Does TV Broadcast 5.1 Surround Sound? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does TV Broadcast 5.1 Surround Sound?

hershon
04-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if network TV shows or Cable TV shows are broadcast in 5.1 surround sound? Or are just certain TV shows broadcast in surround sound? What about movies on TV? One thing I noticed is the sound on commercials on my home theater sound a 1000 times better than regulat TV shows and/or movies. Is there any special listing on TV guide if it is broadcast in surround sound?

wasch_24
04-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Does anyone know if network TV shows or Cable TV shows are broadcast in 5.1 surround sound? Or are just certain TV shows broadcast in surround sound? What about movies on TV? One thing I noticed is the sound on commercials on my home theater sound a 1000 times better than regulat TV shows and/or movies. Is there any special listing on TV guide if it is broadcast in surround sound?
Network TV stations usually don't broadcast in 5.1. Although, when they do they make a big hoopla about it. I don't read the TV Guide but I would imagine that they would mention it there as well. As far as the commercials sounding better some times I too have noticed that. It's probably just a sign of a really good advertising company. When you would normally not pay attention you suddenly snap to attention when the sound quality suddenly increases.

omikey
04-12-2004, 05:32 AM
I hear that difference in my HT too !

I wonder if you also see any difference in video quality of the commercials as compared to the tv program you're watching ?

I do, at times, but often wonder about the tricks the mind can play :-)

paul_pci
04-12-2004, 12:16 PM

I use a digital audio connection on my Direct TV receiver and I giet 5.1 only with some moveis (mostly newer ones, but not always) and only on the premium movie channels. When using the digital connection with Direct TV there is a dolby digital logo on their on-screen guide. A friend of mine has digital cable and while some programs are in dolby digital, I could not ascertain anything which indicated such.

jackz4000
04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
commercial are usually mixed "hot". Especially ones for the national (expensive) feed. For those 30 seconds great attention is given to the sound and the big accounts want the best sound for their 30 second spot...money is not a big consideration when you consider that millions will be spent to broadcast the spot. Sound on commercials can rival the very best high end movies.

Dale M
04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Hello
I have digital TV in Calgary Alberta Canada not sure where you are from. but
with the cable companys online TV guide anything that is in broadcast in 5.1 is
shown in the guide as being so.:)

Dale M

uncooked
04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
regular cable isnt, becuase you run the coax into your tv and then from the outputs you only run a left and right to your amp. so theres only a stereo signal. your tv would have to have optical outputs on it or digital coax. and hardly any do. you need digital cable and a box to split the video and digital sound

gonefishin
04-12-2004, 08:27 PM
I've got an HD cable box using a toslink digital out for sound...going to my processor to be decoded. On some of the major network shows...they do broadcast a HD and DD 5.1 signal. If all I had was a regular cable box or only analog outputs to my receiver...the best processing I could get would be pro logic.

Does anyone else wish they had a -6db button on the remote? for when commercials come on...my gosh! They really should do something about how loud they are! The commercials are recorded at the very loudest setting they are allowed. No not all commercials...but a good number of them. They're loud...and they certainly get your attention!

It also seems like some of the commercials may be recorded out of phase...to give you a feeling (or sense) that the sounds are coming from outside of your Tv...detached a bit from the speakers. While this can be neat...I'd like to have the sound tied to the screen rather than floating outside of the speakers. Perhaps they could use some mix of in phase/out of phase...but it's only movies...not like it's music or anything ;)

see ya>>>>>>>>>>

Geoffcin
04-13-2004, 08:56 AM

If you want true Dolby Digital 5.1 sound your going to have to have either a cable, or sattilite reciever with DD decoding capabilities. Most newer boxes do have this, and you will see an output marked "digital audio out". Hook this into your receivers digital audio input, and if the broadcast is in DD, you will be able to decode it. Most of the broadcasts from non-premium channels are NOT DD, but nearly all of the programs on the movie, and HD channels are.