Dodos - Too Much Drumming? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dodos - Too Much Drumming?

Davey
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Anyone listened to the new Dodos - No Color yet? Kind of a return to the sound of Visiter, one that some of us really liked. But man, that drummer (and his tools) is a busy guy! Got some Neko Case in the background on a few tracks too, though you may not notice all that much since the percussion really never lets up enough to hear anything else :)

Wish they had turned it down a couple notches and let some of that percussion dynamics through, though. Would've added another dimension to the band, something you could listen to for the thrill of the sound, like bones dancing in your head, and not just the music. Gets pretty loud and congested when they crank it up. Sometimes ...just sounds like too much of that sound for me. I think some other bands like Spoon (or reaching back to what I hear as the some of Dodos' inspiration on this one, XTC) handle the percussion heavy sound better.

Anyway, might not be quite out yet, but samples at some of the usual places (http://welikeitlossless.blogspot.com/2011/03/dodos-no-color.html). I like it, but can't shake the feeling (at least sometimes) that the percussion is a gimmick to hide the missing songs ...

Troy
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I listened to one song- Black Night. Yes the drumming is ridiculous and does not fit the rest of the song.

This band is so obscure it's not even listed at AMG.

Davey
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
This band is so obscure it's not even listed at AMG.
Actually they aren't really that obscure, probably just a AMG bug, have to enter "the dodos" ...

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-dodos-p981749

Jim Clark
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
yeah, not too obscure, I picked up the rec. at Best Buy and yes I like it. Overall I think the drumming is what sets them apart from everyone else so I'm cool with it. It's pretty much their thing, isn't it?

No the album isn't nearly as strong as Visiter but I wouldn't necessarily blame the drumming for that : ) They are coming to a smaller venue in KC with in the next month or two and I'm still kind of on fence for this show.

Haven't listened to either one too much lately, I've been on a Boxer Rebellion (The Cold Still) kick and of course Junip (Fields) still completely rules : )

jc