PDA

View Full Version : Hyfi's Bad Review Thread

MasterCylinder
03-24-2011, 03:59 AM
"Here's a starter idea, everyone review an album that they hate."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great idea - I'll start............

Anything by MARILLION.
Because of advice received at this board, I've bought CDs by MARILLION and tried my best to get into the music...........I can't do it.

I think they suck.............my wife totally agrees.

Hyfi
03-24-2011, 04:23 AM
"Here's a starter idea, everyone review an album that they hate."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great idea - I'll start............

Anything by MARILLION.
Because of advice received at this board, I've bought CDs by MARILLION and tried my best to get into the music...........I can't do it.

I think they suck.............my wife totally agrees.

Funny, I was introduced to the Fish erra Marillion last year and like it since it sounds like Genesis. I then got a sampler of the newer H erra from their website and couldn't listen to it.

I think it was 3lb who sent me a sampler of more upbeat H tunes. It is growing on me now.

3LB
03-25-2011, 06:20 AM
I like Marillion, but don't love them. I couldn't fill two CDs with songs of their's I want to hear. They tend to be maudlin and they tend to put out samey sounding stuff from album to album. They musta remade the weepy Hollow Man a dozen times over. They do have songs that I just love, but they need to remember they're a rock band.

The Fish era however, I tend to find laughable. Especially their supposed masterpiece Misplaced Childhood. I cannot hear the song Lavender and not laugh.

Hogarth came along and took them in a different direction, but a lot of their stuff w/ him sounds similar to Talk Talk. How they're still revered in prog circles is beyond me, but no matter. They make for a good comp, but I can name only two of their albums I want to hear in one sitting.

Hey MC, what albums did you listen to?

MasterCylinder
03-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Hey MC, what albums did you listen to?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpts from a few and all of Afraid of Sunlight.
I've listened the that 2-disc release many times and can't get into it.

nobody
03-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Everything Jethro Tull ever released is horrifyingly mind shreddingly horrible. Prancing around with a flute is not rock 'n' roll.

Hyfi
03-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Everything Jethro Tull ever released is horrifyingly mind shreddingly horrible. Prancing around with a flute is not rock 'n' roll.

See now I grew up with JT, saw him 7 or 8 times late 70s-early 80s and then a few years back.

Martin Barre is one of the most under pushed guitarists out there and still blowing the strings off of most new players, like that lamo from the Black Keys. However, I am not a big fan of most albums post Too Old To R&R but for a song here and there.

Ya really need to go back and listen to This Was, Stand Up, and Benefit to here the best they did.

nobody
03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Oh, I know plenty of people like these guys and I have heard plenty of them over the years. But, taste being what ti is, just as I enjoy the hell outta the latest Black Keys album and you find it annoying, Jethro Tull is one of those bands that make my ears bleed in about 30 seconds flat any time I have listened. Pretty much if you want to create a template for music guaranteed to bug me...start with Jethro Tull.

If you could find a way to mix them with Van Halen, you could probably induce vomiting within 20 seconds on putting down the needle.

And yes, I am fully aware I listen to things that others feel similarly about. I just figure these comments go with the territory of a negative thread.

3LB
03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I have no use for The Doors. I think any fan of a band like The Doors has a hard time justfying why they'd dislike any band. Sure, the band did influence and inspire many people, because not only could you achiieve unbridled popularity in music with minimal talent, you could be totally ****ed in the head and write half-baked lyrics about being half baked and women will still line up to polish your oscar. I get that lots of dipsticks in pop music have hit songs for one reason or another, but how Morrison became an icon is beyond me. Prolly was the leather pants. Madonna is infinitely more talented and her pop status in infinitely more understandable. Of course, its somewhat understandable when you consider that the same media guys who annointed Morrison are same guys who beat-off to punk rock several years later, over-inflating its status as well.

Hyfi
03-25-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm gonna go with anything by Bruce where he sings, which is just about every song.

His backing band has always been great and Clarence is awesome. However, as soon as Bruce opens his mouth, off it goes. He may be a great song writer but he sucks as a vocalist and doesn't really play any meaningful guitar. Sometimes I wonder if he is even plugged in and it's all for show.

Of course I am in a minority here because I know very few people who dislike Bruce, but a lot of my tastes are in the minority range.

Swish
03-25-2011, 09:03 AM
...anything from the Wiggles. That guy Jeff is one weird looking dude.

bobsticks
03-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Yes.

...also, there's the obvious stuff...pop smear like DeBarge, Gloria Estefan, Peter Cetera, et al...but I'll up the ante too with CCR and Neil Diamond...just sucks...a whole new, amazing level of suckitude...

I actually have fantasies about kicking John Fogerty in the mouth when I hear, Ooh, ooh, ooh, looking out my backdoor...

nobody
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
I guess since we agree on the awfulness of Tull, I can let it slide that we can't agree on the greatness of CCR even though Fortunate Son is one of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever.

bobsticks
03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm sure we can agree to disagree. You have always been, and shall continue to be, a keen arbiter of non-mainstream rawkish stylings...:p

3LB
03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
ELP - had a couple of decent tunes, but I really got no use for them. In fact, I think most their stuff sucks. That shrill keyboard sound... absolutely nothing about this band's music engages me what-so-ever. The keyboardist should never be the star of the show.

Jack in Wilmington
03-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Oh, you are so wrong, in so many ways. Maybe you just don't get it. You have my sympathy. You are right about one thing, it's not rock 'n' roll. Tull is "Progressive Rock"

Here is a quote on Jethro Tull
"One of the worlds best selling artists, who has sold over 60 million albums, in a career that has spanned six decades.

Sorry that you missed the greatness that is Jethro Tull.

As you can tell you have struck a nerve, my good man.

Rae
03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
I unabashedly love Bruce Springsteen and CCR.

I was a longtime Doors naysayer but I've come around a bit in the last few years. I have a friend who loves Neil Diamond and has actually done a great job of convincing me that he's worthwhile... he was actually at a party once where the conversation turned to disparaging Neil and he was so intent on changing everyone's mind (and maybe a little bit drunk) that he actually jogged home to get some of his records, only to discover that he'd lost his housekeys-- so he broke a window, wriggled into his own house, and came back to the party with the records 20 minutes later.

I don't have much use for Jethro Tull or ELP but I can see why people like them. They're obviously adept at the genre they're in.

I've never heard anything by Marillion or the Wiggles. I'm guessing they wouldn't go that well together on a mixtape.

I'd much rather talk about music that I like than rag on music that other people like and I don't.

~Rae

bobsticks
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I'd much rather talk about music that I like than rag on music that other people like and I don't.

Yeah be we do that all the time...let's rag on someone. I feel a bad moon rising...

3LB
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a friend who loves Neil Diamond and has actually done a great job of convincing me that he's worthwhile... he was actually at a party once where the conversation turned to disparaging Neil and he was so intent on changing everyone's mind (and maybe a little bit drunk) that he actually jogged home to get some of his records, only to discover that he'd lost his housekeys -- so he broke a window, wriggled into his own house, and came back to the party with the records 20 minutes later.
that's his story, huh?

and look where that'll get you

Swish
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
...and Hot August Night was a pretty fine live record. More recently, his 2005 release, 12 Songs, that was produced by Rick Rubin, received quite a few accolades.

It's fairly easy, but simple-minded, to dismiss an artist or band as putrid, but a guy like Diamond has been around for 50+ years for a reason. Yes, he did some really crappy stuff in the middle of his career (Forever in Blue Jeans, etc..), but some of his early stuff was pretty good.

I also like some CCR as well. Like them or not, they had a unique style, unlike anything else that was around during their heyday and had a great deal of commercial success. I haven't listened to them in many years, but I was a fan way back when.

Just my 2 coppers.

Hyfi
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
It's fairly easy, but simple-minded, to dismiss an artist or band as putrid, but a guy like Diamond has been around for 50+ years for a reason.

Yeah, the ladies still dig a guy in tight pants with a sock stuffed in it :ciappa:

I also like some CCR as well. Like them or not, they had a unique style, unlike anything else that was around during their heyday and had a great deal of commercial success.

Just my 2 coppers.

I'm with ya here for the most part. Nothing like the sound of a nice Rickenbacker, I wish more people still played them today. But Fogerty's voice has a time limit.

Hyfi
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM

~Rae

It's actually interesting to find out why people don't like one thing but do like another.

Hey, I didn't start this thread, it was merely a suggestion. At least it got more than a pitty click, or worse a response from Finch:3:

Hyfi
03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
ELP - had a couple of decent tunes, but I really got no use for them. In fact, I think most their stuff sucks. That shrill keyboard sound... absolutely nothing about this band's music engages me what-so-ever. The keyboardist should never be the star of the show.

Interesting take.

""That shrill keyboard sound...""

Didn't ever Roller Skate at the rink in the 70s...man that organ kicked..

I saw last years Emerson & Lake tour. Even after several surgeries and more issues, Emerson could still school many people with ease. He does some amazing things including reaching over from the back and playing a whole song backwards.

Lake has always had, in my opinion, one of the best voices in rock. Power, feeling, emotion, range...makes you believe it. Plenty of his solo stuff isn't just like ELP, and the same for Kieth's last release.

Worf101
03-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Interesting thread. Well there's a couple I can't abide.

ABBA is one. Great for wedding showers and girls night out but like foot fungus its out there and just won't fickin go away.

The Bee Gee's - Even if I didn't mind the music their voices are beyond beliefl. A cross between chalk on a blackboard and Alvin and the Chipmunks. I just can't stand it.

Barbara Streisand - Yeah Babs is a Diva and Bab's is an Icon and Babs also doesn't no dynamics or subtlety.

Just my 2 cents.

Worf

Hyfi
03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Interesting thread. Well there's a couple I can't abide.

ABBA is one. Great for wedding showers and girls night out but like foot fungus its out there and just won't fickin go away.

The Bee Gee's - Even if I didn't mind the music their voices are beyond beliefl. A cross between chalk on a blackboard and Alvin and the Chipmunks. I just can't stand it.

Barbara Streisand - Yeah Babs is a Diva and Bab's is an Icon and Babs also doesn't no dynamics or subtlety.

Just my 2 cents.

Worf

Can't argue with anything above, add Celine Dion to the list too.