Which DAC/Amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which DAC/Amp

hrbballman
03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm having so much trouble choosing a dac/amp!!! its literally killing me! for now i'll be powering my beyerdynamic dt770 600 ohm headphones but eventually i hope to just hook the dac into my integrated amp to power some speakers. I can't decide if i should get an integrated dac and headphone amp or just get them seperately. If i go the integrated route i was thinking about doing a yulong d100 or the nuforce icon hd, however i heard the nuforce makes the beyer's super harsh with highs. if i go the seperate route i was thinking the HRT II+ music streamer and a matrix M stage. Help Please:D

jrhymeammo
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Do you already have an output transformer-less (OTL) headphone amp for your high impedance headphones? I have an Earmax clone(OTL) for my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohms and the combination is incredible.
I don't think other types of headphone amps will bring the best of your great headphones.

This is basically what I have with a badge that says PHENIX.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SENSE-G3-T7-Vacuum-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-New-/270696023351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06bd8537

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/w_G3_and_Aune.JPG

JRA

hrbballman
03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I actually just got the DT 770's. They were super cheap so i jumped and got them without having the equipment i knew i needed! they were just such a deal! I had to! I've heard that the yulong powers them adequately enough and to be honest i'm not even considering the nuforce anymore. Where'd you get the Phenix? i didnt really want to do the tube amp thing but now i'm intrigued....

jrhymeammo
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I got it from the same guy here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SENSE-G3-T7-Vacuum-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-New-/270696023351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06bd8537

Be sure to contact the seller about the power supply's voltage.
But there are tons of other OTL amps such as Little Dots, EarMax, WooAudio, Darkvoice, Antique SoundLabs, etc.

How much did you get the DT770 for?
The 600 ohm version mates best with OTL tube headphone amps in my opinion.

JRA

hrbballman
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
My friends dad is an audio freak and got all three 770, 880 and 990(all 600 ohm). The dad didn't like them much(he's a sennheiser freak) and gave all three to the son. My friend isn't too crazy for audio and said he definitely did not like 770 so I offered 85 and he went for it! they don't have more than 150 hrs break in. I'm hoping he doesnt like the others either! I would love to compare all three. The phenix has a very nice price! What do you think of it?

hrbballman
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Sorry for two posts in a row but whats your opinion of the 880's?

jrhymeammo
03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry for two posts in a row but whats your opinion of the 880's?

No problem at all.
I think they produce great/powerful bass so the midrange sounds a bit recessed.
Probably not the last word in resolution, but the sound with OTL allows me to keep listening for hours. On the first weekend, I played them over 8 hours a day. Now that's saying something.

The only complaint I have is that my giant head do wish the Beyers adjusted a bit more.
For the price, I couldn't have made a better selection.

hrbballman
03-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I think i'm gonna jump and go for pretty much your same set up! I've decided on the HRT II+. many thanks for showing me the Phenix!

jrhymeammo
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I love my setup, but other people are very happy with Little Dot vaccum headphone amps with their high impedance headphone amps.

The Little Dot comes with WE403AB like the ones used in MHDT DACs, while the Phenix uses three 6922/6DJ8 tubes. Some of the 6922/6DJ8 can be very costly, but most of the tubes can be had for less than $15 a piece. I think there are only about 2 or 3 difference WE403AB tubes available now so I think your option is already limited.

If I were you, I would search a bit more on available OTL tube amps.
The Phenix is a great sounding unit, but I have very little experience with headphones amps with my Beyerdynamics.

Have Fun,
JRA

hifi-freak
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
You can also take a look at Solid state amps, but it seems like your budget is limited.. right?

Poultrygeist
04-19-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm really enjoying my Audio GD NFB-12 ( HP amp, DAC, and Pre ) . You might want to check out it's huge thread on Headfi. With it's dual Wolfson chips it's an untouchable deal at $200.

jrhymeammo
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm really enjoying my Audio GD NFB-12 ( HP amp, DAC, and Pre ) . You might want to check out it's huge thread on Headfi. With it's dual Wolfson chips it's an untouchable deal at $200.

Just my $0.02 but...
Audio GD NFB-12 sounds untouchable with Audio Technica cans, but the Beyerdynamic@600ohm sound very very flat. the combination is as dreadful as AT cans with my OTL headphone amp.

Poultrygeist
04-26-2011, 02:32 PM
The NFB-12 matches well with my Grado's but I'm not much into cans. I bought the NFB-12 for it's DAC amd you won't find a better one for the money.