2 channel system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 channel system

cyto
03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I have an old Technics SA-390 receiver from the mid 1980's that still works. I was thinking of using to start a 2 channel system, using it as a preamp. The system will consist of the Technics, CD player, 2 speakers and 2 channel amp or mono blocks. I figure I can always replace the old Technics later if I need to.

Any thoughts on this?

bobsticks
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Vintage systems are fun but does the unit even have preamp outs?

luvtolisten
03-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, yes it would work. But remember any system is only as good as it's weakest link. If you were to go out and buy the latest and greatest mono blocks., you wouldn't be able to reap all the benefits you paid for out of them. But if you have a line on a good pair of used mono amps at a bargain price, then the Technics could be used until you upgraded further.
Not a slam against your Technics, just if it were me, I wouldn't lay out the cash for a pair mono blocks unless it was a killer deal. You may be better off with a good used preamp and amp for less $$ then you would pay for a pair of mono blocks. But that's just my opinion, just what I would do.

bobsticks
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Well, yes it would work. But remember any system is only as good as it's weakest link. If you were to go out and buy the latest and greatest mono blocks., you wouldn't be able to reap all the benefits you paid for out of them. But if you have a line on a good pair of used mono amps at a bargain price, then the Technics could be used until you upgraded further.
Not a slam against your Technics, just if it were me, I wouldn't lay out the cash for a pair mono blocks unless it was a killer deal. You may be better off with a good used preamp and amp for less $$ then you would pay for a pair of mono blocks. But that's just my opinion, just what I would do.

Yup yup, this man speaketh the truth. System matching (including the room!) is extremely important, lest one go off on an unnecessary spending spree...I'd look at stuff like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEF-Reference-Series-Model-103-2-Type-SP1121-/140525893239?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20b7fef677

http://cgi.ebay.com/California-Audio-Labs-CL-10-Audiophile-CD-Changer_W0QQitemZ220757948402QQcategoryZ14975QQcmd ZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%2 6its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3 D7947902624010136830

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-M-5160-Delta-Power-Amplifier-/250788383509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64270b15

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-B-3000-Power-Amplifier-120-WPC-/110664479893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c41df495

Mr Peabody
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Adcom preamps are a steal on the used market. The amps are as well, depends on where you want your budget. It's nothing to see a decent preamp/tuner from Adcome in the $150.00 range on Audiogon or CL. Would be a nice improvement over the Technics.

luvtolisten
03-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Adcom preamps are a steal on the used market. The amps are as well, depends on where you want your budget. It's nothing to see a decent preamp/tuner from Adcome in the $150.00 range on Audiogon or CL. Would be a nice improvement over the Technics.

A very good recommendation. I was able to pick up a GFP 555II (preamp) and a GFA 535 for less than $200 last August on ebay.

cyto
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Vintage was what I had in mind. I cannot get everything at once so I was going to keep an eye on CL and classifieds on forums like this one. I am a little leary of buying used electronics on Ebay, unless the seller is close enough for a local pick up.

Thanks for the ideas, as I find possibilities I will probably post for input.

harley .guy07
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I think the Technics will work for you to begin with but eventually you will have to upgrade preamps to see the full potential of a good outboard amplifier. I ran my receiver as my 2 channel pre for years and just recently got a dedicated preamp and the difference is night and day even though my receiver did a good job in the spot of preamp it could not deliver the realistic flow of music that my Nuforce can or give the width and depth of soundstage either. I would go with what you have for now but keep that in the back of your head for a must future upgrade especially if you are thinking mono block amps.

SlumpBuster
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
You should see the absolute crap that has been in my chain over the years while waiting for a better upgrade. e.g. a SounDesign record player, or a $1 Salvation Army receiver with only one channel working acting as a subwoofer preamp. The best part of vintage is the fun of it. So have fun and try not to worry too much. You'll know where the weaknesses are and get to them while you can.

pixelthis
03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I disagree with buying compromised monos.
BECAUSE sooner or later you will upgrade the TECHNICS, and hate the lower
priced mono's that you picked. So get good monos.
AS for Technics "sound q", state of the art? NOT EVEN WHEN NEW.
But quite serviceable Some guy bought a 600 series Pioneer from 75 to work.
SAPSUCKER is THIRTY FIVE years old!!! Sounds good as new, and everything
works.
THATS what the Japanese do, no comprehension of "planned obsolescence" at
all. They simply build stuff to last as long as possible.
I daresay your TECHNICS receiver will serve as well as my 28 yr old Technics
turntable. TECHNICS is Panasonic's high end brand, after all.:1:

Mr Peabody
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Several years ago Marantz had some monoblocks that were pretty good and reasonable new, so should be real affordable now. B&K is out of biz now but they also have some monoblocks cheap on the used market. I know you want vintage but I'd weigh any price for used amps against what you can get from Emotiva new. If you can make yourself deal with a remote :) the Adcom preamps as I mentioned are cheap and will sound better than most any vintage gear unless you shell out the bucks for a stellar Sansui model. If I was looking for vintage I would really look hard for a Harmon Kardon receiver, very nice in their day and always discrete circuitry, wide bandwidth & high current. Oddly enough you can find Luxman receivers cheap too, I think maybe most people don't know who they are compared to the mass market stuff. The vintage Luxman I have doesn't have big bass slam but it's better than average on detail and clarity.