Fisher X-100-C [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fisher X-100-C

thekid
03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
As mentioned in another thread I picked up my Fisher X-100-C from the shop today. They cleaned it up replaced a few switches and repaired the tube sockets. The bill was a bit over what it costs to take to the family to a dinner and a movie.

Got it home and started to agonize over how I was going to set this up. When I finally decided that before I even put it in place I should at least try it out. I hooked it up to the Heresy II's and the Oppo 970 and got started.

The tech said when I picked up today that this was a good amp which I took as a good sign given the gear that goes through that shop. After a solid hour of listening to "Blonde on Blonde" and "Around Midnight" I am very very impressed with what this little machine can deliver. Hearing Dylan my son came out of his room and when he got in front he pulled up a chair and began to listen-something he has never done before when I am trying out gear. We both could not believe how this amp lays out the entire sound stage. The Adcom gear was the first time I got the sense of where the instruments were laid out in the room and really had separation. The Fisher just takes that experience to a slightly higher level. Vocals are just really centered,accurate and detailed. This also might be helped by the Oppo which is just an outstanding source for playing CD's and SACD's. The Heresy's are a different speaker on tubes and I think the Fisher really fills out the bass much better than the Adcom does with these speakers. Now I am not trying to ignite a thread war about tube vs solid state but I will say I now understand why there is a debate. I did not ask if they tested the tubes but I am sure if any were on the their last leg the shop would have recommended replacement. Not sure how many hours I can expect to get out of them but based on my son's comment "I want to play everything on this" it won't take long before I need a new set of tubes.

dakatabg
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Put the Adcom on the site and enjoy the fisher! How does it compare with the dynaco amp you have?

thekid
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Put the Adcom on the site and enjoy the fisher! How does it compare with the dynaco amp you have?

Oh I don't think the Adcom gear is going anywhere soon. I will say the Kenwood Basic gear maybe going at some point because I do not see the need for another system with separates.

The Dynaco I have is solid state not tubed so there really is not a comparison. The Dynaco also has lost a channel so I have not heard it as should be but I doubt I would find it more favorable than the Adcom or the Fisher. I will probably get that or the Marantz 2245 fixed up next though I don't really have the need for either one of them at the moment.

thekid
03-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Figured out where to put it so I thought I'd add one more pic. I am going to run it with the Oppo until I find a stand alone SACD player to my liking. Also added the Nakimichi 480 cassette deck. I figure at this point I will use the SX-850/KEF combo above the Fisher for radio in that room since I don't want to add hours on the tubes.

dakatabg
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
That is very neat and well organized.

You even got stands for the speakers.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JoeE SP9
03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
It's worth whatever it cost to get that running, That's a real honey of an amp.

A Fisher KX-90 (kit) integrated was the first piece of gear I ever (1967) bought. When i switched to solid state it was years before a was able to bring back the "magic". Switching to a Dyna PAS-3 and MK-III's in 1971 brought back the "magic". since then a tube preamp has been my choice. I do however keep a Hafler DH-110 as a spare/backup. I still have the MK-III's although they are completely modified and in different chassis'.