Should The Who retire 'My Generation'? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should The Who retire 'My Generation'?

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm watching "Later...with Jools Holland" and The Who is on. They are currently performing My Generation and it just doesn't have the same impact being sung by a 67-year-old. :rolleyes:

bobsticks
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
They should retire "My Generation" because most of their generation is retired.

Mr Peabody
03-24-2011, 06:20 PM
It's still their generation though and I say let them go as long as they can. I imagine the visual does take something away from the persona :)

Some of the summer outdoor concerts are starting to be announced and ticket sales, it's interesting that the old bands are what's on the bill, Journey, Def Leppard, Motley Crew..... Hopefully, maybe, something better is in store. Could be they are letting the veterans have first crack at the entertainment dollar. Also, interesting considering who they are and the economy ticket prices are not cheap. They do have them packaged together though like Heart is with DL and Foreigner with Journey. I doubt if we see the Who out any more live, Who knows though :)

JohnMichael
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
My Generation will be the new theme song for AARP.

MasterCylinder
03-25-2011, 04:07 AM
I thought that song sucked from day one.............as does most WHO material.

I like Live at Leeds and Who's Next.

Anybody read the Keith Moon bio ?
The true manifestation of sex, drugs and rock & roll.......and a real dumbass.

Hyfi
03-25-2011, 04:30 AM

Yeah, they shouldn't just retire the song, they should just retire.

3LB
03-25-2011, 07:43 AM
maybe The Who could rethink that song. If they can still play, the let'em. But that's if... I still say that SB appearence was canned, or at least parts of it were.

MasterCylinder
03-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Check this video...............perfect............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1grDp7_a9ZY

Hyfi
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Check this video...............perfect............

That i s great. I didn't know he did anything other than christian comedy. There is an hour speacial I have seen on UHF where they are trying to sell a DVD. He does similar songs but parodies what they sing in progressive churches.

Good find!

bobsticks
03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
My Generation will be the new theme song for AARP.

A hush falls over the darkened, stadium-sized arena...the distant sound of an arpeggiator breaks the silence and a wall of giant-sized plasmas cut to Townshend and Daltry exiting their limousines and strutting purposefully through the maze of backhallways...

INTRO: Michael Buffer: Ladies and gentlemen...fogeys and curmudgeons from around the world...now is the moment you've all been waiting for...AARP in conjunction with P&G Promotions present to the hundreds in attendance...and the thousands recording on their VHR's around the globe because it's past their bedtimes...you know them through their 100 million albums sold...they've become industry icons and household names from 27 chart-topping singles...now welcome to the stage, dressed in bellbottom floods and blue and white striped sailor shirts...the Monsters of Monterey...the Whalers of Woodstock...the Quadrophenia quadripalegics...coming to you from Sussexfordbirkchiretwickhamnem...the undisputed champions of "I've-fallen-and-I-can't-get-up" Stumble and Roll...Tthheee WWhhhhoooooo..(wa)

A blast, an explosion of light as Lady GaGa and a troupe of androgynous dancers begin to bump and grind in choreographed fashion, wearing nothing more than ballgowns made of runny mashed potatos, as "Happy Jack" blares in the background...

20 minutes later The Who take the stage as a giant balloon, a majestic purple elephant floats lazily over the crowd whose liver-spotted arms reach to sky and fumble with child proof lighters...another explosion!!...and bottles of Metamucil and boxes of Wheatina plummet from the colossal pinata's innards, concussing the elderly below...

Swish
03-25-2011, 09:00 AM

I like Live at Leeds and Who's Next.

Anybody read the Keith Moon bio ?
The true manifestation of sex, drugs and rock & roll.......and a real dumbass.

Most of their material sucks? Tommy was nearly a masterpiece and well ahead of its time? Quadrophenia was also pretty fine. I haven't really listened to them much after that, but they're one of the few remaining iconic bands. You are a very bad man!

GMichael
03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
The Geritol generation?

unleasHell
03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
It was always a favorite of people who stutter..

talkin' bout my ge gen gen generation...

forget retiring it, destroy the master tapes...!

unleasHell
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
It was always a favorite of people who stutter..

talkin' bout my ge gen gen generation...

forget retiring it, destroy the master tapes...!

Rae
03-27-2011, 07:11 AM
I find the notion that rock musicians or bands should retire when they age somewhat curious. We'd never expect a jazz or blues musician to retire just because they're no longer young... let alone artists in other fields like actors, writers, or visual artists. Is it more about their relevancy than their age? I guess I feel that the industry and the consumers dictate that as much as the artists themselves. As long as people are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to watch Daltrey & Townsend perform "My Generation" in some corporate-sponsored arena, I can imagine why they continue to do it. Wouldn't you? Even artists like Dylan or Bowie who've challenged themselves and changed over the years (maintaining some semblance of "artistic integrity", I guess) seem to get constant criticism and suggestions that they hang it up.

I suppose I'd prefer a world where The Who remains a vital creative entity instead of just rehashing their well-known singles, but even in that world I wouldn't begrudge them working "My Generation" into their set every once in a while. Sure, the idea of a 67-year-old man singing "I hope I die before I get old" is a little absurd, but that's not the point. He meant it once, and who he is now is at least partly informed by who he was then.

~Rae

rakeford
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM
These folks seem to get away with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY