I demanded satisfaction! I got it. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I demanded satisfaction! I got it.

BIGPERM
03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I would like to enlighten everyone here with [what I think] is a superb $4500 home audio set up- from personal experience of course.

Keep in mind we all have different preferences on the way we like music to sound. I do not like subtle. I like my vocals crisp, clear and loud and like my bass the same way. I believe the listening experience should be 3-dimensional.

I have put this system together over the past 4 months:

TT: Rega P3-24 with TT PSU power supply (~ $1300)

CART: Ortofon 2M Bronze ($400)

PRE: Yamaha C4 ($160 on ebay + $550 refurb)

AMP: Emotiva XPA-2 ($800)

SPEAKERS: Cerwin Vega XLS-215 ($1200/pair)

Anyway....

Been using Technics sl-d3 table for past few months. The Rega was the last piece and it arrived yesterday and it tied everything together.

Listening to Portishead now and I feel like I finally see the light! There was always something missing from the sound. Vocals too far back, or the mids not right...couldn't put my finger on it. But the Rega was the final key that opened the door to my own little AUDIO NIRVANA.

02audionoob
03-05-2011, 08:12 PM
You've really got some solid value in the choices you've made. Congratulations on the audio nirvana. Not being able to put your finger on it but knowing you hear it is actually exactly it. As far as I'm concerned, turntables that get the specs right but don't get the midrange right can just languish in the basements and thrift stores of the world.

:14:

frenchmon
03-05-2011, 11:32 PM
turntables that get the specs right but don't get the midrange right can just languish in the basements and thrift stores of the world.

...I like that...and its so true about the midrange.

frenchmon
03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I would like to enlighten everyone here with [what I think] is a superb $4500 home audio set up- from personal experience of course.

Keep in mind we all have different preferences on the way we like music to sound. I do not like subtle. I like my vocals crisp, clear and loud and like my bass the same way. I believe the listening experience should be 3-dimensional.

I have put this system together over the past 4 months:

TT: Rega P3-24 with TT PSU power supply (~ $1300)

CART: Ortofon 2M Bronze ($400)

PRE: Yamaha C4 ($160 on ebay + $550 refurb)

AMP: Emotiva XPA-2 ($800)

SPEAKERS: Cerwin Vega XLS-215 ($1200/pair)

Anyway....

Been using Technics sl-d3 table for past few months. The Rega was the last piece and it arrived yesterday and it tied everything together.

Listening to Portishead now and I feel like I finally see the light! There was always something missing from the sound. Vocals too far back, or the mids not right...couldn't put my finger on it. But the Rega was the final key that opened the door to my own little AUDIO NIRVANA.

Congrats on your system...nothing like putting together a nice rig for the cheap...So what can you tell me about the Bronze?

BIGPERM
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
The 2M bronze is only the second cart I've owned, the first being a 2M red. I can tell you its a great cart for the money and better than the 2M red. I do get a bit of sibilance if the treble is too high- probably the only kind of annoying thing, but this resolves if I turn the treble down.

Unfortunately I dont have much to compare it too in order to give you a more detailed review.

It was a bit difficult to find reviews on it. Most 2M reviews are for the black model, which you can upgrade to from the bronze body without having to buy an entire new cart. Same insides but different stylus.

Considering moving coil if I decide to move on from this. But I think I'll just enjoy this combo for a while.

02audionoob
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Do you have spacers under the Rega tonearm?

hifitommy
03-06-2011, 04:52 PM
its great that you got great sound without spending the big bucks that so many say you must to get a decent vinyl player.

just like anything else, the more you spend, the more you get. in this case you got your money's worth.

atomicAdam
03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
my rega has been driving me f'ing bat **** crazy lately.

Today turned it on, and no matter the 45rpm button in or out (ie. off or on) it was spinning at 45rpm! It make Sufjan Steves sound like a chipmunk. Any how, that is the 2nd time it has done some weird electrical thing on me, not to mention i have to pick up the platter and hand spin the pulley to get the platter going.... every time now. Also not to mention the less than 13 year old slave labor in asian quality of the TT PSU electrical plug adapter. It sounds good when working, just like my Land Rover goes over snow well, it it is working!

Anyways - looks like you have a good system. The P3 will give you a great start to up grading path as well. I've used mine from $1000->$5000 speakers and $300->$6000 amplifiers and it generally going gets better.

jrhymeammo
03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I bet it sounds incredible.
The P3-24 should be a great step up from the Technics with plastic plinth.
Also, I've heard great things about Yamaha's C-series preamps' phono stage.
What all the refurb was done to the unit?

Have Fun,
JRA

poppachubby
03-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Looks great, well done! I would suggest slowly researching and auditioning a phono stage. Consider something with tubes perhaps. I know the Yammy does a nice job, so no rush. Enjoy!

frenchmon
03-07-2011, 06:50 AM
The 2M bronze is only the second cart I've owned, the first being a 2M red. I can tell you its a great cart for the money and better than the 2M red. I do get a bit of sibilance if the treble is too high- probably the only kind of annoying thing, but this resolves if I turn the treble down.

Unfortunately I dont have much to compare it too in order to give you a more detailed review.

It was a bit difficult to find reviews on it. Most 2M reviews are for the black model, which you can upgrade to from the bronze body without having to buy an entire new cart. Same insides but different stylus.

Considering moving coil if I decide to move on from this. But I think I'll just enjoy this combo for a while.

How long have you had the Bronze? I have the 2M Red now and its an amazing cart at its price level. When I first got it, there was much sibilance...but after about 30-50 hour it started to settle down. The cart sound presents a very nice sound stag and its has all three, top end, mids and bottom end. If there is a complaint, its that the bottom end is not a full as I would like but other than that I have no complaints. Its a very detailed cart. I've found a tone of reviews on all three carts...and the majority over at Audiokarma.org . The professional reviews give the 2M carts great marks. They say the Red, Blue and the Bronze lack warmth but I find the Red not overly warm but its there. They say the Bronze lacks passion and can be analytical but most consumer reviews say thats not the case. And I've seen consumer and professional reviews say the 2M Black performs and sounds like a MC cart. So I am really thinking about moving up to Bronze or Black....if I can get a good deal on the Black from my dealer then it will be so. I also listen to a Goldring cart the other day....forget what model but which ever comes on the MMF-5.1. It sounded pretty nice as well.

frenchmon
03-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Do you have spacers under the Rega tonearm?

noob...whats the deal with Rega arms and spacers? Peabody and I where at a local audio shop and the dealer there mention to Peabody and I that if Peabody was thinking of moving up to the Dynavector 10x5 then he would need spacers. IS that a common thing with Rega or is it just a common thing period?

JoeE SP9
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Different cartridges require different tone arm heights.

The arm/cartridge should be adjusted for proper VTA. The arm should be parallel to the LP. Different cartridges require different tonearm pivot heights. Some cartridges sound better with the arm a couple of degrees above or below parallel. I use a Michell height adjuster with my RB300. This allows completely adjustable height with no changing of spacers. If you're really finicky you could/would adjust the arm for different vinyl weights. Heavier is thicker.

Correct cartridge alignment using a stylus protractor is an absolute necessity. You can download free stylus protractors from the link below.
www.vinylengine.com (http://www.vinylengine.com)

frenchmon
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks JoeE

02audionoob
03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
noob...whats the deal with Rega arms and spacers? Peabody and I where at a local audio shop and the dealer there mention to Peabody and I that if Peabody was thinking of moving up to the Dynavector 10x5 then he would need spacers. IS that a common thing with Rega or is it just a common thing period?

Rega makes some of the lowest-height cartridges on the market and they don't have VTA adjustment on their tonearms. The spacers are rather popular since so many people use taller non-Rega cartridges on their Rega turntables.

frenchmon
03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Rega makes some of the lowest-height cartridges on the market and they don't have VTA adjustment on their tonearms. The spacers are rather popular since so many people use taller non-Rega cartridges on their Rega turntables.

Oh I see. Thanks. man.

Poultrygeist
03-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Audio Nirvana has some nice full range drivers.