Speaker choice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker choice

johnnydee2
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
This is my first post, i am looking to up grade my speakers to either axiom M80 fronts,axiom VP150 center, axiom QS8 surrounds and an axiom EP500 sub or polk RTI A9 fronts,polk CSI A4 center, polk FXI A6 surrounds and a polk DSW 550 sub i am using a Yamaha RX-A2000 avr with 1 Emotiva XPA 2 fronts and 1 XPA 3 center and surrounds any input on these speakers would be appreciated thank you

JoeE SP9
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome to AR!

Have you listened to any of your prospective speaker choices? My usual advice on speakers is, don't buy what you haven't heard and liked. I don't recommend any particular speaker. Speakers are the most personal and different of all audio gear. What I like you may hate and vice versa.

Everyone doesn't feel this way and you will probably get a whole slew of recommendations of every posters individual favorite. The fact that there will be so many different choices supports what I've posted.

Listen for yourself buy what you like and please your own ears.

TheHills44060
02-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Between the 2 choices I'd go the Axiom route but what your ears will prefer is anyone's guess.

woofersus
02-23-2011, 09:45 AM
There are a lot of options in that price range. I'd recommend looking around a little more. I haven't heard the Polks so I can't comment there, but I'm not a fan of Axiom's designs. The dual tweeters thing is completely illogical and causes all kinds of problems. Some people love them, though, so I guess they suit some tastes.

Ajani
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
This is my first post, i am looking to up grade my speakers to either axiom M80 fronts,axiom VP150 center, axiom QS8 surrounds and an axiom EP500 sub or polk RTI A9 fronts,polk CSI A4 center, polk FXI A6 surrounds and a polk DSW 550 sub i am using a Yamaha RX-A2000 avr with 1 Emotiva XPA 2 fronts and 1 XPA 3 center and surrounds any input on these speakers would be appreciated thank you

I'd suggest scratching the Axiom M80 off the list. The M80 is notorious for sending the Emotiva XPA-2 into protect mode... Due to the design choices made by both Axiom and Emotiva, the two products don't work well together. See linked article for details on the problem:

http://www.emonatics.com/M80XPA-2.shtml

woofersus
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd suggest scratching the Axiom M80 off the list. The M80 is notorious for sending the Emotiva XPA-2 into protect mode... Due to the design choices made by both Axiom and Emotiva, the two products don't work well together. See linked article for details on the problem:

http://www.emonatics.com/M80XPA-2.shtml

Link broken?

It's not a secret why M80ti's were so hard to drive though. The total impedence dropped to 2.4 ohms between 10hz and 20hz. It appears the v2's improved upon that situation by adding a formerly missing high pass filter to the midrange drivers. That's probably the only change, but it was an important one.

Ajani
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Link broken?

It still works for me...

It's not a secret why M80ti's were so hard to drive though. The total impedence dropped to 2.4 ohms between 10hz and 20hz. It appears the v2's improved upon that situation by adding a formerly missing high pass filter to the midrange drivers. That's probably the only change, but it was an important one.

OK, I didn't know they fixed it in version 2... So hopefully the current version has a high pass filter as well...

woofersus
02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
It still works for me...

OK, I didn't know they fixed it in version 2... So hopefully the current version has a high pass filter as well...

Maybe they were changing something in the matrix just then. The link works for me now...

I was suggested by Danny Richie that the improvement in the bottom end of the impedance curve was a direct result of adding said high pass filter. He did measurements (highly controversial ones in Axiom-land) of the M80ti and illustrated the lack of a high-pass filter (some on the Axiom boards wouldn't even believe him on that) as well as the problems in the impedance curve. (he measured the 2.4 ohms that I was speaking of)

The big problems, though, were in the off-axis craziness caused by the dual tweeters. There have been other measurements of the M80's taken that looked pretty good, but they were all averaged axial measurements rather than individual measurements at specific off-axis points. The vertical off-axis measurement graphs looked like a plate of spaghetti....

filecat13
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Mmmmmmm! Spaghetti!

Good in the mouth, not so good in the ears.

devuonoste
02-25-2011, 10:54 PM
As mentioned by others there are many options. Try to audition as much as possible to get an idea of what sound you like. Then do as much research as possible to try to come up with a concise list of candidates. Also, I would look into internet direct choices as well as others and then through your research you can try to make comparisons between various speakers and come up with options that suit your tastes. I think internet direct will give you best bang for your buck, not taking into account do it yourself options. With internet direct you can try the speakers for a 30 or 60 day period and if you don't like them you can return them; however, most places require that you pay shipping. It is important to be patient and do your homework, as you don't want to be continually buying and sending back speakers.

Another important consideration is getting gear that will work for your system and room characteristics.

Some choices to consider:

Emotiva speakers. I've seen a number of customer reviews that seem very positive and I think they would match better with your Emo. amps than the Axioms.

Also, you can research other options like Aperion, PSB, etc.

Good luck with your search.

harley .guy07
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
If I were to go with Axiom I would probably go with the 60's not the 80's mostly because I would not need the duel tweeters and the problems associated with it and also the thought of the possible brightness. But I do prefer Axiom as a company rather than Polk due to the fact that Axiom is made themselves in Canada, not saying that their drivers or cabinets aren't made in china or something but Polk audio is owned by a huge company that owns several audio brands and in my opinion every one of them is just a shadow of itself before they were bought out. Polk audio was a good speaker company if the 80's but now I look at them like I do Infinity. Just another Best Buy type brand. Just my opinion. I would not close myself in to just these two brands I would look around and see what else is out there too because there are several brands out there that sound better than wither one you are talking about. Dynaudio being one and there are many more.