Question For Mr. Peabody [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question For Mr. Peabody

Jack in Wilmington
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey Mr. P
I've got my eye on what appears to be a really nice pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II. I was wondering if you've heard them and how they compare to your t2.5's. The seller is local, about 5 minutes from my house so I was going to take a ride over and give them a listen on Friday night. The seller was including shipping and no paypal fees, so I figure I can ask him to knock another $200 off since I'll be saving them the fees and shipping not to mention the hastle of packing them up.

Also how do you think my Jolida will drive them? I know she doesn't have the power of your CJ gear. But I never play my gear loud. Thanks

Anybody else with Dynaudio experience feel free to chime in. Please.

devuonoste
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
You could ask if the seller would allow you to bring over your Jolida so you can hook it up to the speakers to see if the combo would be something you like.

I'm sure others will chime in with comparisons between the Dynaudios but I think you have a great opportunity to hear for yourself if the combo will work for you. I know there's other variables like source, cables and room differences but hooking up your Jolida at the sellers place will give you a really good idea of how the combo will sound.

Another option, which might be a long shot, would be to see if the seller would be willing to let you audition the speakers at your place. Maybe something you can do together and the seller may help so he can ensure his gear is treated the way he wants and he may make a sale out of it. Obviously this would be the best way to tell if the speakers would work for you but not sure the seller would go for that, but you never know.

Good luck and hope you get to enjoy the audition.

jrhymeammo
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
You could ask if the seller would allow you to bring over your Jolida so you can hook it up to the speakers to see if the combo would be something you like.

I'm sure others will chime in with comparisons between the Dynaudios but I think you have a great opportunity to hear for yourself if the combo will work for you. I know there's other variables like source, cables and room differences but hooking up your Jolida at the sellers place will give you a really good idea of how the combo will sound.

Another option, which might be a long shot, would be to see if the seller would be willing to let you audition the speakers at your place. Maybe something you can do together and the seller may help so he can ensure his gear is treated the way he wants and he may make a sale out of it. Obviously this would be the best way to tell if the speakers would work for you but not sure the seller would go for that, but you never know.

Good luck and hope you get to enjoy the audition.

I think devuonoste provided great advise.
We love it when others bring different gear.
Everyone I've met thru Audiogon are great people.
I have yet to meet a person who doesn't love to chat and listen to music & gear.

JRA

Mr Peabody
03-09-2011, 09:31 PM
The 1.8's are great speakers, they are rear ported where the t2.5 is front ported so the 1.8 has a thicker bass sound. The t2.5 gives more refinement and may even be easier to drive. I really have not had experience with Jolida to know how strong the amps are but with 60 watts it should drive the 1.8's fine, especially since you mentioned you don't listen loud, like I do occasionally :). I think you will be impressed.

Mr Peabody
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
If the 1.8's aren't the sound you like you should consider bringing in a set of Zu Audio Omen for a listen. The bass response will fall short of Dyn's but most brands do :) The Omen will be more punchy, the mids and highs more open and lively, the highs are vivid but I don't find them too much so.

Jack in Wilmington
03-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys, great advice. I was going to bring some of my own music, but bringing the amp is even a better idea. You're right JRA, it's great to meet people who share the love of gear and music.

Jack in Wilmington
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I made arrangements to go down and check out the 1.8's on Friday night. He told me to bring along my amp and some CD's. He's not set up for vinyl so it's the CD route. I'm bringing along cash also. I think I'm going to like them. Just a gut feeling.

Mr Peabody
03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Be sure to give us a report. How much is he asking for the 1.8's?

Jack in Wilmington
03-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Be sure to give us a report. How much is he asking for the 1.8's?

When he first listed them he was asking $1900, that was about a month ago. I had been watching with casual interest. Then he dropped the price to $1800 after a couple of weeks. Then I checked on Monday and he had knocked off another $100. When I told him I was interested and was local, he said he would lower them to $1600 because he didn't have to ship them. He's a second year law student at a local college. He says they're in perfect condition. I hope they are.

Mr Peabody
03-11-2011, 06:00 AM
That seems like a decent price when you factor in getting to hear them and inspect them before buying. They were $3500.00 new. I can't remember if the price dropped when Dyn squeezed in the t2.5. I believe they have sold for cheaper on the Audiogon but as mentioned circumstances and condition......

Did he mention what he was using for a system? I can't wait to hear your impression.

Jack in Wilmington
03-11-2011, 09:34 AM
He said they've always been driven by a Krell integrated. He's using his computer as a source feeding the signal into a DAC. I burned a disc of some of my test tracks and he said he would upload it onto the computer and convert it to hi-res. I've always loved the sound of the Dyns. When I bought my Ushers, I was very impressed with the Focus 140's also. Heard the Contour 1.4's at the time, but they were out of my price range. I'm excited.

JoeE SP9
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
What's the point of converting to high res? You can't get more out than you put in. I can understand recording vinyl at 24/96. CD's are already 16/44 rersampling them to 24/96 can't make them any better.

It might be worth it resampling HDCD's. I've never tried it. Maybe I'll give it a try. My music server PC decodes them.

BTW: The newer versions of Media Player properly decode HDCD's

Jack in Wilmington
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Well guys, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The speakers were everything I had hoped they would be. The only problem was that the owner lives in a hi-rise apartment building in the city, so we had to watch the volume. These babies look like brand new. Even the grills, which are usually the first thing to show wear.

When we got done, what was a very abreviated listening session, I had decided. But because of time constraints we agreed to finish our transaction on Monday. He was in a hurry to get home to his parents in Philadelphia for the weekend. He said it would take a little time to get the boxes from his storage facility and pack the speakers properly. Probably for the best. I needed the time to rearrange things in the audio/video room. Now I'll have two sets of speakers plus a subwoofer to try and fit on the front wall.

I stopped at the local HiFi shop on the way home to talk to them about a new TV for the wifey. I was telling them about the speakers and they were trying to get me to stop there on the way home Monday so they could hear the Dyns. I was tempted. They had just picked up Audio Research and it would have been fun to hear them through that gear. Fun and dangerous I'm afraid. I think that deserves more then a Monday evening also. Some stones are better left unturned.

Mr Peabody
03-13-2011, 07:40 PM
How did your amp do with the 1.8's? Did you get to hear his Krell with 1.8's? Krell & Dynaudio make a great combo.

Jack in Wilmington
03-14-2011, 02:17 AM
He had his amp connected to the 1.8's when I got there. It was the Krell S-300i. It sounded very nice. But of course we had to watch the volume. He's looking for a nice pair of bookshelf speakers, possibly the S1.4's

He wants to come to my house to hear my Ushers. Plus he wants to really hear the 1.8's without neighbors.

Mr Peabody
03-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Sounds like the 1.8's may not even be broke in good. He should look for a used
Special 25 or 1.3se. He will probably regret his decision to sell. Your Jolida sounded pretty good with the 1.8's? I know you will tell more when you get them in your house.

frenchmon
03-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Jack....congrats. How do the Ushers and the Dyns compair?

Jack in Wilmington
03-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Sounds like the 1.8's may not even be broke in good. He should look for a used
Special 25 or 1.3se. He will probably regret his decision to sell. Your Jolida sounded pretty good with the 1.8's? I know you will tell more when you get them in your house.

He got the 1.8's when he was in college. He said he really doesn't want to sell, but until his living arrangments change it is the best thing to do. He said it's like having a big dog in an apartment and no place to run. When he finishes law school he be able to get what he wants.

Hyfi
03-14-2011, 10:19 AM
He got the 1.8's when he was in college. He said he really doesn't want to sell, but until his living arrangments change it is the best thing to do. He said it's like having a big dog in an apartment and no place to run. When he finishes law school he be able to get what he wants.

Congrats Jack. They should only sound better when played louder.

Jack in Wilmington
03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Jack....congrats. How do the Ushers and the Dyns compair?
Hi Frenchie, thanks. Just the initial impressions are a definite increase in the lower octaves.It's something that I've never experienced at home, even though it was not my home. Even piano had a body that sounded like I was in the room with the band. Not to say that my Ushers didn't do piano well, this was just different. This appears to be a good low volume speaker, you don't loose much detail.