New setup/ upgrades [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New setup/ upgrades

ryanianmckinnon
03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
hello everybody, its been a while since i have posted anything on here and now that im settled into my new place i think its time to post something. This is some pictures of the new setup/ upgrades to my system. The last time i posted pictures was a couple of months ago where i was in a very small room, the room i am in now is 14 feet long and 10 and a half feet wide with a angled ceiling and the highest point being where my stereo is positioned. Please leave some feedback as to things i could possibly change or if u like it. Thanks everybody.

List of gear:

Rotel RA 1062
Project Debut 3
Monster power 2450
Denon dvd 2930ci
17 inch macbook pro
Paradigm Monitor 9 v.6

JoeE SP9
03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
That looks very nice. A large throw rug will make a large difference. Hard wood floors and lots of bare walls make speakers sound harsh and shrill with lots of slap echo.

ryanianmckinnon
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks a lot, yeah im thinking about that getting something that is 2 feet wide coming out from the wall then like 8 feet wide maybe, im also going to try and put some more acoustic stuff on the wall to try and make it sound a little better. The way it is set up now sounds pretty good actually when i play vinyl there is lots of detail that i didnt hear before.

LeRoy
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Like the looks but as Joe suggested a throw rug on the floor is a good idea. If not a throw rug then maybe a 3 ft square rug might enhance the bass some. What brand of gear is in the pic?

JohnMichael
03-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks very nice, great job putting it together. You should have many hours of audio enjoyment out of your system. I agree with the area rug suggestions. Nice system.

ryanianmckinnon
03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Le Roy:
Its nice but the bass response could be a little better, a rug would be good or even two smaller rugs would work. The list of whats in the system is at the top of the picture sorry i might of put it in there after you replyed.

JohnMichael:

Thanks i have put alot of money into it and its not a bad system for being only 19. I love just relaxing on my bed and listening to some vinyl, it makes me very relaxed.For the rugs i might check out a carpet place and see if i can get some cheap old carpet that they dont want or i think i have some spare carpet in my garage.

thekid
03-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Beats any system I had at 19 or even 29....... :D
Very nice set-up!
Congratulations!

pixelthis
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Very nice. and neat, wires well dressed. YOU WOULD BE SURPRIZED at how important "neat" is. A TWO CHANNEL system is a lot easier to wrangle.
Congrats, I bet it sounds great.:1:

ryanianmckinnon
03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
the kid:

Thanks a lot i have put lots of effort and money into this system, I love it when my dads friends come over and say WOW nice system.

pixelthis:

Thanks, the one thing i hate seeing in systems is wires everywhere it doesnt look good thats why i try and keep mine clean, it could be a little better but im happy with it the way it is for now. It definitely sounds great, when i put on my favourite song by led zeppelin or one of, no quarter on vinyl and just let it play, its the best feeling ever i cant describe it and when i close my eyes i feel like im actually there.

pixelthis
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
There is nothing quite an afternoon listening to your gear.
A lot of peeps don't get that their system is a part of their life, and it needs to reflect that.
You already realize what took years for me, namely that a system that looks like
a soviet sattelite crashed in your living room detracts from the experience.
Again, congrats.:1:

bobsticks
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Wow.

I wish I'd had a system like that at 19 years old.

Like others I'd note that it's quite organized...a real pleasure to look at. Also, I'd say you did a comendable job with working within your budget and finding some system synergy. I've heard every piece of equipment in your kit and have no problem believing that it sounds first-rate. Nice work and thanks for sharing your audio journey with us...

---sticks

ryanianmckinnon
03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
pixelthis:

Yeah i love my system but I don't base my life around it, I love music but other things are more important. But thanks a lot :)

bobsticks:

Thanks ive worked really hard for it and when i sit down and enjoy it i feel like its hard earned, Yeah i hate having stuff everywhere and look like crap i tried to at least, it all sounds great together, no problem i enjoy sharing what i love with everybody else :)

Update I put some matts under the speakers and the bass improved more than i thought. here is a picture of it now.

the hand of boredom
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Can't put a price on neatly connected wiring.

As I've been getting used to my system over the past three years, I've found the two things that MOST effect any sound are speaker placement and room treatments. No matter how good the system every sounded at one point it was got better more absorbers/diffusors were added.

I've recently just moved into a bigger condo from a small apartment. In the apartment the stereo was in an oddly-shaped and smallish 10x12 room with 9ft ceilings. Music sound good with obvious limitations of poor speaker placement, distorted bass, small soundstage and width.

In the bigger 11x19 room with 14ft ceilings there is improved dynamics, openness, width and the whole lot. Get out your measuring tape and make sure those speakers are the same relative distance to each other from the back and side walls.

Cheers,

THOB

ryanianmckinnon
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Nope it looks a lot nicer when it looks clean, and i have done that many times, im ocd about that stuff. its pretty much perfect where it is, soon i might get some more acoustic items but im not sure yet.

02audionoob
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
What kind of mats did you put under the speakers? What kind of feet do the speakers have?

ryanianmckinnon
03-21-2011, 11:49 PM
the matts i put under it are like front door matt's kind of, they are carpeted on top but have a no slip surface on the bottom which is nice so they dont move.

For the bottoms of the speakers i have the spikes in with the rubber feet on them as i dont want the spikes going through the matts and wrecking the wood floor.