Did they rip off Alan Parsons? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did they rip off Alan Parsons?

Swish
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm certainly no fan of 'new country', but Lady Antebellum has been getting a lot of accolades of late. However, parts of this recent hit song appears to have borrowed its melody from Alan Parsons' 'I Can Read Your Mind'. If you don't want to hear the entire song, move ahead to about 1:07 and you will hear that familiar melody.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eB7T3lJ3dZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MasterCylinder
03-03-2011, 06:32 AM
The video will not play.
I'm guessing she ripped it off; however, 5 notes in a different context is not a copyright violation.

Swish
03-03-2011, 07:58 AM
The video will not play.
I'm guessing she ripped it off; however, 5 notes in a different context is not a copyright violation.

It's that whole 'I am the eye in the sky, looking at yooooooou, I can read your mind...."

Sound like a blatant ripoff.

bobsticks
03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons much less took the time to crib a tune. There's only so many permutations of notes, especially within Western music's modal system...even more so for composers that are guitarists.

ForeverAutumn
03-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons

I was actually a little surprised that Swish had heard of Alan Parsons. Just more of that deep-seated love for prog that he likes to try and hide.

bobsticks
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Ah, but his actions speak louder than his words. Ol' Swishy intevented these here internets which, as we know, saved prog rock. Don't believe me? Read here...http://aprogblog.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/prog-plot/

Only a true connoisseur would display such dedication.

Swish
03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons much less took the time to crib a tune. There's only so many permutations of notes, especially within Western music's modal system...even more so for composers that are guitarists.

It was stolen but I don't really care. I hated the Parsons song and I don't much like the plagiarized tune either. Since it sounds the same and all.

Swish
03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I was actually a little surprised that Swish had heard of Alan Parsons. Just more of that deep-seated love for prog that he likes to try and hide.

I find that curious since their 'hits' were basically 3-4 minute tunes with nary a tempo change.

ForeverAutumn
03-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I find that curious since their 'hits' were basically 3-4 minute tunes with nary a tempo change.

You're right. But I've always thought of Parsons as prog. I think of Steely Dan the same way. Although neither fit the definition, they fit the spirit. I can't listen to a tune like Lucifer and not think, "prog". I guess it's just how my brain has catologued them.

BTW, the video doesn't play. I get a message that says, "this video is private".

Swish
03-04-2011, 09:41 AM
You're right. But I've always thought of Parsons as prog. I think of Steely Dan the same way. Although neither fit the definition, they fit the spirit. I can't listen to a tune like Lucifer and not think, "prog". I guess it's just how my brain has catologued them.

BTW, the video doesn't play. I get a message that says, "this video is private".

There are so many genres and sub-genres that it's getting maddening and I can't keep track of all of them.

As for the video, not sure why it won't work. I clicked on it and it played just fine, but I just went to you tube and embedded it again.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1OfsZyYPLoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverAutumn
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
It appears to be a copyright issue. I now get a message that says, "This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds".

I don't know who Vevo is, but I should probably thank them for keeping Lady Antebellum out of Canada. :wink5: Although I find the grounds highly ironic if what you are saying about them ripping off an Alan Parsons tune is true. :D

3LB
03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
are we assuming Hillary Scott wrote any of it? Its been common knowledge that country music has employed writing think tanks for decades, with the credit being given to whatever flavor of the month. Don't know if that was the case w/ regards to this song (this is old news, btw).

and the name of the song is "Eye In The Sky", not "I Can Read Your Mind", but thanks for your concern there Swishy :p