Melbourne (Australia) - Hi-End Hi Fi store recommendations please ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne (Australia) - Hi-End Hi Fi store recommendations please ?

OzzieAudiophile
03-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm back after a coming out of hiberation lol. I visited Melbourne last year and had the time of my life. What I ran out of time was to locate any hi fi stores that stocked the hi end-ish equipment. I'm lookin around for a suitable pre amp and CD player that would do justice to my Xindak 8800 power amps :D

There has to be surely some shops somewhere in Melbourne that sell something at least more hi end than the Harvey Normans and the Myers.

Please help me out, thanks :D

Raj J
04-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm back after a coming out of hiberation lol. I visited Melbourne last year and had the time of my life. What I ran out of time was to locate any hi fi stores that stocked the hi end-ish equipment. I'm lookin around for a suitable pre amp and CD player that would do justice to my Xindak 8800 power amps :D

There has to be surely some shops somewhere in Melbourne that sell something at least more hi end than the Harvey Normans and the Myers.

Please help me out, thanks :D

Good day mate!
Yes, there certainly is a very good high-end store located in Melbourne;

Sound Reference:
38A Johnston Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065
Tel: (03) 9495 6500

Person to talk to is Damien Neilan, they know me personally since 2005. Talk to them regarding your requirements with a good honest intention, and you'll get good service! They stock all the great stuff, from Conrad Johnson, Quad, McCormack, Weiss, Naim, Vandersteen, Jas Audio etc, check out their website: www.caxtonaudio.com.au
It all depends on what your budget is, Damien will have it!

I bought my entire system from them, and have insured it for 60 grand!
I've got all conrad johnson amplification and Quad ESL 2905 electrostats, all cables & interconnects are DHLabs, power conditioners, and magnetic field stabs from Nordost, including all specialized power cords front to back are all from Sound Ref. Great store, great people and they KNOW their stuff!

You won't be able to just walk into their store though, you have to call prior to your visit and make an appointment. Do that first and you will be respected.

All the best and have a good one!
Cheers, Raj J

hifi-freak
04-15-2011, 12:01 PM
If you go to Melbourne (home of burson audio), you can audition Burson amps. They give you a 30 day trial period...a nice chance to try the PRE-160 (http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_pre160.htm) (preamp)

Just a thought, good luck. :)