Examples of jam bands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Examples of jam bands?

Finch Platte
04-11-2004, 01:58 PM
I was playing the loverly Govt Mule comp DaveGeeze made for me (hey, Dave, thanks to you, I've got 2 of their discs coming from Django's- Deep End, 2 CDs and a DVD, have you seen it? and Dose. Tower wants $27 for Deep End, and Django's had it used for $17) boy, do I digress.

I think GM is a jam band, but boy, are the solos tasty- not the noodling you might find on say, a Grateful Dead live disc.

I'm also getting into Widespread Panic, but am afraid to get a live disc- the two studio discs I have (Ball and Don't Tell The Band), are comprised of nice, fairly concise tunes.

What are some more examples of jam band stuff?

Thanques,

elf pee

Finch Platte
04-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I posted this over at CMJ, and not only did I get 5 responses in less than a half-hour, one included exactly what I needed: jambands.com. D'oh!

Thanks to all ten of you who viewed my post in that same time and couldn't be bothered to answer. :p

fp

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I posted this over at CMJ, and not only did I get 5 responses in less than a half-hour, one included exactly what I needed: jambands.com. D'oh!

Thanks to all ten of you who viewed my post in that same time and couldn't be bothered to answer. :p

fpI was trying to think of an answer besides "Phish" -- but you said you found the examples you cited as better than the Dead, and I wasn't really sure what the differentiating factor was. Phish are very Dead-like, even in the multi-lead-vocalist delivery. But for some reason, I find them better. I only have one Phish album (I think -- might have another somewhere) -- the one with the cover of the complete Remain in Light, which I didn't like -- the rest of the album had its moments, but the album cover just left me wanting to go back and listen to the original.

You may also like moe.

mad rhetorik
04-11-2004, 05:57 PM
The major exception to this rule are the almighty Allman Brothers, though they probably aren't widely considered a "jam" band--more like Southern rock. They regularly stretch out their songs in a live setting. At their famous Filmore East concerts in 1971 (before Duane Allman died) they played a 23-minute version of "Whipping Post" and a 35-40 minute improv titled "Mountain Jam," along with a few other jams that were in the 10-minute range.

For improvisational ability and instrumental talent, nobody tops the Allmans in my book (even sans Duane). However, the Derek Trucks Band, an Allmans spinoff (Trucks replaced Dickey Betts as lead guitarist for the Allmans) is another respectable outfit. My Morning Jacket is also pretty good, though they are generally more song-oriented than most "jam" bands.

Finch Platte
04-11-2004, 06:04 PM
The major exception to this rule are the almighty Allman Brothers, though they probably aren't widely considered a "jam" band--more like Southern rock. They regularly stretch out their songs in a live setting. At their famous Filmore East concerts in 1971 (before Duane Allman died) they played a 23-minute version of "Whipping Post" and a 35-40 minute improv titled "Mountain Jam," along with a few other jams that were in the 10-minute range.

For improvisational ability and instrumental talent, nobody tops the Allmans in my book (even sans Duane). However, the Derek Trucks Band, an Allmans spinoff (Trucks replaced Dickey Betts as lead guitarist for the Allmans) is another respectable outfit. My Morning Jacket is also pretty good, though they are generally more song-oriented than most "jam" bands.

...you say most jam bands suck. If you go to jambands.com, you'll see a buttload of bands that really shouldn't be on there (Slipknot!?!). But, that's the only thing saving me, as I can use their leeway to flesh out the comp I'm making :D

And thanks for your response ;)

ep

Hyfi
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Check this out Gary...

Jam:
1. (noun): preserve of crushed fruit
2. (verb): to perform extended musical improvisations towards a higher purpose of spiritual enlightenment, social transcendance and pure joy for both artist and audience.

Jamnation:
1. (noun): 88.5 WXPN's weekly radio program hosted by Ali Castellini focusing on the the best in Jam Bands new and old

http://www.xpn.org/jamnation.php

Monday nights at 8 eastern time you can listen to this show live on your pc. Here is a typical playlist.

8:00 Pm
Soulive, Turn It Out, Live From Bonnaroo
Derek Trucks Band/Greg Allman, Drown In My Own Tears, Soul Serenade
Widespread Panic, Fishing, Ball
The String Cheese Incident, Valley Of The Jig, Untying The Knot
The Allman Brothers/Greg Allman, Desdemona, Hittin' The Note
Steve Winwood/Traffic, Different Light, About Time
Steve Winwood/Traffic, Why Can't We Live Together~, World Cafe Session
Trey Anastasio, Cayman Review~, W.C. Session
Gov't Mule, Patchwork Quilt, The Deepest End
Bluestring, Pick Me Up, Bluestring

Have fun,
Hyfi

BarryL
04-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I was playing the loverly Govt Mule comp DaveGeeze made for me (hey, Dave, thanks to you, I've got 2 of their discs coming from Django's- Deep End, 2 CDs and a DVD, have you seen it? and Dose. Tower wants $27 for Deep End, and Django's had it used for $17) boy, do I digress.

I think GM is a jam band, but boy, are the solos tasty- not the noodling you might find on say, a Grateful Dead live disc.

I'm also getting into Widespread Panic, but am afraid to get a live disc- the two studio discs I have (Ball and Don't Tell The Band), are comprised of nice, fairly concise tunes.

What are some more examples of jam band stuff?

Thanques,

elf pee

Check out Ozric Tentacles. A very strange fusion indeed, but they've been doing it now for about 20 years or so.