Greetings. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings.

badhabit67
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
To all,from another audio junkie.

I got started in this hobby when I was a teenager,a long time ago. Couldn't afford much.
But from working on the family farm,and for others in the area,I managed to put togather enough to buy my first system. Than my military days came along and,thats all she wrote.
Stuff was cheap,in the PX's, and I spent most of my pay there.:crazy:
If only I knew back then,what I know now..... Oh well. I mainly dabble in solid state receivers,and a ton of speakers. I've got a bad habit of trying to make junk sound good,sometimes I'm successful,most of the time,I'm not. But thats the fun of our hobby,is to try. So,I'm looking forward to a enjoyable stay here,and some great conversations about audio.

A Great day to All
badhabit67

Hyfi
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Welcome BadHabit. Lots of good sounding junk around here.

What is your current system/s?

bobsticks
02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey hey badhabitguy,

Welcome to the forum. There's something terribly fun with the thrill of the chase, eh...scrounging the Bay, CL, the local Goodwills looking for that minty vintage piece to try in a new system configuration. I think system matching is half the fun of equipment side of this hobby.

I look forward to reading about the some of the combinations that have worked for you. There are several others 'round these parts that share your addiction to pairing receivers and sometimes obscure speakers (read: sometimes "junk", sometimes not). Hopefully they'll be along shortly and, in any case, welcome and enjoy...

---sticks

badhabit67
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the Welcome. Currently my system consists,of a Nikko 6065,with a pair of Advent baby speakers,in my computer room.
Then down in the basement,in my work area,I'm running a Sherwood S7650CP,with a pair of JBL G400's I picked up at the goodwill. I a&b with a pair of KLH 17's. Also a KR-7600,with a pair of LG.Advent,that a&b's with some home made cabs,filled with all eminence drivers.

dakatabg
02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Welcome, I see you got good gear!

badhabit67
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks again,
I'm trying to restock on my gear.Spent biggest part of last year in the hospital. My wife,with help from a good friend,sold 99% of my gear to help with bills...........
But things are a lot better now,and I'm on the hunt again. There's a few like ,or maybe must have items,if can be found at a reasonable price. The wife is always looking for gear when shes out at yard sales.
I responded to a cl ad 3 weeks ago,for 200 lps, got to the house and met a great lady, I'd say around 77-80 years young. She told me her son owned all the lp's and had passed due to a car wreak. She asked if I wanted to buy a radio also,I said sure,I'll look,turned out to be a KR-8010,I'll post some pic's later ,its' on the table for clean up. It was flithy,to make a long story short,I bought it and the lp's for 75 bucks.And she did not want that much,she said it was worth more to her to see someone get enjoyment out of them.
So everyonce in a while you do get lucky.

thekid
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Welcome BH.
Looks like you have some nice vintage gear there.

Dual-500
02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Audio Junkie eh? Sounds familiar. You certainly came to the right place.

At the 40+ year mark as a fellow Audio Junkie I, like many others will tell you it gets to thie point where the journey is as fun as the many destinations or stop off points it takes you to.

I've gotten to the point the main system is all DIY custom and it's always nice as it evolves into something more than it was. There's really endless things to learn. Sharing with other hobbyists is a pleasure and adds much to the overall experience.

Welcome to the forums amigo.

Here's a little ditty fer ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMkx0vTazM Audio isn't very good, but it's a classic performance on The Midnight Special.

A studio mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uroKI4lWuT8&feature=related

From the Live Anthology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gezufxbab-g&feature=related

I can remember running the clubs in the 80's and hearing a band named Onyx cover that one.......rockin mutha!