Wifi Music Players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Music Players

jrhymeammo
03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I've sold my Marantz SA8001 on Agon, and will be acquiring a Wifi music player.
My current idea is to get the Logitech Squeezebox™ Duet. My audio buddy has one and I LOVE it. And it's only $399!!! The Wifi technology should be considered a taboo in audiophile community. But, I didn't find the sound quality to be an issue and its acccessibility via remote outweigh any audible disadvantages of Wifi.

Since the Duet has been around for over a year, I'm wondering if other Wifi players are scheduled to be released in a near future.
My potential budget is no higher than $600.
I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch so the Sonos is out of my budget(plus it's been around for a while).

Also, a digital output would be prefered.

Thanks,
JRA

vagabond88
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Check out the Sonos S5. Or if you have an existing system already, you could just hook up a Sonos ZP90, then download (free) the controller software on your laptop/iPhone/iTouch/iPod/android phone and you're set. Sonos is still the way to go, comparatively speaking (Squeezebox and the like).

poppachubby
03-22-2011, 04:52 AM
JRA I absolutely love my SB Touch. It's without a doubt the funnest audio product I have bought in a long time. I could care less about audiophile sentiment, that is the opposite of fun.

One thing I would suggest to start doing is making sure that your files are properly tagged, including cover art. I had to go through quite a few of mine to fix them up so they appeared correctly. The effort is rewarded however. This program is free and damn near saved my life with it's batch tagging ability. It also has an auto tag feature which connects to databases like Discog and Amazon. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I have my Touch connected with 75ohm coax to my DAC and it sounds amazing. Absolutely no jitter. I listen quite a bit with my cans, also super enjoyable. Right now I have about 1100 albums, all tagged with cover art. I love just browsing and checking out the "inventory"...again super fun.

Aside from that I think that the wifi transport is a perfect compliment to the analog lover. In my main room I have my all analog system. For LPs which I really am digging, I can rip them and send them elsewhere. Keep in mind I have kids too, which means I can't have TTs all over my house.

Nothing beats the vinyl experience IMO. As I write this I am listening to Hank Mobley through my main rig and quite frankly, it's perfect. Huge creamy tone, perfect mids. Then again, analog is where my focus is.

recoveryone
03-22-2011, 06:54 AM
JRA, I concur with Poppa assessment, I would only suggest looking for one on Ebay or other online bidding sites where you could save about a $100 off the retail price.

Feanor
03-22-2011, 06:59 AM
I've sold my Marantz SA8001 on Agon, and will be acquiring a Wifi music player.
My current idea is to get the Logitech Squeezebox™ Duet. My audio buddy has one and I LOVE it. And it's only $399!!! The Wifi technology should be considered a taboo in audiophile community. But, I didn't find the sound quality to be an issue and its acccessibility via remote outweigh any audible disadvantages of Wifi.

Since the Duet has been around for over a year, I'm wondering if other Wifi players are scheduled to be released in a near future.
My potential budget is no higher than $600.
I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch so the Sonos is out of my budget(plus it's been around for a while).

Also, a digital output would be preferred.

Thanks,
JRA
The Squeezebox is as strong option and I'm not convinced that you need spend more -- at least not when using a good, downstream DAC. Wifi definitely has the bandwidth to support any audio stream; if people are having problems it is likely due to other compter activities that are interfering or interrupting; mimimized these and you should be fine.

I totally agree with Poppachubby on the value of good metadata tagging. Personally I go to a lot of trouble in this regard with my classical music, but it's worth it. MP3Tag is a good program though I usually use Tag&Rename ... here (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm) ... but it's not free unfortunately.

jrhymeammo
03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you guys for the suggestions.
It so happens, I've received the Squeezebox Duet yesterday. The setup was a breeze. It took no longer than 20 minutes including wiring, positioning, and wifi setup. I LOVE IT!!!!

I could care less about audiophile sentiment, that is the opposite of fun.

I agree with here. But the main reason why I got this was the sound quality. When I first heard it, I was amazed to how great it sounded compared to my expectation of a wifi player.
I'm aware of a 3rd party power supply mod to the unit, but I think I'll ignore it. If anything, I'll just get a beefier wallwart PS. I'm not going to mess with this one much.

Thanks for your suggestion on media tagging.
I'm still not sure what happened, but I had hit a wrong button, and all of my FLAC files have been deleted. I've ripped about 40 CDs and I'm only up to the letter C....

Here is the pic I've posted yesterday.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_2991.JPG

poppachubby
03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Very nice pic JRA!! You are using yours exactly as I use mine. I use the analog outputs to my Home Theatre for listening, and the digital to my DAC for headphone enjoyment.

Have fun!! I spent almost 2 months with mine before I went back to vinyl.

Mingus
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
The SB is fun to use. Mine is connected to the anolog input of theYamaha HT Receiver in the living room and plays the music from the PC upstairs. The audio play through this setup is very good. I'll be getting a DAC for it shortly.

jrhymeammo
03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
As Poppa stated, I love Vinyl and if I want to really listen to music, I spini some black wax. But sometimes I need to keep music going in background. I admit, I've already looked into some mods, but not sure if it's worth the price. Not much components to work with.

I haven't had a chance to compare SB's internal DAC vs Audio gd NFB-12 I've recently acquired.
I think the DAC is excellent and do have it connected with SB. It's just too bad, I;m not using its wonderful headphone amp.

Hey Mingus,
What DAC are you planning to get?

Thanks,
JRA

Mingus
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I am not sure which DAC I'll be getting. But I narrow it down to Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($300), DacMagic ($400), or PS Audio Digital Link ($800).

Are there others.

recoveryone
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
JRA, not sure if you have done this yet, but just put in a Artist name and let the SB do the rest, this is were it shines the most or even just a Genre and sit back and relax.

02audionoob
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I am not sure which DAC I'll be getting. But I narrow it down to Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($300), DacMagic ($400), or PS Audio Digital Link ($800).

Are there others.

Below that budget, I've often been tempted by the Xiang Sheng DAC-01 for around $200. Above that budget, I'm intrigued by the new Rega DAC. I have the PS Audio DLIII, which can often be found on Audiogon for around $500-600.

Mingus
03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Below that budget, I've often been tempted by the Xiang Sheng DAC-01 for around $200. Above that budget, I'm intrigued by the new Rega DAC. I have the PS Audio DLIII, which can often be found on Audiogon for around $500-600.

Thanks for the advice. I eventually have to get two, for the living room and the basement system. I am leaning toward the Dac magic and PS Audio DL3. I will check out the Xiang Sheng and Rega DACs.

Enochrome
03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
What about the Grant Fidelity DAC-09? I see that Poppa, you have said it is a great deal at $215, is that still the case?

I also am trying to figure out a wireless option on the cheap. What about the Apple TV running through a quality DAC? Was that sacreligious of me to mention Apple TV?
I feel like unloading my AV receiver and having a DAC run through my vintage receiver.

Enochrome
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Noob,

It looks like the Xiang Sheng DAC-01 and the Grant Fidelity are the exact same thing. Maybe Poppa will chime in and give us a review. Do you think the tube is just novelty or does it affect the sound in any profound way?

recoveryone
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
What about the Grant Fidelity DAC-09? I see that Poppa, you have said it is a great deal at $215, is that still the case?

I also am trying to figure out a wireless option on the cheap. What about the Apple TV running through a quality DAC? Was that sacreligious of me to mention Apple TV?
I feel like unloading my AV receiver and having a DAC run through my vintage receiver.

It may come down to what you may already have:

DAR's (SB, Sonos ...) need dedicated computer for storage and run software WiFi or hardwire

Gaming system (Xbox, PS3) WiFi for streaming

Laptop/Computer: Setup for each time you want to listen, Good Sound Card

Each has its plus and minuses, depending on what you have and willing to deal with a s far as sound quality.

02audionoob
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Noob,

It looks like the Xiang Sheng DAC-01 and the Grant Fidelity are the exact same thing. Maybe Poppa will chime in and give us a review. Do you think the tube is just novelty or does it affect the sound in any profound way?

I don't doubt the tube has a significant effect on the final output of the device, but I like that the DAC has two sets of outputs and the tube is in only one of the two.

poppachubby
04-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Yes Xiang Sheng and the GF are essentially the same device. The largest difference would be the price, however at $215 Grant Fidelity will offer support. The other issue is that when you buy a Xiang Sheng there's no guarantee as to the quality of the internal parts. When GF were having them made, the design was under licence to them and the parts were all approved by Ian Grant.

I think the DAC-09 ships from Asia now as I am pretty sure grant's stocks have been depleted. Shipping used to be a bonus since GF are in Canada.

Our own RGA did a review of the DAC-09 for Dagogo, a site where he is a prominent reviewer for those maybe did not know. I have never owned the DAC-01 despite all of my raving. I do know a couple of solid guys over at AK who love thiers and use it regularily with high end tube gear.

The tube circuitry is essentially a buffer, but does alter the output. Most guys swap out the stock tube for something better. It's quite a performer as 02 mentioned, it can function as a pre amp with a simple internal mod.

I think you'll find that even at $200, it competes quite well. If you can find an Asian seller which you are comfortable with on Ebay, you can expect to pay far less.

poppachubby
04-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Hey Feanor, recovery and JRA...I guess all WIFI types..have you heard of Moose? It's a WIFI app meant to replace the Squeezebox Server.

The Server is quite nifty both in function and looks, but Moose is a cut above. I have been using it for a week now. It has a wonderful animated cover art chooser, which is the main reason I chose it. It also does a ton of other cool stuff...check it out!!

http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

Feanor
04-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Hey Feanor, recovery and JRA...I guess all WIFI types..have you heard of Moose? It's a WIFI app meant to replace the Squeezebox Server.

The Server is quite nifty both in function and looks, but Moose is a cut above. I have been using it for a week now. It has a wonderful animated cover art chooser, which is the main reason I chose it. It also does a ton of other cool stuff...check it out!!

http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/
Good to hear about such options. I didn't read as carefully as I might have, but I got the impression that Moose is an alternated front-end to Squeezebox Server rather than a replacement.

poppachubby
04-01-2011, 03:30 AM

I have seen guys with Apple TV in their sigs, so it's being done. Can't report anymore than that, I am not familiar with ATV or anyone who uses it.

Wireless on the cheap is a tough one. It's not a category I am an expert in, but I know that most servers cost. They are worth it however...incredibly powerful machines. Oh and did I mention fun?!?! Of course I did. You wouldn't be dissapointed that's for sure.

You're in an apartment right? I am curious for a couple of reasons that aren't worth discussing if you are.

As for non wireless, I think a USB equipped DAC would be the way to go. I must say, next to my Squeezebox my soundcard was the best digital purchase I have ever made. Mine only has digital outputs, requiring post conversion but many are available with analog outputs. Infact soundcards of the external variety are pretty much all set up like that.

So do you have Apple TV?

noddin0ff
04-01-2011, 04:31 AM
AppleTV works fine. The constraints are you need to use iTunes and you need to use optical. The ATV has a mini optical output; most DACs have Toslink. So you need to pony up the extra $2 for one of these (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-968). The only other output from ATV is hdmi, which is also fine for audio. I don't know if there are hdmi DACs but obviously there are many good AV receivers.

If you want wireless network audio from Apple you can also use the Airport Express. Here you get minioptical and a wifi hub, no video.

I've been very happy with my budget DAC the MD-10 (discontinued) and I see there is now an MD-11 (http://www.pacificvalve.us/MusilandMD11.html)

Mingus
04-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Just received the Dacmagic DAC this morning. Connect the SB Touch and the second digital output from the Sony bluray to it. On first listen the sound exibit more detail especially the high frequency range through the Studio 60s Also a larger soundstage. So far so good.