Close To The Edge [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Close To The Edge

MasterCylinder
03-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Still a great piece of work -- listened to this coming into town this morning.
Tension, resolve -- tension, resolve.
They could write that so well..............it was 1972.
Next year will mark the 40th year of this stuff...............I'm old.

Hyfi
03-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Next year will mark the 40th year of this stuff...............I'm old.

Hey MC, still on the same page here. I spun this gem just last week.

GMichael
03-04-2011, 06:17 AM
What a great idea. Think I'll pop this in on the way home tonight.

Thanks!

Troy
03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Yep, a classic.

Been working/road tripping with a photographer 10 years younger than me that never heard of Yes, except the 90125 hits. He was a goth / punk guy who also played in some atonal jazz bands in the 90s. So I've been hitting him with the occasional Yes album. He really liked some of it (CTTE, Topographic Oceans and Relayer) and hated some (The Yes Album). It's been fun to witness someone hearing something like that for the first time.

Even I have had something of a breakthru with Topographic Oceans, I suppose by osmosis. I can actually listen to those songs all the way through now.

MasterCylinder
03-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, a classic.

Been working/road tripping with a photographer 10 years younger than me that never heard of Yes, except the 90125 hits. He was a goth / punk guy who also played in some atonal jazz bands in the 90s. So I've been hitting him with the occasional Yes album. He really liked some of it (CTTE, Topographic Oceans and Relayer) and hated some (The Yes Album). It's been fun to witness someone hearing something like that for the first time.

Even I have had something of a breakthru with Topographic Oceans, I suppose by osmosis. I can actually listen to those songs all the way through now.

I can see where atonal jazz guys might like Relayer.
I transcribed TO BE OVER for a 7-piece percussion ensemble in college............it sounded great.............also..........I used to know THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD note for note............would play it every day in the rehearsal room............good stuff.

Swish
03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
...I saw them on this tour at Hershey Arena.

ForeverAutumn
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM

HA! :ciappa:

bobsticks
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

...and yer prog credential cup floweth over :cornut:

jonnyhambone
03-04-2011, 10:11 PM
vinyl of this currently coursing thru my head. been awhile and yes, it's awe-full. thanks for the reminder!

jrhymeammo
03-05-2011, 06:38 AM
New reissues are finally out in 180g.
I've got them in my checkout cart for about 4 weeks now.
I just haven't been able to make that final click for some reason.

It's one of the best classic albums of all time for me.

Swish
03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
HA! :ciappa:

...so don't get too excited. I don't own or listen to any by Yes..nor will I.

3LB
03-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Superb album, though its success would lead to further excess. My fave album is still G4T1.

There is actually going to be at least one more album of new material from these guys (sans Jon Anderson), slated for this year. Thats a 40 year span, something not a lot of musical acts can say - of course, I'm of a mind that maybe they shoulda stopped at 25 ;)