Doubt about surround back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Doubt about surround back

Ricardo ferreira
04-11-2004, 11:16 AM
With a system H.T. 6.1, what speaker has the better quality: Surround? or Surround back ? thanks for helping.

chimera128
04-12-2004, 06:22 AM
With a system H.T. 6.1, what speaker has the better quality: Surround? or Surround back ? thanks for helping.

Surrounds are two discrete channels. Surround back (rear center) is just 1 channel. In terms of quality, as most soundtracks are still in 5.1, you may want to spend more on (if you don't have speakers already) the two rear surrounds and wait to get the rear center. When you do buy a rear center I would try to get the same speaker or at least one that is closely timbered to your other speakers in the rear. For the rears I am using two large towers, and for the rear center two monitors (due to budgetary limitations) wired through a subwoofer that I already owned. Since the speakers use basically the same tweeter though I don't really hear a major difference in pans when the rear center is being used. That being said, I plan on replacing the two monitors with larger monitors using the same midrange/bass driver and tweeter as the two towers. I'd get 2 more towers, but after seeing all the towers I came to the conclusion that it would just look plain odd =/.