Pioneer Elite SC-37 vs. other $1500 receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Elite SC-37 vs. other $1500 receivers

HitsOfMisses
02-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm considering Pioneer Elite SC-37 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-37)receiver (THX Ultra2 Plus, 1.4a 3D HDMI, 7.1 channel, 140w, etc.).

How does the SC-37 compare to other receivers from say Marantz, Denon, Rotel or any other not-so-new/ used/ refurbished receivers in $1500 price range? My current needs are 1 room with 5.1 but I would like to have the option to stretch it to another room & 7.1 max.

I mostly stream movies or play on Blu-Ray & occassionaly listen to music.

Please let me know the make & model that meets my need & where to buy it.

Thank you!

Mr Peabody
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
You may be able to find this model a bit closer to your budget at another retailer and I've known for Crutchfield to match other reputable online retailers price. In a shoot out between Elite, Onkyo & Yamaha, top models a friend and I clearly found the Yamaha to have better sound quality. This model has everything you want including built in streaming features. http://www.crutchfield.com/s_022RXA3000/Yamaha-RX-A3000.html?search=yamaha+receiver

I've found the Marantz receivers to be good performers but have not heard one beside Yamaha.

pixelthis
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
The "CRUTCH " charges retail, excepting the occasional sale.
CHECK OUT vanns.com. As for Pioneer, don't like em. Just remember what they used
to be. And for 1500 you can do better, a LOT better.Just sayin.
Mr P is right about Yamaha, not as good as they used to be, but what is?
1500 IS A DIFFICULT AREA, not enough for a pre-pro/amp combo(preferred), but
receivers are reaching the point of diminishing returns.
Think outside the box. get a decent 800 or so receiver with pre outs. HOOK up some amps,
like EMOTIVA or ADCOM, to the front three or two channels at least.
This will sound way better than any 1500 dollar receiver. I KNOW, tried it, doing it.:1:

BadAssJazz
02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
If your heart is set on a PE, and the lack of HDMI 1.4, 3D, and Marvel chip capabilities aren't necessarily deal breakers, you can pick up a previous year model...say the SC27... at much cheaper price.

The same logic applies to the Yamaha Z series or Marantz or Onkyo penultimate flagship models. The features between last year and this year's models aren't so groundbreaking that you can't forego them.

As for whether or not a receiver is ever worth $1,500, irrespective of brand, I'd have to say no. The better option would be to save up a bit more and go with either a pre-owned Onkyo PR-SC885/886 or a Marantz AV8003 processor (again, assuming that the new standards for HDMI and 3D capabilities aren't deal breakers) and pick up a decent multi-channel amp.

pixelthis
02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
If your heart is set on a PE, and the lack of HDMI 1.4, 3D, and Marvel chip capabilities aren't necessarily deal breakers, you can pick up a previous year model...say the SC27... at much cheaper price.

The same logic applies to the Yamaha Z series or Marantz or Onkyo penultimate flagship models. The features between last year and this year's models aren't so groundbreaking that you can't forego them.

As for whether or not a receiver is ever worth $1,500, irrespective of brand, I'd have to say no. The better option would be to save up a bit more and go with either a pre-owned Onkyo PR-SC885/886 or a Marantz AV8003 processor (again, assuming that the new standards for HDMI and 3D capabilities aren't deal breakers) and pick up a decent multi-channel amp.

I agree that when you are approaching 1500 bucks separates start to look competitive.
However there are quite a few receivers out there well worth 1500 bucks, even more than that.
MAY NOT BE THE OPTIMUM choice, but they do have the value for the money.
A LOT of less expensive receivers are of good enough quality to act as pre-pros in
a moderately price system, saving more money for amps and such.:1:

BadAssJazz
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I agree that when you are approaching 1500 bucks separates start to look competitive.
However there are quite a few receivers out there well worth 1500 bucks, even more than that.
MAY NOT BE THE OPTIMUM choice, but they do have the value for the money.
A LOT of less expensive receivers are of good enough quality to act as pre-pros in
a moderately price system, saving more money for amps and such.:1:

I see your point and agree to an extent.

After all, I've been guilty of plopping down almost $1,500 for receivers in the past and feeling as giddy as Angelina Jolie's first lover after buying them; I experienced zero buyer's remorse.

And I've also gone the mid-tier "receiver as pre/pro + separate amp" route and had no complaints. It was definitely cheaper on the wallet than buying the matching separates pre/pro and multichannel amp.

And finally, the fact that I'm currently using a receiver, even though I can now afford separates (or an audiophile grade receiver) probably reveals as much about my appreciation of receivers as it does about my fiscal sense.

However, having said that, I still think that given the budget and current offerings, he/she should consider the separates route first before going with a receiver costing $1500. It doesn't hurt to become familiar with the standard point of reference (separates) that is most often trumpeted by audio enthusiasts. Otherwise they'll often wonder how their receiver measures up. I've heard quite a few flagship receiver owners in my time wrestle with that same nagging question.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2011, 07:56 PM
One would be hard pressed to get a quality processor for $1500.00 and that's not hardly the price of a flagship receiver, most manufacturer's flagship is at least twice as much. When you get over the $3k range I do feel separates are a better value than same price receiver. You can get into Rotel separates for under $4k. Usually separates are less feature orientated and more performance orientated.

BadAssJazz
02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
One would be hard pressed to get a quality processor for $1500.00 and that's not hardly the price of a flagship receiver, most manufacturer's flagship is at least twice as much. When you get over the $3k range I do feel separates are a better value than same price receiver. You can get into Rotel separates for under $4k. Usually separates are less feature orientated and more performance orientated.

I was under the impression that the OP was speaking in terms of used equipment, not necessarily brand spanking new. You're right: if shopping for new, a receiver may be the only option. But going with used equipment opens up more possibilities.

You can find a pre-owned Onkyo PR-SC885 for about $900 on Audiogon these days. Same for the NAD M15 pre/pro. The Marantz AV8003 can be had for around $1300 and the 7005 for around $1100 at Accessories4Less, if renewed to manufacturer specs isn't a deal breaker. I also saw a Yamaha RX-Z7 (not the most current flagship model, but still a damn good unit) on Audiogon for around $1000 a few weeks back.

True enough, used Rotel 1500 series processors are still maintaining their value, but the receivers (again, pre-owned) turn up on eBay from time to time for about $1500.

The Emotiva pre/pro (UMC-1?) gets high marks on some blogs, and at only $700 asking price, but I've not tested it myself, nor will I until the company has proven that it has staying power.

Speaking of staying power, whatever happened to Outlaw Audio? Are they still around? Must google...

blackraven
02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Go with Emotiva-$1300 gets you this-

http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

pixelthis
02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I see your point and agree to an extent.

After all, I've been guilty of plopping down almost $1,500 for receivers in the past and feeling as giddy as Angelina Jolie's first lover after buying them; I experienced zero buyer's remorse.

And I've also gone the mid-tier "receiver as pre/pro + separate amp" route and had no complaints. It was definitely cheaper on the wallet than buying the matching separates pre/pro and multichannel amp.

And finally, the fact that I'm currently using a receiver, even though I can now afford separates (or an audiophile grade receiver) probably reveals as much about my appreciation of receivers as it does about my fiscal sense.

However, having said that, I still think that given the budget and current offerings, he/she should consider the separates route first before going with a receiver costing $1500. It doesn't hurt to become familiar with the standard point of reference (separates) that is most often trumpeted by audio enthusiasts. Otherwise they'll often wonder how their receiver measures up. I've heard quite a few flagship receiver owners in my time wrestle with that same nagging question.

The most I EVER paid was 1200$, and it was pretty good, but that is the last time I will
pay that much for such a compromised choice as a receiver.
I have one now, but the left/right channels have extra ommp with an external amp.
Always living in a smaller place, thought a receiver was fine for the job, but they just don't have the "push" that a decent amp does.
Nowadays a vocalist sounds like they are in the room, none of that "running outta gas" feeling with difficult passages. AND ALL FOR 250 BUCKS ON SALE.
I was skeptical of Emotiva at first, but their gear is truly first rate. The receiver can handle
the other three channels, for now at least.:1:

Mr Peabody
02-25-2011, 04:01 PM
If one had funds left for an amp an AV8003 for $1300.00 is a no brainer. It's current except for 3D, it even has streaming features & HD tuner on top of sounding very good.

HitsOfMisses
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all your replies & suggestions. I guess, the consensus is that separates (pre-amp, processor, amp, etc.) is a better choice then going just for a receiver. So far the recommendations are for Emotiva (UPA-7, UMC-1), Marantz (AV8003), Onkyo (PR-SC885), etc.

I'm not loyal to a specific brand. The focus is on great video & audio w/o the need to keep spending money on upgrades every now & then. Not sure if I should consider 3D (not a priority) or HDMI 1.4a as I read somewhere that 1.4a is only for the video & is not great for audio!?!

Currently, I have a Kenwood VR-4090 (5.1, non-HDMI, 10yrs old) receiver, Sony BX-57 Blu-Ray player, & Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II front & center. I've JBL S312 for rears that I'm planning to replace & on a fence if I really need Oppo 93/95. Will Oppo 95 compensate need for either amp or pre-amp? Will that combination deliver the same or better quality?

Oh, it's too confusing. I think it would have been better if I would have listed my current setup & should have asked what is the best route to take with $1500 budget (excluding cost of a BD player)?

pixelthis
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all your replies & suggestions. I guess, the consensus is that separates (pre-amp, processor, amp, etc.) is a better choice then going just for a receiver. So far the recommendations are for Emotiva (UPA-7, UMC-1), Marantz (AV8003), Onkyo (PR-SC885), etc.

I'm not loyal to a specific brand. The focus is on great video & audio w/o the need to keep spending money on upgrades every now & then. Not sure if I should consider 3D (not a priority) or HDMI 1.4a as I read somewhere that 1.4a is only for the video & is not great for audio!?!

Currently, I have a Kenwood VR-4090 (5.1, non-HDMI, 10yrs old) receiver, Sony BX-57 Blu-Ray player, & Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II front & center. I've JBL S312 for rears that I'm planning to replace & on a fence if I really need Oppo 93/95. Will Oppo 95 compensate need for either amp or pre-amp? Will that combination deliver the same or better quality?

Oh, it's too confusing. I think it would have been better if I would have listed my current setup & should have asked what is the best route to take with $1500 budget (excluding cost of a BD player)?

Nothing confusing about it.
YOU NEED a new control center, a ten year old KENWOOD aint gonna cut it.
You have a Sony BLU, only reason you would need the OPPO is for SACD and DVDA,
imho.
On the other hand, a ten year old receiver is, for all practical purposes, obsolete a few times over.
A NEWER ONE would give HDMI switching, the newer codecs, maybe auto EQ gadgets
like Auddessy, and so on. NOT to mention newer tech all way around.
UPGRADE your control center, keep the horse before the cart.:1:

Mr Peabody
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
I think you are on the right track with upgrading the receiver first.

Mr Peabody
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I think you are on the right track with upgrading the receiver first. If I understand your question, the Oppo would not take place of either amp or preamp, it is merely a player.

pixelthis
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I think you are on the right track with upgrading the receiver first. If I understand your question, the Oppo would not take place of either amp or preamp, it is merely a player.

THANKS for the support.
I found this out the hard way, buying an expensive Pioneer tape deck(450 in the late seventies) when I had a pukey receiver to plug it into.
BEEN THERE, done that, got the tee shirt and the bobblehead doll.:1: