From Elys to 10x [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : From Elys to 10x

Mr Peabody
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm just sharing, after many years I finally replaced my Rega Elys cart with a Dynavector 10x5. I listened today for a couple hours, the 10x is supposed to sound even better after about 30 hours. The 10x is way quieter I am amazed at how quiet it is. So far the 10x is superior in all aspects. Of course, some of it could be the difference of MM versus entry MC.

02audionoob
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
It seems like I never see any strong reviews of the Rega cartridges. I have a nearly-unused Elys but it sits in its box because I like my Goldring cartridges far better.

frenchmon
03-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Peabody...Im happy to hear the report.

noob, I've listened to MrP's Rega Elys cart and from what I heard, the cart was flat with surface noise. I told Mr.P that my $100.00 2M Red sounded much better and was more exciting than the Rega Elys cart.

Mr Peabody
03-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Frenchmon, It will be interesting to see if you like the 10x, I find it balanced with an excellent midrange but it's not overly emphasized on the top end. When you come over next you'll have to bring the same LP as before. It won't be apples to apples but at least you will get another chance to hear a 10x to give you more of an idea whether you want to try one or go with the Black.

frenchmon
03-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Frenchmon, It will be interesting to see if you like the 10x, I find it balanced with an excellent midrange but it's not overly emphasized on the top end. When you come over next you'll have to bring the same LP as before. It won't be apples to apples but at least you will get another chance to hear a 10x to give you more of an idea whether you want to try one or go with the Black.

Sounds good P.

But I have a better idea...how about I just bring the 10x5 home with me so I can compare it to the Red??? :yesnod:

frenchmon
03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Peabody...from looking at the stats of both carts over at Vinylengine it would seem the Black would be a more lively cart. But the truth is in the hearing.

Mr Peabody
03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Sounds good P.

But I have a better idea...how about I just bring the 10x5 home with me so I can compare it to the Red??? :yesnod:

Ha! good try.

As far as specs I was surprised to see the frequency given as 20-20k on the 10x, or really all of the Dynavector carts in the little brochure I have. I'm used to seeing carts give wider response like 5-40k etc.

jrhymeammo
03-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Congrats Mr. P.

I was wondering when you are goin got get a cart outside of MM.
When I heard the 10x5 it was mated with a Trichord and thought it was a great sounding cartridge.

How did you setup the cart?

JRA

Mr Peabody
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
The first time I heard a 10x it was on a Haunz table and the combo was impressive. The guys from the stereo shop mounted the cart. I know they added a spacer to give my arm more height as the 10x is larger than the Elys. He had a test LP to check things, I suspect he probably just followed recommended weight etc.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't go back the 10x does too much better but the Elys had a warmth or musical factor I miss a bit.

frenchmon
03-21-2011, 08:18 AM
The first time I heard a 10x it was on a Haunz table and the combo was impressive. The guys from the stereo shop mounted the cart. I know they added a spacer to give my arm more height as the 10x is larger than the Elys. He had a test LP to check things, I suspect he probably just followed recommended weight etc.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't go back the 10x does too much better but the Elys had a warmth or musical factor I miss a bit.

Are you serious about the Elys??

jrhymeammo
03-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm suprised to hear this as well.
The Elys must be some cartridge.
As others have stated, I've never heard of a single praise of the Rega carts, so I'm suprised to read this.

Mr Peabody
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
The Elys sold for some where between $300 to $400.00 and was my first "high end" cart which I had for years. So the change may take some getting used to. This may not make sense but it's not the actual sound as much as the feel of the presentation. The Elys doesn't have the detail but it is a warmer cart. Also, I don't have the 30 hours recommended for break in yet. The 10x sounds great on Jazz though, Scott Hamilton's sax was incredible.

frenchmon
03-22-2011, 02:17 AM
The Elys sold for some where between $300 to $400.00 and was my first "high end" cart which I had for years. So the change may take some getting used to. This may not make sense but it's not the actual sound as much as the feel of the presentation. The Elys doesn't have the detail but it is a warmer cart. Also, I don't have the 30 hours recommended for break in yet. The 10x sounds great on Jazz though, Scott Hamilton's sax was incredible.

Well if you like it thats what counts, and not what I think about it.

Mr Peabody
03-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Listened to the TT a bit last night. The 10x seems to shine on Jazz and, of course, good recordings. I played my Scott Hamilton LP last, the drummer did some great brush work and the cart really let it happen, the overall presentation had a intimate in the room feel, I really enjoyed that LP. I played a Moon Martin track I played recently with the Elys and that reaffirmed the 10x superiority if I had doubts. A real difference was heard on a mono Al Hurt LP, the 10x really allowed the background instruments to shine through, most of which were lost or subtle on the Elys.

frenchmon
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Listened to the TT a bit last night. The 10x seems to shine on Jazz and, of course, good recordings. I played my Scott Hamilton LP last, the drummer did some great brush work and the cart really let it happen, the overall presentation had a intimate in the room feel, I really enjoyed that LP. I played a Moon Martin track I played recently with the Elys and that reaffirmed the 10x superiority if I had doubts. A real difference was heard on a mono Al Hurt LP, the 10x really allowed the background instruments to shine through, most of which were lost or subtle on the Elys.

Yeah...just continue to let it play and give it a while to break in and settle down a bit....I've heard nothing but good things about that Cart. I cant imagine the Elys doing anything better than the 10x, but you gotta play it. If you dont have the time to break it in, Ican do that for ya!:6:

Mr Peabody
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Thinkking to himself, "that Frenchmon, he's such a nice guy, always willing to step in and help".

frenchmon
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Thinkking to himself, "that Frenchmon, he's such a nice guy, always willing to step in and help".

lol...you know me...:yesnod: :devil: