Favorite John Williams Score [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite John Williams Score

Woochifer
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Surprised that we've never had a poll dedicated to arguably the greatest of the modern movie composers! I focused primarily on his most well known movies, but I could easily fill out another poll with some other great ones like the ones below:

Born On The Fourth of July
JFK
Hook
Far and Away
Home Alone
Saving Private Ryan
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can (one of my personal favorites)
or any of the numerous sequels

And let's not forget the Olympic themes he composed for the 1984, 1996, and 2002 games, each of which are incredible works.

eisforelectronic
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Always loved John Williams, but I must admit I've been leaning towards Hans Zimmer a lot lately.

Woochifer
03-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Here's the one I voted for ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e9vrfEoc8_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aside from the rousing march that makes up the main theme, the score for Superman had so many other evocative moments like the Leaving Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYj8nChItw) and Can You Read My Mind? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvd-BojBum4&feature=related) themes. This came right on the heels of Star Wars and Close Encounters, and right before Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and capped off by ET.

Woochifer
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Always loved John Williams, but I must admit I've been leaning towards Hans Zimmer a lot lately.

Yeah, Zimmer's always been more of a mixed bag for me. Even some of his early work like Backdraft I thought was brilliant, but he'll also turn in some atrocious and garish work like Gladiator and Pearl Harbor. I will say though that I was absolutely floored by the brilliantly minimalist approach that he took with Batman Begins.

With Williams, he's at the tail end of his career, and it just amazed me to go back through the soundtracks he's done. Almost impossible to pick out 10 for the poll because he has so many movie scores that rank among the best of all time. In a way he reintroduced Hollywood to the symphonic soundtrack with Star Wars, and a lot of composers have followed his lead.

Feanor
03-08-2011, 04:55 AM
As I hear, John Williams has been nominated for more Academy Awards than any other person in any category -- actor, director, whatever.

I voted for Star Wars simply because it's the first one the comes to mind, but he has many great scores and I'm not saying that Star Wars is necessarily his best.

Funny thing is I've never really gotten tired of the Star Wars music while, on the other hand, Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings music has become very cloying for me.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Why the hell would you think Steven Spielberg would use him for every movie he ever does?

BTW, interesting as it may be but my favorite score is not done by John Williams. It is the Forest Gump suite from Alan Silvestri but my favorite movie composer is by far John Williams. Listening to the 2 CD collection John Williams The Greatest Hits 1969 - 1999.

That collection alone showcases a tone of movie scores.

Basically in order of appearance

Disc 1

Star Wars
ET
Superman
Indiana Jones And The Temple of Doom
Sugarland Express
Jaws
Return of the Jedi
The Reviers
The Empire Strikes Back
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
Empire of the Sun(Christian Bales First Movie)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Disc 2

Saving Private Ryan
Jurassic Park
Schindlers List
Hook
Seven Years In Tibet
JFK
Stepmom
Home Alone
Rosewood
Far and Away
Born on the Fourth of July
Star Wars Episode I

The two Olympic Themes are also included called Buglers Dream and Summon The Heroes. Here is a link to the CD at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Williams-Greatest-Hits-1969/dp/B00002MZ4V/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299601188&sr=1-1

E-Stat
03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I focused primarily on his most well known movies, but I could easily fill out another poll with some other great ones like the ones below:
You left out my favorite: Memoirs of a Geisha featuring masters Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman.

rw

bobsticks
03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I went with Jaws. I recognize the accomplishments within all of them but that one just does it for me. As opposed to other films in which the natural ebb and flow of orchestrated music is allowed for by diversity, the soundtrack to Jaws remains almost "tense" in totality...not an easy trick to pull off for the duration of a film without overtaxing the listener. And, c'mon, those two-note passages are iconic.

I felt, for that era, that Williams accomplished something equally as substantial with that particular soundtrack as did László Kovács with the cinematography for Close Encounters.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I went with Jaws. I recognize the accomplishments within all of them but that one just does it for me. As opposed to other films in which the natural ebb and flow of orchestrated music is allowed for by diversity, the soundtrack to Jaws remains almost "tense" in totality...not an easy trick to pull off for the duration of a film without overtaxing the listener. And, c'mon, those two-note passages are iconic.

I felt, for that era, that Williams accomplished something equally as substantial with that particular soundtrack as did László Kovács with the cinematography for Close Encounters.

But your argument is a good one. How can you not think of the score when you think of Jaws bringing the shark to life whether you see the shark or not. That is why it is so hard to choose a favorite. Its like the Halloween theme so simple yet so damn effective.

kelsci
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Not too long ago one day, I was thinking about Williams. There is not doubt in my mind his contribution to symphonic style music scores for movies as Woochifer points out. IMHO, I would think that the STAR WARS opening theme has to be the most recognized composition ever composed and recorded. It was not that easy to pick from the poll his best score but I had to go along with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. You just cannot beat that Imperial March in that movie plus it opens up with the usual STAR WARS theme.

swan24
03-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I went with 'Raiders,' but 'Superman' was a very evocative piece... I'd say, a close second... 'Superman' was certainly more complex, and a deeper work... But 'Raiders' had more impact and verve... (m.)

Feanor
03-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Here's the one I voted for ...

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e9vrfEoc8_g" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (http://<iframe title=)

Aside from the rousing march that makes up the main theme, the score for Superman had so many other evocative moments like the Leaving Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYj8nChItw) and Can You Read My Mind? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvd-BojBum4&feature=related) themes. This came right on the heels of Star Wars and Close Encounters, and right before Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and capped off by ET.
Williams' skill as a composer, orchestrator, and conductor is shown in these pieces. Thanks, Wooch.

Williams hasn't composed very much non-film score music -- where would he find the time?? But one I have on recording is his bassoon concerto, The Five Sacred Trees. Unfortunately the only Youtube version I could find was a very mediocre performance with bad sound, so I'll spare you that. You can find much better, though short, samples at Amazon.com, HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Concerto-Takemitsu-Hovhaness-Mysterious/dp/B0000029TZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299679515&sr=1-1).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hVmrBVUoL._SS500_.jpg

Incidentally I recommend this recording unreservedly. As well as Williams' work it has a fine performance of Alan Hovhaness' Symphony No.2, Mysterious Montain, and a couple of other interesting, non-film score pieces. All conducted by Williams of course.

Feanor
03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
How many buy film score recordings? Personally I don't recall that I have any -- no doubt an omission on my part.

I don't pay much concious attention to the music when watching films, and I have rarely watch movies with the intent to consentrate on the music. A couple of examples that come to mind, though, are 2001: A Space Odyssey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/) and Barry Lyndon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072684/) (Leonard Rosenman won A/W for Best Music); of course, these included much non-film score music.

RGA
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
This is an excellent poll and insanely difficult for me to make a selection so I chose Raiders. Though if you asked me yesterday I could have chosen Superman or Schindler's List.

Unlike all other composers as soon as I hear it I know exactly what movie and it makes me think of the film. He has a tremendous ability to grab you by the collar and he "gets" what the movie calls for and requires. Superman, Raiders, Schidler's List, Jaws, E.T. Star Wars/Empire, Close Encounters are the ones that stick out for me the most.

I've been watching Smallville recently - been on for many seasons and I got a DVD set of the first season. I love completely missing a show and then it's all new to me. Nice to see Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder as guest stars so far. It's a nice show.

Schindler's was immensely powerful and moving. I voted for Raiders but I do agree with you that Superman overall was more of a "complete" score - while I just love the opening closing credits of Raiders and I always think of the big ball chasing Indy. http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=cryQE1YS3Vo&feature=related

I wonder if Williams isn't held in even higher esteem because of the fact that he makes scores for films. But to be honest I carry his tunes in my head more than I do for Mozart! I guess I am a heathen after all but the scores stand on their own. Spielberg chose very wisely in Williams.

Itzkhak Perlman playing Schindler's List - just tremendous - really hard not to choose this score - ask me tomorrow - I probably will. http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=yMx2SKIRkw4 Tell me this doesn't rank up there with anything from anybody in the emotional heart strings department and you're made of stone! If it was done on the Cello I'd be a complete blubbering fool.

Katarina Witt skating to Schindler's List in a Red Dress. http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=355743&posted=1#post355743

atomicAdam
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I voted for Empire but I personally prefer Danny Elfman's movie music.

E-Stat
03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
How many buy film score recordings? Personally I don't recall that I have any -- no doubt an omission on my part.
They are among my favorite genres - most of which are classical in nature. While not classical, one of the very first albums I purchased at age 12 is the John Barry soundtrack to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Music is a powerful stimulus for me while watching a movie and adds to the enjoyment. Afterwards, I can hear part of the soundtrack and recall the scene, its mood and emotion.

rw

Woochifer
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
As I hear, John Williams has been nominated for more Academy Awards than any other person in any category -- actor, director, whatever.

He's tied for second with fellow composer Alfred Newman with 45 nominations. Walt Disney actually has the most nominations for any individual.

Williams has won 5 Oscars, while Newman won 9 (not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison because most of Newman's wins came in the now-vacated Song Score category, which included adaptations from other musical sources).

Funny thing is I've never really gotten tired of the Star Wars music while, on the other hand, Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings music has become very cloying for me.

Jury's still out on that one for me. I thought that Howard Shore's score for Fellowship of the Ring remains the best one of the three, because it had the most thematic variation and it has held up the best over repeated viewing. In interviews, Howard Shore indicated that he purposely included older traditional instruments and avoided any electronic/amplified instruments because he wanted something that would stand up over time.

To see the logic that, all you have to do is listen to a lot of the movie soundtracks that came out in the 70s and 80s. Many of the ones that heavily used electric instruments now sound almost laughably dated. Full symphonic scores were very much out of vogue when Williams wrote Star Wars.

Williams' skill as a composer, orchestrator, and conductor is shown in these pieces. Thanks, Wooch.

And I think that combination sets Williams apart from other composers that are now part of Hollywood's A-list -- e.g. James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, etc. Williams is a brilliant arranger, and IMO he is without peer in how he works the different orchestral sections together. That might be why his movie scores have held up so well.

Sometimes a short motif is all you need. It's not just the two notes in Jaws, but with how Williams starts slowly with just the string basses, and ratchets up the tension by adding the other sections and quickening the pace.

And with Close Encounters, Williams also wrote a wealth of material around a three-note motif. Very much an underappreciated soundtrack, given that it came out when Star Wars mania was in full bloom.

But your argument is a good one. How can you not think of the score when you think of Jaws bringing the shark to life whether you see the shark or not. That is why it is so hard to choose a favorite. Its like the Halloween theme so simple yet so damn effective.

Indeed, another iconic theme. Too bad my memory of the original classic was subsequently tarnished by the horrific sequels that came afterwards (yes, Jaws also had bad sequels, but I don't recall which, if any, used the John Williams theme).

Not too long ago one day, I was thinking about Williams. There is not doubt in my mind his contribution to symphonic style music scores for movies as Woochifer points out. IMHO, I would think that the STAR WARS opening theme has to be the most recognized composition ever composed and recorded. It was not that easy to pick from the poll his best score but I had to go along with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. You just cannot beat that Imperial March in that movie plus it opens up with the usual STAR WARS theme.

I was originally thinking about not including Empire Strikes Back in the poll, since it uses many of the same themes as Star Wars and I didn't include any other sequels. But, given that the Imperial March has nearly equaled (if not surpassed) the main theme in the public consciousness, I had to include Empire.

I went with 'Raiders,' but 'Superman' was a very evocative piece... I'd say, a close second... 'Superman' was certainly more complex, and a deeper work... But 'Raiders' had more impact and verve... (m.)

The genesis of this was poll was when Spike TV had Star Wars playing at the same time as USA Network's broadcast of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Both great soundtracks, but I agree that I found myself humming the music from Raiders a lot more. From Jaws in 1975 through E.T. in 1982, that was about as remarkable a run from a film composer as I've ever seen.

I wonder if Williams isn't held in even higher esteem because of the fact that he makes scores for films. But to be honest I carry his tunes in my head more than I do for Mozart! I guess I am a heathen after all but the scores stand on their own. Spielberg chose very wisely in Williams.

Williams is held in very high esteem, but he will forevermore be part of the "pops" genre that appeals more to the masses.

I think film compositions will always be hampered by the fact that they have to precisely relate to events occurring on screen. While these compositions can be interpreted and reorchestrated in much the same way as other classical pieces, the problem is that you'll always have a "definitive" version locked into the original movie. Of course, given how many more people go to the movies than classical concerts, it might not be a bad thing.

It's just different from other classical compositions that might be "inspired" by events or places, and leave more room to imagination or interpretation.

Howard Shore has compiled and rewritten portions of his Lord of the Rings scores into a symphonic suite that has played to very good reviews. Other composers like Gershwin and Bernstein have similarly taken music that they originally wrote for the stage, and reworked it so that it fit more into a symphonic structure.

I've yet to see John Williams try this with any of his film scores. That might be one way of making a play for more "serious" audiences, but his movie music is so firmly ingrained with audiences, I'm not sure that a new orchestration would accomplish much.

E-Stat
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Howard Shore has compiled and rewritten portions of his Lord of the Rings scores into a symphonic suite that has played to very good reviews.
Several years ago, he conducted the Atlanta Symphony and Chorus with an evening of music from Lord of the Rings. With the 200 voice chorus, the result was magnificent. Naturally, my old friend Dr. Cooledge (former TAS reviewer) was singing bass as he has for over thirty years.

rw

Feanor
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
They are among my favorite genres - most of which are classical in nature. While not classical, one of the very first albums I purchased at age 12 is the John Barry soundtrack to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Music is a powerful stimulus for me while watching a movie and adds to the enjoyment. Afterwards, I can hear part of the soundtrack and recall the scene, its mood and emotion.

rw
Thinking about just little more, I recall two that I have ...

Wendy Carlos & Erika Eigen's A Clockwork Orange -- man, that synthesizer stuff sounds dated today
Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi -- by no means a mainstream file -- in fact I haven't seen the film though I intend to.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51APuJWttzL._SL500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NO65ok02L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Woochifer
03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Thinking about just little more, I recall two that I have ...

Wendy Carlos & Erika Eigen's A Clockwork Orange -- man, that synthesizer stuff sounds dated today
Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi -- by no means a mainstream file -- in fact I haven't seen the film though I intend to.

OMG, I absolutely cannot imagine listening to Koyaanisqatsi without those stunning visuals! The music and imagery for Koyaanisqatsi are far more intertwined than just about any other movie I can think of, because there's no dialog or narration, and the music is present for every second of that movie.

The two times I've seen the Philip Glass ensemble have been for live accompaniment performance of Koyaanisqatsi and Powaaqatsi . Absolutely incredible, and they have done live performances of the Qatsi trilogy as recently as two years ago.

hifitommy
03-12-2011, 09:59 AM
first for me would be close encounters. quite a dynamic slam in the opening. star wars was memorable as i saw the movie at grauman's chinese right in the center (perhaps one of my most memorable movie moments). i saw it at the century center plitt and while still a great showing, HALF as good as at the chinese.

music-wise though, encounters is still my favorite. the next fave is a soundtrack from the movie-short cuts. its essentially an annie ross album, just great. the movie was also quite good.

Feanor
03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
OMG, I absolutely cannot imagine listening to Koyaanisqatsi without those stunning visuals! The music and imagery for Koyaanisqatsi are far more intertwined than just about any other movie I can think of, because there's no dialog or narration, and the music is present for every second of that movie.

I was able to borrow and watch a copy of Koyaanisqatsi, (Hopi: "life out of balance"). I enjoyed it. Quite mesmerizing. Many evocative and ironically amusing images, all perfectly synchronized and complemented by the music.

I think life's banalities would often be more bearable sped up or slowed down, and accompanied by moody music.

Glass' music is better with pictures, otherwise it's pretty boring; I only listen to it occasionally as background.

RGA
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
It's interesting but I think the film actually counts with how the score will resonate. I can't remember the score for Lord of the Rings - not a single second of it can I recall. But I view this trilogy as mediocre one note overlong 9 hours of tedium.

Feanor
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
It's interesting but I think the film actually counts with how the score will resonate. I can't remember the score for Lord of the Rings - not a single second of it can I recall. But I view this trilogy as mediocre one note overlong 9 hours of tedium.
I'm a big Tolkien fan so I liked the movies in many but not all respects, viz.

The worse damage (for a Tolkien lover) was the plot modifications. The omission of Tom Bombadil was unfortunate but the changes around the characater, Faramir, were truly egregious. One of the screenwriters, I think Philippa Boyens, said that her judgement as a professional writer was better than the amateur Tolkien's. What arrogance! Better than Tolkien, most read fiction writer of the 20th century: give me a break.
Casting was again imperfect. Ian McKellan was fabulous as Gandalf but Elijah Wood was completely wrong as Frodo, (a much younger, more naive, and wimpier character than Tolkien's original).
On the other hand the visual art was great over all. Jackson wisely relied on two great Tolkien interpretive artists: John Howe and Alan Lee.
Howard Shore's music was basically well-conceive -- that pseudo-Celtic style. But after a few listens it became, for me, really, really cloying.

swan24
03-13-2011, 05:28 AM
I think when one is in the biz of creating themes, they are writing what I like to refer to as barnburners... And that certainly colors people's perception of your work... Also, you're largely working in a contemporary symphonic atmosphere... You're writing large works for many instruments... A point was made (above) that Williams tends to fall into the 'pops' category... I think that may only partially be so...

It's often been said that you can either make music, or make money... John Williams has done both, IMO... (m.)

Added: The word in italics above is bar nbur ners...

E-Stat
03-13-2011, 08:41 AM
first for me would be close encounters. quite a dynamic slam in the opening.
A nice work for sure, but alas my copy is thin and flat sounding.

rw

Woochifer
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Well, I have the exactly opposite impression of LOTR and its music. I can readily recall a lot of the themes from each of the three movies. Then again, I really like the movies and have seen them multiple times (both the theatrical and extended versions).

I can see how the memory of a score might correspond with how a movie resonated. I definitely don't remember anything from Battlefield Earth. Then again, I can recall the music from A Clockwork Orange, and I found the movie itself tedious and pointless (this coming from someone who loves 2001 and Dr. Strangelove).

I was able to borrow and watch a copy of Koyaanisqatsi, (Hopi: "life out of balance"). I enjoyed it. Quite mesmerizing. Many evocative and ironically amusing images, all perfectly synchronized and complemented by the music.

I think life's banalities would often be more bearable sped up or slowed down, and accompanied by moody music.

Glass' music is better with pictures, otherwise it's pretty boring; I only listen to it occasionally as background.

Might want to seek out Powaaqatsi ("life in transformation") now that you've seen Koyaanisqatsi. In many ways, that's a more moving movie and the music follows accordingly. Glass' scores are minimalist in general, but work very well with the imagery.

Amazing to see how stop motion photography can alter the perspective from everyday occurrences.

first for me would be close encounters. quite a dynamic slam in the opening. star wars was memorable as i saw the movie at grauman's chinese right in the center (perhaps one of my most memorable movie moments). i saw it at the century center plitt and while still a great showing, HALF as good as at the chinese.

music-wise though, encounters is still my favorite. the next fave is a soundtrack from the movie-short cuts. its essentially an annie ross album, just great. the movie was also quite good.

Ah yes, I remember when Star Wars played the Chinese Theatre. It stayed there for almost a year. I wanted to see it there so badly, but whenever we ventured out to the Chinese, it was to take out-of-town visitors to see the stars' footprints.

Years later, I started going to the Chinese to see movies, but grew to like the AVCO and Village theaters in Westwood better (better sound systems IMO).

As far as the music goes, Close Encounters is almost the forgotten soundtrack in that great run that Williams had, and it's probably the most restrained score of the group. But, it's brilliant in how it evokes a sense of mystery and wonder.