Time (The Revelator) ... what a great sounding CD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time (The Revelator) ... what a great sounding CD

Davey
02-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm kind of an alt-country and folk kinda guy so don't listen to much new country, and this one isn't too modern anymore either, but Gillian Welch and her husband/partner/whatever David Rawlings made a modern classic with "Time (the Revelator)", and a very nice sounding CD it is too. I think Swish Daddy is on board here too (or maybe just bored). Not really quite what I call country, but recorded simply, live in the studio with just a couple of Neumann mikes, Gillian and David, banjo and vintage acoustic guitars, and a lot of good music. Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments." OK, whatever you say Jill :)

Luvin Da Blues
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments." OK, whatever you say Jill :)

Good stuff Davey. R U familiar with her collaboration with Mark Knopfler on his Sailing To Philadelphia album titled "Speedway At Nazareth"?

Davey
02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Good stuff Davey. R U familiar with her collaboration with Mark Knopfler on his Sailing To Philadelphia album titled "Speedway At Nazareth"?
I don't have that record though I have heard it, but truth be told I'm not a big Mark Knopfler fan, at least not past the first couple Dire Straits records, and don't remember that song. I'll have to snag a copy and listen. I know it's regarded highly by many. Thanks Luv.

Swish
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
...my wife and I saw them live at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CA, just north of San Diego, and it was fantastic. It's a fairly small venue and the crowd was so quiet while they played that you could hear a pin drop. They player nearly the entire Time record, but the tour was to promote her newly released (and not nearly as good) Soul Journey.

She signed cds after the show and I was granted my personal request to have a picture taken with her. Very cool indeed, and she was a total sweetheart.

Mr MidFi
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
My buddy in music appreciation, Larry the Graphic Designer, is a tremendous fan of that album. I'm somewhat familiar with it, just from hearing it in his office. She's a real talent.

FWIW, I think she brings a whole lot to the table on that latest Decemberists album, too.

Davey
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
FWIW, I think she brings a whole lot to the table on that latest Decemberists album, too.
can't argue there ...

<object width='442' height='375' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='ep'><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/tbs_432x243_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=235054' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#FFFFFF' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/tbs_432x243_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=235054' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>