its a RAID [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : its a RAID

hifitommy
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
ok, friday afternoon, off early so to Rockaway Records in Silver Lake, Califiornia, just a short distance from my job.

the three dollar cd specials:

chico hamilton-twelve tones of love-sealed.

B&W presents: ray russell-childscape featuring gil evans and mark isham.

stolen moments-red hot + cool-various artists

john zorn-naked city

mc laughlin/dimeola/de lucia-passion, grace, and fire

andre prevein-jazz at the musikverein

four dollars:

rahsaan roland kirk-the warner bors recordings

a modern jazz symposium of music and poetry with charles mingus

five dollars

oregon with the moscow tchaikowsky symphony orch-in moscow-tow disc set

eight bucks

john lee hooker-the healer-promo

a pretty good deal for $35.01 inc tax.

all except the healer in the jazz section, but the zorn aint jazz.

there was more to get but you gotta stop somewhere.

Luvin Da Blues
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
john lee hooker-the healer-promo.

:thumbsup:

hifitommy
03-04-2011, 10:18 PM
i would love to get the vinyl but wont pay a ludicrous price. i shall be patient.

Luvin Da Blues
03-05-2011, 04:00 AM
i would love to get the vinyl but wont pay a ludicrous price. i shall be patient.

I wish I had more of my blues collection on wax, including this little gem.It's been awhile since I have made my rounds to the record stores. Might have to motivate myself to do this soon.

Swish
03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I wish I had more of my blues collection on wax, including this little gem.It's been awhile since I have made my rounds to the record stores. Might have to motivate myself to do this soon.

Yes, I did the math, jerk that I am, and it looks like $39 before taxes. Just wondering? :)

hifitommy
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
either the clerk didnt charge me for one OR they gave me a disount untold. anyway, i am still wading through the selections.

so youre from pennsylTUCKY ?

Swish
03-05-2011, 03:40 PM
either the clerk didnt charge me for one OR they gave me a disount untold. anyway, i am still wading through the selections.

so youre from pennsylTUCKY ?

Pennsylvania has Philly on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in between, the bulk of whom are Steelers fans.

hifitommy
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
aRR, aRR, aRR!

bobsticks
03-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice haul Tommy.

I've got the McLaughlin/di Meola/De Lucia and it be fine...doubt you can go wrong with Roland Kirk or John Lee Hooker either. Good stuff.

hifitommy
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
another RAID

this time vinyl at amoeba hollywood. after work again, this time on saturday. i had gone to hollywood to find a record store i found an ad for in RECORD COLLECTOR NEWS ( http://www.<wbr>recordcollectornews.com/ (http://www.recordcollectornews.com/) ) only to see there was no parking in close proximity so i continued on down to sunset blvd.

$2:

a sealed copy of dave frishberg's 'the dave frishberg songbook No. 1'

paul horn-cleopatra

ralph towner-solstice/sound and shadows

laurel masse (formerly of the manhattan transfer)

$3:

camen mc rae/george shearing-tow for the road-on concord

$6:

ernestine anderson-never/make your move too soon-again on concord

a note about concord records: first of all, the standard issues by them are in the audiophile quality level. the LA4 discs are to die for. the other pleasure is that some of them have nylon inner sleeves printed with a mosaic of concord logos in silver. i just love that. there are nylon capitol sleeves with a big purple capitol logo that is a joy as well.

the ernestine anderson is one i am glad i waited for as i have seen premium reissues on LP and sacd at acoustic sounds and other sources so for six bucks i am a happy camper.

i have been listening to the cd stash i grabbed a couple of days ago and there are some pretty great things there. more on that later.