Setup help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Setup help

Jimmy B
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey there folks I am trying to setup my Sisters dvd player through her Onkyo HT S7100 receiver with HDMI. I have the DVD player hooked up through the default input. When I switch to the DVD selector on the receiver I get no video signal to the tv. Cable/ Satellite is working fine. any help would be appreciated.
Jimmy B:cryin:

02audionoob
03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
There's probably a setting somewhere so you can determine which signal goes to the "DVD" selection...HDMI, component, composite, or whichever.

Looks like page 43 of the manual.

Jimmy B
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks 02noob I will give that a shot in a bit.
Jimmy B

Jimmy B
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks 02noob I will give that a shot in a bit.
Jimmy B

Jimmy B
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Gave it a shot this AM had nothing, no sat/cable. Got that working again. Still no DVD still arguing with Sister. She has tv through sound system no dvd, I tried at least I did that.

pixelthis
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
So "assigning" the input to the DVD did not help?
ONE last thing, its like scramming the warp core, but modern receivers have a
reset protocol.
Hit that sucker and everything clears back to factory setting.
Then, you start over.
Kinda like what happened during the depression, only with snacks.:1:

Nasir
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I too have had a quick look at the manual, and it seems that the HDMI inputs have to be assigned as described on page 43.
Also, just make sure that the DVD works in another system using the same HDMI cable.
I presume the RCA cable works, and that the video is Standard Definition. You may want to try assigning input 3 or 4 as DVD input and see if you get results. If so then maybe the 1st input is defective. You can check for this by assigning the Cable/satellite to this input and that would tell you if the 1st input is faulty or not. A lot of work, but thats what this hobby is about...

pixelthis
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
ALSO...
Check the DVD players settings. If it has HDMI its probably an upconverter, might be sending
a format your receiver can't handle.
ALSO, if it wont play through the DVD in, try another.:1:

Jimmy B
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
When I went to my Sister's tonight she has unhooked the sound system, because she had to reset her dish box to get it to work. She has the tv going from dish box straight, it works, DVD straight to tv works. There is something with the reciever and she wants to heave the whole thing,LOL. She can heave it my way. My GF has a denon system but no room:-(
Thanks for all of the replies, Jimmy B

pixelthis
03-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I won't buy another receiver for under a grand.
Setting up my friends receiver worked okay, but there are too many compromises in cheaper
receivers.
My receiver before last was 1200, my current one around a grand, both were easy to
set up and operate.
You get what you pay for, in other words.:1: