HDTV with internet application- worthwhile or not? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV with internet application- worthwhile or not?

Poultrygeist
02-22-2011, 04:59 AM
My wife likes the LG 55LE5400 LED as it has internet apps. The Amazon price is pretty good but is this really a worthwhile option?

noddin0ff
02-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Depends on the apps and if you have other internet options, I suppose. Are you getting a blu ray player also? For me the apps on the BD were redundant with what could be on the TV, so I went with a more basic TV, figuring that if Apps things evolved fast, it would be easier to get a new small device rather than a TV. After that, it's worth looking into what apps are offered. They likely vary by brand.

Mr Peabody
02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I got the internet streaming feature on my new Toshiba. I bought it I believe last November. I'm wondering if I spent too much as we actually haven't used the feature much. With regular satelite viewing and the occasional Blu-ray disc rental it just doesn't leave a lot of time to mess with it. I hate to rule it out because we might get to playing with it and have it catch on but for us it hasn't yet. I think it depends on who uses the TV and their viewing habits. Also, as mentioned there's a few other ways to get the same access.

Woochifer
02-23-2011, 05:08 PM
On the whole, LG knows how to fill up a spec sheet and feature checklist, and they generally deliver excellent value on that basis. But, features alone should not decide the TV for you.

A lot of features, especially internet apps, either go unused or duplicate functions already done by other devices. For one thing, LG's NetCast features also come with their Blu-ray players (other manufacturers also bundle internet apps with their Blu-ray players), which cost a lot less. Also, consider that most of the services bundled into those NetCast apps cost extra. Want Vudu movies? Want Netflix? Want Roxio Cinema? Pay up, because those all require fees.

To make your decision, look up some reviews for how the TV handles basic functions -- the picture quality, how easy the TV is to calibrate to reference specs, user interface and controls, reliability, etc. LG in particular can vary a lot between models. Some models are great, others not so great. In the past, they've made some puzzling design choices with some models, like the 120 Hz HDTVs that didn't allow you to switch off the TruMotion feature (IMO, that was a dealkiller because motion interpolation destroys the image quality, and those LG models didn't allow you to disable it). Doesn't seem like the model you chose has that particular problem.

But, I think you need to spend some time with the TV. Get familiar with the functions, and how everything fits together. Purchasing a TV because of a deal is the worst reason. Getting one primarily for internet apps is not far behind.

Poultrygeist
02-24-2011, 06:17 AM
good info- thanks Woo