Does anyone know of a program that will catalogue my CDs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a program that will catalogue my CDs?

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2011, 08:00 AM
I recently bought a CD that I later discovered I already had. This isn't the first time I've done that. My husband suggested finding a way to catologue my CD collection so that I can reference a database before ordering anything.

Is there a software program that will do this? I'm thinking that there must be something where I can pop a CD into my computer and then automatically load all the information into a database that can be sorted using various parametres. I guess something like iTunes, but it would only load the song info, not the actual song.

My CD collection is 1,000+ and growing. I really need to get a better grasp on it.

Thanks.

Stone
03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I recently bought a CD that I later discovered I already had. This isn't the first time I've done that. My husband suggested finding a way to catologue my CD collection so that I can reference a database before ordering anything.

Is there a software program that will do this? I'm thinking that there must be something where I can pop a CD into my computer and then automatically load all the information into a database that can be sorted using various parametres. I guess something like iTunes, but it would only load the song info, not the actual song.

My CD collection is 1,000+ and growing. I really need to get a better grasp on it.

Thanks.

There are a few out there, with differing functions and eases of use. I use OrangeCD, which can be purchased and downloaded here (http://www.firetongue.com/). It costs $34.95, but is a lot more versatile than the free programs I found when I was looking for a program (maybe 5 years ago or so). It will do just what you are looking for: read the info off of the CD, and download the CD info (including artwork, track names and lengths, and whatever other info has been logged) off of CDDB or whatever database is used for that now. It's not the most userfriendly program in the world (especially when cataloging non-digital pieces like vinyl), but the CD cataloging is easy and quick. It also gives you options on how to view the database (i.e., what columns of info you want to see on the screen), and how to sort it (by artist, year, etc.) and options for printing or creating a document such as a PDF.

This isn't a plug for OrangeCD; there may be better and cheaper out there now. But I've been reasonably satisfied with it, and I have quite a bit of music cataloged.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks.

I use two things to keep track of my CDs. I almost always buy from Amazon.com and as soon as you log onto the page with the CD you ordered in the past it tells you that you already own it. I always use Windows Media Player so I simply make sure that it aint already in the library. Thats why I store all my CDs on my PCs. I don't think I would ever remember what I had and didn't have otherwise although I have a scary good memory. Thats how I help myself remember anyway. Good luck.

bobsticks
03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I feel for ya FallGiirl...with the Verve remasters and Grammaphon reissues, it's a fairly common occurance that I come home with the same disc in a different package. Sometimes it becomes an interesting exercise in listen-and-compare though usually not.

Sooo...no solutions but if'n you come up with one, share it to the world. Inquiring minds wanna know...:D

kexodusc
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Usually my computer says something like the "The filename file already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?" so I click cancel.

I kid, I kid...

I only have 756 albums in my digital library, but I've bought a few versions of classical albums and even a few old blues recordings in duplicate now myself. Don't have the problem with most rock music, I can usually remember. Curious to see what the solution is.

Smokey
03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Sooo...no solutions but if'n you come up with one, share it to the world. Inquiring minds wanna know...:D

Stack them alphabetically :cool:

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Stack them alphabetically :cool:

I do. My challenge is that I don't put my CDs away when I'm finished listening to them. I just stack them up, non-alphabetically, until the stack threatens to topple over. Then I'll file them back in place. But that could take months.

3LB
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
my problem lately is that although I'm buyinng different artists, I'm winding up with the same album ;)

Robert-The-Rambler
03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I do. My challenge is that I don't put my CDs away when I'm finished listening to them. I just stack them up, non-alphabetically, until the stack threatens to topple over. Then I'll file them back in place. But that could take months.

Get a large External Hard Drive like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186269

Start ripping those suckers. Over 1000 CDs ought to take over a week to finish but in the end it will be so worth it. Make your own greatest hits collections or make your own mixes for your favorites from certain genres. Once you digitize there is no going back. Fiddling with actual CDs is so 20th century......

With a 2 terrabyte hard drive you can rip all your CDs in lossless .wav format using Window Media player. You will have easy access to your virtual jukebox. Though not perfect WMP will catalog your music files using an online database to figure out the names of your files and the albums they are from sometimes even with the correct cover art from the CD. Hell you won't even need to get out of your easy chair to change tracks or discs. The only thing you will have to do during marathon listening sessions is stop to eat and pee.

You can take it a step further and purchase other USB devices such as a USB DAC like the FiiO E7 or the Soundblaster X-FI USB HD and perhaps some crazy headphones but it all starts with ripping so get to it.

Jack in Wilmington
03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I used to have the problem of opening the jewel case and there is no CD inside. I would just forget where I played it last between computer drives, car cd players, various portable cd players at work. I was such a scatter brain. Now with my ipod, I can take everything with me.

jonnyhambone
03-08-2011, 10:35 AM
On the other end of the spectrum from Jack ^, I was facing the task of cataloging and alphabetizing my LP's...I ended up using RecordNerd.com. It's a very basic database but has the right fields, alphabetizes everything, and I keep it bookmarked on my phone so I can always check what i have/want while out at the record store or record nerding out with friends. It's set up so you can choose the music format and catalog all your music - cd's, tapes, vinyl, etc. 'Course the downside is that you manually enter everything but now that I have everything (I only did vinyl for me) in there, I update as I'm doing initial listening sessions with new purchases...plus you can personalize it with comments and notes on each entry.
here's my record collection list --> Jonnyhambone Records (http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/jonnyhambone)

bobsticks
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
here's my record collection list --> Jonnyhambone Records (http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/jonnyhambone)

That's a great collection Jonny...very diverse...I shoulda guessed you'd be a Cabaret Voltaire fan.

ForeverAutumn
03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. There's no way that I can manually input my CD collections. I have neither the time nor the desire. Simplicity and ease are the keys for me. Although I do like the thought of being able to carry the list on my phone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some suggestions from another site too. I'll start checking them all out this week and let you know what I end up with. :)

Swish
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
My CD collection is 10+ and growing. I really need to get a better grasp on it.

Thanks.

Excel. Entering the info on 10+ cds should be a snap.

Glad I could help.

ForeverAutumn
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Excel. Entering the info on 10+ cds should be a snap.

Glad I could help.

And since they are all prog CDs, there are only 3 songs on each CD. You're right, this should be a cinch.

:rolleyes: