Speaker search coming to an end? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker search coming to an end?

musiclover187
03-06-2011, 09:07 AM
When I started looking to replace my Klipsch Ref 3s, I didn't realize how time consuming and exhausting it would be. First off just finding dealers that actually had speakers in stock to audition was unbelievably challenging. Most of the home audio/video "experts" didn't have showrooms. When I asked them how a customer was supposed to choose speakers they all had to same response. The customer was to rely on their "expertise" and that they would choose the speakers based on the customers requirements and budget. Huh? I don't think so! Anyway I had to do some traveling in order to find some brick and mortar dealers that had some of the speakers that I was interested in. I've narrowed my search and would appreciate your thoughts on these speakers.
First up are PSB Imagine Ts: Although the music was well defined, I found them to be a bit bright for my taste. I also listened to the PSB T6s which were very nice but just a little too warm. When I say a little too warm, I mean very little. As a matter of fact I was leaning towards getting them until the dealer suggested listening to Focal Chorus 816s. These speakers were amazing. They had everything that I was looking for. Wonderful imaging and soundstage. Very clear without sounding too sharp and the bass was awesome.
I was ready to make my decision when the dealer suggested a listen to GoldenEar Towers. I had never heard of this company so the dealer filled me in on the history. They looked very much like Def Tech and after the history lesson there was no wonder why. I had listened to Def Techs at another dealer and was not impressed. I don't recall what model they were so my statement regarding Def Tech is not meant as a general impression of their different models. Anyway after listening to the GoldenEars I was not so sure about the Focals. Don't get me wrong, the Focals were fantastic. But the GolenEars were pretty amazing as well. When I was listening to them I closed my eyes and it felt (sounded) like the music was all around me. At this point I had been listening to different speakers for over 2 hours. I was exhausted and hungry :) My plan is to go back to the dealer and listen to the speakers again. This time starting with the GolenEars. What do you guys think?
Btw sorry for the long winded post.

Yamahog12
03-26-2011, 08:03 AM
So what did you decide?

musiclover187
03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Get used to the name because these speakers are going to be very popular. After a seemingly endless speaker auditioning process I took delivery of a pair of GoldenEar Triton II
tower speakers and a SuperStat 50 to use as my center channel. I've only had them for 4 days so they are not fully broken-in and I don't run them over night to expedite the process.
So far all I can say is WOW! Now mind you I am 50 years old but these speakers have me feeling like a teenager going on his first date:) I can't wait to get home from work to hear how these speakers are going to sound. They have sounded better and better each day.
I'll try to put together a more detailed review in a week or two. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but I'll do my best to describe what I hear.