Any y'all from down about... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any y'all from down about...

bobsticks
03-17-2011, 01:00 PM
...New Ohleans way? deano? I know you're somewhere down there...

Got my regular e-mail from Tipitina's and it appears we gots a classic night of raggae sonn ta be approachin'...The Wailers, baby...yeeah, those Wailers.

http://tipitinas.com/show.asp?id=201104050

If'n you go make sure to stop that purple truck outside an have the cochon de lait po-boy...oooohhheeee, damnation...some ire-ire old school Kingston Trench Town rawk, some suckling pig and a few hurricanes...Ah do declare...

http://www.thecajunfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cochon-de-lait-poboy1.jpg

dean_martin
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
...New Ohleans way? deano? I know you're somewhere down there...

Got my regular e-mail from Tipitina's and it appears we gots a classic night of raggae sonn ta be approachin'...The Wailers, baby...yeeah, those Wailers.

http://tipitinas.com/show.asp?id=201104050

If'n you go make sure to stop that purple truck outside an have the cochon de lait po-boy...oooohhheeee, damnation...some ire-ire old school Kingston Trench Town rawk, some suckling pig and a few hurricanes...Ah do declare...

http://www.thecajunfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cochon-de-lait-poboy1.jpg

Hey sticks. I'm about 3hrs away. Catching a show at Tipitina's is on my to-do list. The last show I caught in N'awlins was at the House of Blues. Not bad, but not quite authentic either. I likes me some pig.

ForeverAutumn
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I won't be in N'awrlins for the 5th, but I will be there in April.

JohnMichael
03-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I need to make a trip to New Orleans. I think the people, food and music would suit me. I do enjoy the cochon. From Le Cochon Dingue in Quebec City to Au Pied de Cochon in Paris it is time for cochon in N'awlins.

Swish
03-18-2011, 05:01 AM
...and his lovely wife Alison. Got a fantastic deal at the Intercontinental on St. Charles, just a couple blocks from Canal St., for $95 per night on Bid.com (thanks to Bill). We had a total blast but didn't get to Tips. Spend lots of time watching the local talent on Frenchmen St., and what a diverse assortment of music. FUN, FUN, FUN!

bobsticks
03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I need to make a trip to New Orleans. I think the people, food and music would suit me. I do enjoy the cochon. From Le Cochon Dingue in Quebec City to Au Pied de Cochon in Paris it is time for cochon in N'awlins.

Yes. Yes you do...easily Top 5 cities in the country and, given your criteria, a true contender for the top spot.
...and for cochon go to...well, Cochon...can't go wrong there, eh. PM me if a trip goes from theory to reality and I'll zip you over some of my experiences.

Swishy, did you make it to French 75? I'd imagine you'd enjoy it much.

"In America, there is New York, San Francisco and New Orleans and everywhere else is Cleveland."---Mark Twain

Swish
03-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Swishy, did you make it to French 75? I'd imagine you'd enjoy it much.

"In America, there is New York, San Francisco and New Orleans and everywhere else is Cleveland."---Mark Twain

...a very well respected Italian restaurant that I've been to with DLD back in '04, and we intended to go to Irene's on Sunday night but, alas, they were closed. It's supposed to be a great place. We popped into a bar because someone had to pee and, after checking the menu, decided to eat there. They made some great soft shell crab Po Boys and shrimp and craw-fish etouffe. Can't remember the name, then again, I can't remember a lot of crap.

Frenchmen Street is just east of the Quarter and you can drink cheaper and listen to bands with no cover charge (usually). There are some little dives with nasty, nasty bathrooms, but a few are larger and much more comfortable. It's way better than hanging out on Bourbon St., although it's fun to watch the drunken fools during the two St. Patty's Day parades we saw. Fun indeed.

ForeverAutumn
03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Still jealous. Just saying....

JohnMichael
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Still jealous. Just saying....

Let us plan an AR get together. Just saying....

MasterCylinder
03-19-2011, 04:05 AM
I won't be in N'awrlins for the 5th, but I will be there in April.

Long haul for FA.
I can drive there in 7 hours............and have done so a few times.
No place else in the world like n'awrlins....................thank God !

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
It's only a three hour flight...not so bad. It's the two hours before the flight at the airport, going through security and customs and all that crap that makes it a real pain.

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Let us plan an AR get together. Just saying....

I like that idea! :)

Swish
03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I like that idea! :)

How about Philly or NY or something? West Coast is not easy for us, but would consider it depending on the timing and all.

Poultrygeist
03-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Last time I was at Tipitina's I was given free admission to see Harry Connick who was playing there. Only problem was it turned out to be Harry Sr.and not Harry Jr. but we still enjoyed his big band. I believe Harry Sr. was the DA who procecuted the Jim Garrison case.

My trips to NOLA wouldn't be complete without a debris for b'fast, a muffaletta or red beans and rice for lunch and dinner at Brigtsen's on Dante St. I do love the oysters at Acme.

Is it true that the Louisiana State Zoo has a recipe under the name of each animal exhibit?

Swish
03-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Last time I was at Tipitina's I was given free admission to see Harry Connick who was playing there. Only problem was it turned out to be Harry Sr.and not Harry Jr. but we still enjoyed his big band. I believe Harry Sr. was the DA who procecuted the Jim Garrison case.

My trips to NOLA wouldn't be complete without a debris for b'fast, a muffaletta or red beans and rice for lunch and dinner at Brigtsen's on Dante St. I do love the oysters at Acme.

Is it true that the Louisiana State Zoo has a recipe under the name of each animal exhibit?

Please see your cardiologist ASAP!

JohnMichael
03-20-2011, 05:53 AM
How about Philly or NY or something? West Coast is not easy for us, but would consider it depending on the timing and all.

I love Philly and Manhattan. FA if you have not been to the Philidelphia Museum of Art you would love it and no tears from a clown.

bobsticks
03-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Y'all could kill two birds with one stone in Phili...the cochinillo asada at Amanda is as good as anything served in Nola...and the museum is first-class...add in a Phantoms game and maybe a night out with one of Swishy's many rawkstar pals and you've got the makings of a weekend to remember.

Swish
03-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Y'all could kill two birds with one stone in Phili...the cochinillo asada at Amanda is as good as anything served in Nola...and the museum is first-class...add in a Phantoms game and maybe a night out with one of Swishy's many rawkstar pals and you've got the makings of a weekend to remember.

Amanda is on Chestnut St., just a couple blocks from Penn's Landing. Old City is a blast in the summertime too, and there's always some good local talent playing at the Khyber on 2nd Street. Let's do it!

ForeverAutumn
03-20-2011, 08:10 AM
What is a cochinillo?

bobsticks
03-20-2011, 08:32 AM
In this case it's an entire suckling pig, served for four if I recall....mmmmm....

ForeverAutumn
03-20-2011, 09:36 AM
In this case it's an entire suckling pig, served for four if I recall....mmmmm....

EWWWWWW! I'm all in for the trip but not for the suckling pig. Hubby, however, would be totally game. I'll just order a salad...and sit at another table.

Swish
03-20-2011, 09:55 AM

...but you were right about the dish. I'll just stick with some small tapas plates. :smilewinkgrin:

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/cochinilloasado.htm

MasterCylinder
03-21-2011, 04:31 AM
I've never been to Philly but would love to.
I want to tour the city, Univ. of Penn, and go see Zandi's office (Moody's Analytics) in West Chester................and yes, check out the music.

Poultrygeist
03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
"There's New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans and everything else is like Cleveland"

------- Mark Twain