China Overtake North America As World’s Largest LCD TV Market [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : China Overtake North America As World’s Largest LCD TV Market

Smokey
03-26-2011, 11:58 AM
North America is no longer the largest market for sales of LCD TV displays in the world. The throne now belongs to China, according to the most recent data from Korean market research and consulting firm Displaybank.

It revealed that in 2010, the demand for LCD TVs in China stood at 39 million units, constituting 21% of the worldwide market share. As a result, the region has surpassed North America (which claimed a 19% share last year) as the world’s biggest LCD TV market.

Local TV manufacturers dominated the scene in China: the top six Chinese companies – Haier, Konka, Changhong, Skyworth, TCL and Hisense – made up three-quarters of the total LCD TV market share in China.

In terms of supplying LCD panels to these six Chinese TV brands, Taiwanese corporation Chimei Innolux led with a 32% share, followed by Korean HDTV manufacturers LG and Samsung at 21% and 18% respectively.

dakatabg
03-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow seems that China gets to be number 1 in pretty much anything!

Smokey
03-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Wow seems that China gets to be number 1 in pretty much anything!

That is true, but one wonder about the quality of these homemade HDTVs or can they compete in global market. I have seen couple of their brands (Hisense and Haier) on Walmart web site, and their prices are slightly lower than major brands.

Smokey
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
I take pride that no part of my audio rig is made outside of the usa.

How about if it is made in Mexico :D

You really can not escape globalism. Even China have to import LCD panels for their own brand HDTVs from Taiwan and Korea.

Woochifer
03-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Haier, Konka, Changhong, Skyworth, TCL and Hisense

So, which of these TVs are you buying? :D

bobsticks
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
So, which of these TVs are you buying? :D

CHANGHONG 长虹, in attempt to maximize its market share and capture even the lowest price points, is releasing the Smokescreen.1 model. In attempt to avoid licensing fees and reduce production costs the ".1" will come with only analog-out audio connections and S-Video hookups. All processing will be accomplished by rapping hamsters on loan from Korea with crucial audio dampening done with bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Each 42 inch unit will be available for $89.98. Smokey's has been on backorder for two weeks and will remain so through the foreseable future.

Actually, they do seem to have met with mixed reviews: http://www.productreview.com.au/p/changhong-celestial-lt-series-lcd.html
Supposedly the newer 3D versions will showcase greater QC and user friendly options.

Smokey
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
All processing will be accomplished by rapping hamsters on loan from Korea with crucial audio dampening done with bean sprouts and water chestnuts.

Are they building a TV or an echo system :D

I tried one of Chinese TV brand Apex back on in 2002, and it was the worst TV I have ever seen with terrible build and picture quaity. Lets hope they have improved the quaity since then.

pixelthis
03-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Are they building a TV or an echo system :D

I tried one of Chinese TV brand Apex back on in 2002, and it was the worst TV I have ever seen with terrible build and picture quaity. Lets hope they have improved the quaity since then.

i JUST TOOK BACK a 7" Haier with a DVD player, backlight leaked around the left edge.
MY standards are lower for portable devices, but give me a break. Couldn't pick up any channels without cable. This is just a little portable, hate to see a more serious effort.:1: