'd never buy a modern remaster without listening first, especially when they are premium priced, cause most of them just sound awful, but I've been Mongoloid rocking today and it sounds pretty nice (sample in sig), though still quite a bit too loud, and maybe too modern sounding, but loads of fun. Let me know if you need a link, but most of the Japan remasters are easy to find....

And he wore a hat
And he had a job
And he brought home the bacon
So that no one knew

He was a mongoloid, mongoloid
Happier than you and me
Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid
And it determined what he could see

Swish
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
...but I've been in a VU/Joy Division/Luna mood ever since hearing the Feelies got back together and are touring...and I got TICKETS! A bunch of us will be going to the World Cafe Live in Philly on June 17th, and this will qualify as a veritable 'blast from the past'.

MasterCylinder
03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Way too many to list.
But my Number One is an easy choice for me...............

Return to Forever's ROMANTIC WARRIOR.

What a fantastic collection of fusion-work.

Jim Clark
03-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. I actually decided to give them a listen, after the tedious d/l process. 'course I haven't listened to all of them, haven't listened on anything other than the car stereo, and haven't compared them to any other versions but it'll be fun to do. Immediate impression is that it's difficult to sound better than the vinyl versions, but isn't that what usually happens?

Now, I wish I could find an outlet for the Siouxsie remasters. Tons abound but all mp3 versions which seems pretty pointless.

Regards,
jc

Davey
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Now, I wish I could find an outlet for the Siouxsie remasters. Tons abound but all mp3 versions which seems pretty pointless.

Regards,
jc

If you are talking about the 2009 remasters, some of them are up at Avax in flac ...I don't know how they sound

http://avaxsearch.com/avaxhome_search?q=Siouxsie+Banshees+2009+remaster&a=&c=2&l=&sort_by=&commit=Search

Author: countryfreak Date: 2010-05-12 05:31:51
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Hyaena (Remaster) (2009) Easy CD-DA Rip | FLAC (Images) + CUE, NO LOG | 425 MB | Covers Included Genre: Rock/Punk/Post-Punk | Label: Polydor Records | Catalog Number: 531489-5 Original Release 1984 | RAR 5% Rec. | RS.com

Author: countryfreak Date: 2010-05-12 05:29:24
Siouxsie & The Banshees - A Kiss In The Dreamhouse (Remaster) (2009) Easy CD-DA Rip | FLAC (Images) + CUE, NO LOG | 418 MB | Covers Included Genre: Rock/Punk/Post-Punk | Label: Polydor Records | Catalog Number: 531489-6 Original Release 1982 | RAR 5% Rec. | RS.com

Author: countryfreak Date: 2010-05-21 04:36:42
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Nocturne (Remaster) (2009)) CD-DA Extractor Rip | FLAC (Image) + CUE, NO LOG | 440 MB | Covers Included Genre: Rock/Punk/Post-Punk | Label: Polydor Records | Catalog Number: 531489-4 Original Release 1983 | RAR 5% Rec. | RS.com

Davey
03-29-2011, 08:55 AM
...but I've been in a VU/Joy Division/Luna mood ever since hearing the Feelies got back together and are touring

That should be a blast! I wonder how long it will last? At least they are putting out some new material. I was just listening to Lou Reed's 2002 Transformer remaster a few days ago after a long time, and it was pretty fun. I used to be such a big Reed fan throughout the 80s, following each new turn and each new guitar protege he brought on board, until sometime in the early 90s I kinda lost interest. But some of that early stuff when he was experimenting with the glammy side is still a real good time. In that Bowie Live set I mentioned (It is a 2-CD part of the new Station to Station 5-CD remaster), he performs a pretty cool version of "I'm waiting for the man". Different feel, for sure. Maybe I'll post it later.

unleasHell
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Mummy Was an Asteroid (Daddy Was A Small Non-Stick Kitchen Utensil)

Love 801 & Quiet Sun, I have an in-store poster from Eno's first album (Here comes the Warm Jets)...

And in case I have never mentioned it, JD - Unknown Pleasures is my favorite record of all time...!

Personally, I don't have the money to experiment with multiple releases of the same album, I usually just get one and stick with it...

I like the Bowie Ryko (CD) releases just fine....

Worf101
03-30-2011, 05:15 AM
I've been reliving the 80's which I ignored totally when they were happening. I've recently bought boxed sets of Joe Jackson and REM (both the IRS years and later). I also got disks featuring the best of Todd Rundgren, who's not technically an "80's artist. Interesting stuff.

Worf

Jim Clark
03-30-2011, 06:40 AM
If you are talking about the 2009 remasters, some of them are up at Avax in flac ...I don't know how they sound

I'll check them out. Thank you Davey.

Regards,
jc

Davey
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll check them out. Thank you Davey.

Regards,
jc

Help yourself. I downloaded Hyaena and it doesn't sound very good to me, way too loud. The originals are probably still the way to go unless you want a bunch of throwaway bonus tracks and don't mind modern mastering practices.

The Bowie boxset I mentioned above is kind of a mixed bag, CD-wise. The new Station to Station remastered disc is very good, and it includes the also very good sounding original 1985 WG RCA master too in the 5-CD set, which I already have and is my favorite version. The Live Nassau show is exactly opposite in that they obviously have a better source than the Suffragette City bootleg I have, and it is the only complete version around, but they chose to brickwall it. Very strange. Why brickwall a live show? It could have been the definitive release. I have read reports on the Hoffman site that the included vinyl version is much better, though. But you'd have to be a real fanatic to buy a big boxset like that dedicated to just one album! The 24-96 stereo mix of STS on the DVD is supposed to be pretty good too.

Jim Clark
03-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Help yourself. I downloaded Hyaena and it doesn't sound very good to me, way too loud. The originals are probably still the way to go unless you want a bunch of throwaway bonus tracks and don't mind modern mastering practices.

Actually, IMHO, Hyaena was the only decently mastered Siouxsie disc in the first place. The rest of the CDs are very poor with very audible tape hiss throughout. Vinyl has always been the route to go with this band so I was hopeful for the remasters. Worth a try although d/l'ing them in timed sections can be trying!

Thanks again,
jc

SlumpBuster
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
When you posted that Mazzy Star video I pretty much spent the rest of the day listening to Mazzy Star. What I haven't heard is Sandoval's other work. I have a homework assignment.

Davey
03-30-2011, 01:09 PM
When you posted that Mazzy Star video I pretty much spent the rest of the day listening to Mazzy Star.
Yea, I know what you mean, that's pretty addicting stuff to me. Also pulled out the Opal "Happy Nightmare Baby" record that spawned Mazzy Star, and that one has been spun up a few times too. Cool sound. Maybe next up it's time for some Dream Syndicate, since that spawned Opal. "Medicine Show", that'll fit the ticket, and ties it back to Lou Reed. But stay away from the new remaster, way too loud and punchy. Original is the way to go here :)