10 Great Songs George Thorogood [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Great Songs George Thorogood

Robert-The-Rambler
03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I was at Bestbuy the other day and I came across this CD for just $5.99. I was just discussing with a coworker of mine how much I loved George Thorogood and hadn't bought any of his music just yet. (A Crime) On my way back from the store I put the CD in my car and I discovered what has become one of my favorite songs ever. The last song on the disc is called Get a Haircut. The lyrics are just friggin hilarious and paints such a funny picture of what life was like before he made it big. "They said my friends were just an unruly mob. I should get a haircut and get a real job." "Clean your act up and don't be a slob." "They took one look at me and said, Oh My God."

The funny thing is at the time I really needed a haircut and I sure as hell also need a real job.

The compilation also includes most of the best songs I could remember from Thorogood including studio versions of Bad To The Bone, I Drink Alone, and extremely energetic Live performances of Who Do You Love?, Move It On Over, and One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer. How the hell did I not have his music already? It is nothing short of awesome.

The mix is loud and clear like most modern remixes. It might be described as overly compressed to some but the system I'm listening to with two DCM KX6 Series 2 speakers driven by a Gemini XG 3001 that is rated at 200 watts RMS at a kilohertz and backed up with a powered Sony Dual 10" sub rated at 200 watts RMS. Its connected to my PC that has a Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Audio set to upsample to 24 bit 96khz. Anyhow from 4 or 5 feet away in my comfy PC chair it sounds great!!! And yes I am a nerd.

dingus
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
my favorite GT song is Talk Too Much, but i think he was at his best live. i'll have to pick this one up, thanks for the heads up.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM
my favorite GT song is Talk Too Much, but i think he was at his best live. i'll have to pick this one up, thanks for the heads up.

Once I listened I knew he was the real deal. When live is as good if not better than the studio then you know the performer is for real. Thanks for responding to my post.

rakeford
03-10-2011, 05:06 AM
I'm into GT. The great thing about living in college dorms is exposure to the variety of people, arts, and styles. One of my roommates played guitar and was into GT. I bootlegged one of his GT LPs onto cassette.

I now have many GT CDs, including some of his newer releases, One of my favs is "Haircut", the whole album.

3LB
03-10-2011, 01:58 PM
There was a Canadian radio station back when that used play what they'd call 'twisted tunes' - one of them was a send-up of Get A Real Job, where instead of "Get a haircut and get real job" the song went, "Take some lessons and learn a new chord." Another time they did this bit where George was 'cuttin heads' with The Edge from U2, where they repeat the same riffs over and over...rather funny. I miss that station.