Hello! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

trailguy
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking forward to the good info and advice.
I've always enjoyed good sound, not expert, but more at an 'enthusiast' level who does understand how thngs work.
Starting in 1980, I bought a Mitsubishi DA-R25 , a set of AR-48's, a Harmon/Kardon CD301 linear phase cassette deck.
Later, I installed a Yamaha P-751 direct drive turntable, and a Yamaha CDC-775 disc player.
I've been through two Mitsubishi DA-R25's, each failing after many years, and local shop not knowing how to repair. Last one just failed last week. Symptom of each, after being on for a while, it would stop sound - after a minute make a crackle sound and come back to life. Off time gradually becomes longer, until it now will not come on at all.
Question is, what might I find that will give same high/low tonal quaility sound?
I love the sound and 'feel' of the vintage, but will buy new if I can get similar sound quality.
Thanks for any advice.

dakatabg
03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Welcome here,

you can get a Marantz or Sansui receiver that will sound similar or maybe better than your Mitsubishi! There are many other brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Luxman and more.

Mr Peabody
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I've not heard the Mits amps. In vintage gear the Sansui integrateds from the 70's are very good. Can you compare the Mits to anything and what would your budget be? New amps from NAD or Cambridge Audio present a good value.

JoeE SP9
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Welcome to AR.

Sorry, I can't help you with receiver advice. I've never had one. There are plenty of posters here who can be of assistance.